FFFFFFFFFFFFFF..... 91 in a 65 in Jersey

Started by 12,000 RPM, December 07, 2013, 04:35:54 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 03:51:35 PM
I don't have a CDL but I imagine a CDL would be more stringent.

It must have been nice for you to have multiple state licenses.  Being able to play "ticket roulette" is a nice advantage. :devil:

Actually, it had to do with getting oversize permits cheaper.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TurboDan

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2013, 02:37:59 PM
I did. I can't just forget it. The world doesn't work that way.

Are you sure they're not sending it to your NY address and it's being forwarded to NC?

Regardless, do you really think the New Jersey State Police is going to send a trooper down to North Carolina to arrest you over a traffic ticket that you already paid and has been cleared from the system? If they thought you did something illegal with the licenses, you would have been charged at the scene. They're not in the business of triple checking a random speeding ticket that has already been paid to see if addresses match up. You paid the damn thing. That's all they really care about.

Or are you just worried about the points?

MX793

Quote from: TurboDan on December 14, 2013, 04:53:40 PM
Are you sure they're not sending it to your NY address and it's being forwarded to NC?

Regardless, do you really think the New Jersey State Police is going to send a trooper down to North Carolina to arrest you over a traffic ticket that you already paid and has been cleared from the system? If they thought you did something illegal with the licenses, you would have been charged at the scene. They're not in the business of triple checking a random speeding ticket that has already been paid to see if addresses match up. You paid the damn thing. That's all they really care about.

Or are you just worried about the points?

I think his bigger concern is points ending up on his NC license and other penalties.  Per NC traffic laws, if you're going 15+ over the limit and your vehicle is traveling over 55 mph, it's an automatic 30-day license suspension.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on December 14, 2013, 05:02:52 PM
I think his bigger concern is points ending up on his NC license and other penalties.  Per NC traffic laws, if you're going 15+ over the limit and your vehicle is traveling over 55 mph, it's an automatic 30-day license suspension.

I'm guessing that's unlikely since the NC license wasn't the one to which the ticket was issued.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

12,000 RPM

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 08:54:09 PM
I'm guessing that's unlikely since the NC license wasn't the one to which the ticket was issued.
It's probably likely. Man paying that ticket was a bad decision. I'm probably gonna have to sell the car.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2013, 09:20:30 PM
It's probably likely. Man paying that ticket was a bad decision. I'm probably gonna have to sell the car.

Talk to a lawyer in North Carolina, if only to get the information you need.  You might be able to put your mind to rest.  If not, then count on the incompetence and inefficiency of government that we're always talking about.  Maybe they'll never connect the dots.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2013, 09:20:30 PM

Ride it out and see what happens first. No need to fret over it now.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2013, 09:23:27 PM
Ride it out and see what happens first. No need to fret over it now.

I agree.  I still think it will probably come to nothing.

Still, it's always good to have all available information before making a decision.

Rich

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 08:54:09 PM

Did he hand over his registration or maybe they can see his address from the license plate # on the ticket?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 15, 2013, 12:24:49 AM
Did he hand over his registration or maybe they can see his address from the license plate # on the ticket?
That's exactly how the troopers got it.

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2013, 06:47:07 AM
That's exactly how the troopers got it.

Talk to a New Jersey lawyer.  Maybe they'll let you withdraw your guilty plea and plead it down.  All they care about is getting your money.

Also, talk to a lawyer in North Carolina to get the real scoop.  Sorry about your troubles, man.  I think if you make the right moves, you'll come out OK.

SVT_Power

I dunno if I'm the odd one out, but I would think as soon as you sign that ticket and mail it in pleading guilty, there's no going back unless you claim someone fraudulently signed it and mailed it in...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 15, 2013, 09:17:43 AM
I dunno if I'm the odd one out, but I would think as soon as you sign that ticket and mail it in pleading guilty, there's no going back unless you claim someone fraudulently signed it and mailed it in...

Probably true,  but it can't hurt to investigate.

TurboDan

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on December 15, 2013, 01:44:15 PM
Ain't looking good:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/730976-out-state-ticket-suspended-license-nc.html

Talk about ass-backwards traffic laws in that state. Sorry Sporty.  :frown:

I hope they don't make the connection between the NY and NC licenses.  Sporty should definitely talk to a NJ lawyer.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on December 15, 2013, 02:15:33 PM
I hope they don't make the connection between the NY and NC licenses.  Sporty should definitely talk to a NJ lawyer.

Pretty sure once you swear your guilt to the court under the threat of perjury and write the state a check, it's a settled matter. His saving grace will be if NJ MVC notifies New York and not N.C. I don't know how the NJ MVC computers work and how well the states are connected to each other, and whether it goes by the license presented at the scene or if there's a larger database that just searches out the driver wherever he or she may be licensed.

12,000 RPM

Car is registered in NC probably connected to my license. So yea, I'm fucked. I might get dropped from my insurer and a whole slew of other fun stuff. Whatever. I'm gonna hit up some NJ lawyers tomorrow and see if there is anything I can do.

MX793

Why would your insurance company drop you?  Is your record that bad?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2013, 05:35:26 PM
Why would your insurance company drop you?  Is your record that bad?

With this ticket, it might be. Depending on how it plays out.

I still say wait and see.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 15, 2013, 05:39:29 PM
With this ticket, it might be. Depending on how it plays out.

I still say wait and see.

Must depend on the insurance company.  Based on my policy description, mine only seems to care about incidents that result in damage and a claim.  As best as I can tell, they only assign one point (if that, it's not clear in the literature) for a traffic conviction in which there was not accident or injury.

I just find it hard to believe that one accident from a couple of years ago (?) and a speeding ticket (not reckless driving, just speeding) would result in someone getting the boot unless there's more on Sporty's driving record than I'm aware of.  An increase in rates, maybe, but not being dropped outright.
Needs more Jiggawatts

TurboDan

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
Car is registered in NC probably connected to my license. So yea, I'm fucked. I might get dropped from my insurer and a whole slew of other fun stuff. Whatever. I'm gonna hit up some NJ lawyers tomorrow and see if there is anything I can do.

Does it have NC plates? I'm surprised the cop didn't ask you if you had an NC license (or question the NY license) since you were driving a car, registered to you, at a North Carolina address with North Carolina plates.

hounddog

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
Relax.

Thousands of people have cars registered in a state other than where they live, read: vacation properties.

It is a non-issue as far as that goes.  The only reason to bring this to the attention of pretty much anyone is if someone asks you about it from an official department.  The easiest way to make your screw up go away is to pay the ticket and make it just go away.

And put your NY license in a desk drawer for when you are 50 to laugh at how young you looked.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 15, 2013, 09:17:43 AM
No, as long as you just admit the "accident" when confronted you should be fine. 

"Accidents" happen all the time like this.  :huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

12,000 RPM

All I have on my record in the last 3 years is that bike accident and this ticket. So they probably won't drop me. But I am thinking my license will get suspended, which along with the violation will spike the hell out of my rates. I was less than a year from the bike thing being off my record too :facepalm:

And I could have just paid a lawyer to make it go away. Whatever you live and you learn.

MX793

In a couple of months the bike should clear and your rates should go back down if they do spike.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Sadly another classic example of the irrational hegemony of speed enforcement rearing ts ugly head after all is said and done...

Example #14 as why ALL moving violations MUST be fought with a lawyer WITHOUT exception. 

Tave

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 03:45:23 PM
Interesting.   When I switched my license from New York to Connecticut, I was required to surrender my New York license at the Connecticut DMV.  There was a special part of the license application for reciprocity that included waiving the written and road test and surrenduring the other license.

A lot of states do that, NC doesn't for whatever reason. They don't even punch VOID on the old one.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

hounddog

Quote from: TurboDan on December 15, 2013, 01:44:15 PM
Ain't looking good:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/730976-out-state-ticket-suspended-license-nc.html

Talk about ass-backwards traffic laws in that state. Sorry Sporty.  :frown:
That was NJ notifying NC of the infraction because the ticket was written on a NC license.

Since he (improperly) used the old NY license, I am not sure NC will find out about it.  Maybe, if NJ just sends out all out of state tickets to all 49 other states as a matter of course (which I cannot imagine they do).

I think you are worried about the chick with the egg yet to be hatched. 

If this results in a suspended license, the 'ball' is already in motion so it cannot be stopped.  Your focus should be less on "what-if" and more on future potential damage control.  No need to talk to any lawyers and start racking up costs until you have notifications from NC. 

Worrying about what "might be" is really much ado about nothing, and an honest act of futility.  Until something happens, go about your normal life and quit worrying about things you no longer have control over. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Rupert

Agreed. One time, I got pulled over for speeds and acts on a country road that I was pretty sure was going to land me at least without a license, and all I got was a stern warning. Don't jump to chickens before they're concluded.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman