Bought a car

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, November 20, 2005, 03:52:17 PM

MX793

Larger turbo = greater rotational inertia = longer spool time.  That is, in fact, why the twin turbo Supra came with sequential twin turbos instead of one larger one from the factory.  Of course, from a tuning point of view it gets costly to upgrade two turbos, thus most guys ditch the sequential twins for a single large turbo.  You can also get rid of some plumbing that way, at least with sequential turbos.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Run Away

The fact that it's a ball-bearing turbo cuts down on spool time. With modern technology, a well-chosen single turbo will make full boost just as fast as a pair of twins.
In his case, most people keep the twin turbos.

Pick up Sport Compact Car's Engine and Driveline Handbook, it explains everything quite well. I'll go copy a few paragraphs.

MX793

And a pair of smaller ball bearing turbos will spool faster than a single large ball bearing turbo.  Also, in the case of a V engine, you can run a true dual exhaust if you keep twin turbos.  If you go to a single, you need to combine the exhaust from both banks to route it through the single turbine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Run Away

"Most people think that turbo lag is solely due to the inertia of a turbo's ratating parts, but lag is caused by a combination of insufficient gas flow at low rpm, inertia, and and mechanical losses. Insufficient gas flow however, is the biggest contributor to lag."

"With modern turbos, huge advances in compressor and turbine aerodynamics have resulted in greatly improved efficiency. New, computerized design techniques have benn used to optimize wheel mass and reduce lag-producing inertia. These design improvementshave largely overcome the lag problems in the last few years. Other recent innovations such as ball bearing center sections, lightweight compressors and turbine wheels have been used to reduce lag."

Run Away

QuoteAnd a pair of smaller ball bearing turbos will spool faster than a single large ball bearing turbo.  Also, in the case of a V engine, you can run a true dual exhaust if you keep twin turbos.  If you go to a single, you need to combine the exhaust from both banks to route it through the single turbine.
The factory turbos I'm almost positive arn't the ball-bearing type.

Yes two small ball-bearing turbos will spool faster than a big single ball bearing turbo, assuming both are the proper size.
However Seans said "I'm sure it will be really laggy  :rolleyes: " and I'm telling him, no it shouldn't be.
So his decision to go with a modern single turbo will probably result in lag very close to stock levels, while making much more power and costing less than two new modern turbos.

A mock up of his turbo on his car. Setup basically the same as what the peoplel with single turbo muscle cars do.

El Barto

2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

280Z Turbo

Where the hell do you pick this stuff up anyway? Do you constantly do research on forums? I know more about cars than 99% of my peers, and I know you're smarter than me, which BTW, pisses me off in case you can't tell. :angry: ;) :D

Anyway, it's kinda like swapping a SR20DET into an S30 Z. Yes, it makes more power, but it's just not the same.

The Z32 is supposed to be a TT!

To each his own, I suppose.

SJ_GTI

Wow congrats, that will be a fun car!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Speed_Racer

FBC...you are way too lucky. That's a beautiful car...especially with the twin turbos. I'd never be able to afford one, but it sure would be nice.

Have fun with that!

thewizard16

Congratulations. That style of Z is the best looking, in my opinion, and one of the best looking sports cars period. Beautiful.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Champ

Grats man, if I'm ever up near Forest Lake I'll let ya know :D

FlatBlackCaddy

Thanks all, i look forward to a long happy ownership with my Z.

The seller is taking alittle longer than expected to get his lien released.

It looks like i'll be getting it monday or tuesday.

I can berely contain myself.

FlatBlackCaddy

Hey champ, want to race for pinks.. :D

I've always wanted a Saab. B)  

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Champ

QuoteHey champ, want to race for pinks.. :D

haha, maybe after the warranty and I start upping that HP!   :lol:  

SJ_GTI

I notice you don't challenge me. You don't want any of this german engineered racing technology.

I got 5 valves per cylinder and a turbo, biotch.  :lol:  

Champ

I notice you don't challenge me. You don't want any of this german engineered racing technology.

ya but mine is 2.3L 4cyl. turbo

and let's not forget he lives 30 minutes away from me  :D  

SJ_GTI

I prefer to believe he is simply afraid to race against me German-bred racing machine.

FlatBlackCaddy

I didn't offer to race you because it would be a lose/lose situation for me.

Either i would lose my car, or i would end up with some POS VW.  

footoflead

HAHA :D  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Champ

lol  :D  

MX793

ZING!
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

He's just jealous because my car has more valves per cylinder.  :praise:

:lol:  

FlatBlackCaddy

Here's a few pics of the car, its all i have right now(my dad snapped them when we went to pick it up).

I'll have some more later when i use the better digi, and get it cleaned up some more.

I will be pulling the "bra" off before i drive it anymore(which will have to be next year, the weather is getting bad tonight).

Raza

I was just about to suggest you pull that daft bra off.  But nice car, man.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Thanks, after picking it up (the day turned out to be nice) i was going to take the rest of the day off and drive it. But that didn't fly to well.

The hard part now is putting it in storage and waiting 4 months to drive it.

Raza

QuoteThanks, after picking it up (the day turned out to be nice) i was going to take the rest of the day off and drive it. But that didn't fly to well.

The hard part now is putting it in storage and waiting 4 months to drive it.
Where do you live now that you can't drive it during the winter months?  Do you have another car, or do you live in a tightly spaced city?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

I live in Minnesota, in a small town up north(about 30 miles from the metro). I can't drive it through the winter because we do get a good amount of snow and salt on the roads.

I have plenty of cars, this was meant to be my summer car.  

Raza

QuoteI live in Minnesota, in a small town up north(about 30 miles from the metro). I can't drive it through the winter because we do get a good amount of snow and salt on the roads.

Ahh, that makes sense.  Sort of.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteI live in Minnesota, in a small town up north(about 30 miles from the metro). I can't drive it through the winter because we do get a good amount of snow and salt on the roads.

Ahh, that makes sense.  Sort of.
I found one now(was tired of waiting, i've wanted one for years) and decided to buy it even though it was winter. They are slim pickings in the summer but in late august about 5 popped up in my area, and only one with the year/mileage/color combo i wanted, so i jumped on it.

I have room for it so storing it is no problem for me.