My New Audi A6

Started by dazzleman, December 28, 2013, 01:32:12 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: saxonyron on January 02, 2014, 09:15:28 PM
In a rare event, some dude in an XC90 did the red light challenge yesterday.  From what I knew of the car, I didn't take him seriously at all, but couldn't help notice the "look" and surge.  So, being a mature person, I started off normally at the green, then realized he had the audacity to floor it.  I could almost hear him cackling victoriously as he edged me out at about 20 mph.  So I applied sufficient throttle to pass him around 45, then leveled off. His must have been the V8 since he was surprisingly quick and I had to really push to beat him. Anyway, I felt incredibly immature, but proud that my baby beat that Swedish interloper.  Looking forward to your next opportunity to be an immature boob like me, Dave.  It's exhilarating!
:ohyeah:
Reminds me of the good old days.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

On New Year's Eve (I was stone-cold sober), I had one of those rare opportunities when the freeway on-ramp was clear and the freeway itself was clear. So I floored the G37 from a slow rolling start. It got to about 4,000 RPM, climbed up on the cams and started pulling even harder. It was like the car said, "Yes, finally!" Gears shifts snapped through much better than when it's hunting ratios on part throttle in light traffic.

(99% of the time I get stuck behind on-ramp dawdlers whose goal is to maximize danger by joining 70mph traffic at 45mph)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 03, 2014, 07:11:05 AM
On New Year's Eve (I was stone-cold sober), I had one of those rare opportunities when the freeway on-ramp was clear and the freeway itself was clear. So I floored the G37 from a slow rolling start. It got to about 4,000 RPM, climbed up on the cams and started pulling even harder. It was like the car said, "Yes, finally!" Gears shifts snapped through much better than when it's hunting ratios on part throttle in light traffic.

(99% of the time I get stuck behind on-ramp dawdlers whose goal is to maximize danger by joining 70mph traffic at 45mph)

How fast were you able to go?  Glad to see you're getting back into the speeding game.  You were unnecessarily deterred by the pinprick of enforcement.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 03, 2014, 07:11:05 AM

Some cars just drive more smoothly when they're driven hard than when they're driven gently. There are a number of recent manual-transmission Mazdas like this, too.

dazzleman

I took her out in the snow today and she acquitted herself very well.  :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SJ_GTI

Quote from: dazzleman on January 03, 2014, 01:03:13 PM
I took her out in the snow today and she acquitted herself very well.  :ohyeah:

My Audi's have always been great in the snow. One of the few "nice" memories from my winters in Montreal was driving my A4 home in 12+ inches of snow. Other cars were literally stuck in the middle of the highway, but my A4 would push right through. When I got home the open spaces in the wheels were completely packed with snow.

I drove my S4 in to work this morning and it was great. The RWD bias (believe it is 40/60 F/R) shows itself a bit when accelerating around turns as the tail likes to swing just a bit. Only other cars in the parking lot were pickups and my financial analyst's Subaru Impreza.

Rupert

Quote from: ifcar on January 03, 2014, 08:32:36 AM
Some cars just drive more smoothly when they're driven hard than when they're driven gently. There are a number of recent manual-transmission Mazdas like this, too.

944 is like that, largely because the throttle responds much better at higher RPMs.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AltinD

My 4Motion is great in the snow too

.... ok, hypothetically, I live in Dubai :lol:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AltinD on January 04, 2014, 07:58:17 AM

You have that indoor ski resort, don't you?

I'm sure they wouldn't get the least bit upset.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AltinD

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 04, 2014, 02:30:42 PM
You have that indoor ski resort, don't you?

I'm sure they wouldn't get the least bit upset.

Only if I'd be driving a Sierra  :(

The Reveal of the All-new Sierra - filmed at Ski Dubai

:lol:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Soup DeVille

That's surreal.

I mean, I once filled my basement with six inches of sand, rented a half dozen miniature palm trees and had a beach party in the middle of a blizzard, but that's completely normal.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 04, 2014, 02:50:08 PM
That's surreal.

I mean, I once filled my basement with six inches of sand, rented a half dozen miniature palm trees and had a beach party in the middle of a blizzard, but that's completely normal.

I once filled a 6' x 12' x 1' pool in an apartment for a beach part in the middle of December.  Everyone wore swim suits, there were palm trees and beach chairs.  Best idea ever.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on January 04, 2014, 03:32:56 PM
I once filled a 6' x 12' x 1' pool in an apartment for a beach part in the middle of December.  Everyone wore swim suits, there were palm trees and beach chairs.  Best idea ever.

Except for all that exposed ghostly white skin...

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 04, 2014, 03:52:54 PM
Except for all that exposed ghostly white skin...

Nah, that just helps make the lighting in the room seem brighter.  More like being outdoors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Morris Minor

Quote from: dazzleman on January 03, 2014, 07:26:07 AM
How fast were you able to go?  Glad to see you're getting back into the speeding game.  You were unnecessarily deterred by the pinprick of enforcement.

Not more than about 90 - caught up with traffic very quickly, and had my wife white-knuckling next to me.

Later on in the journey, at speed on an unlit rural road - I came across a white plastic grocery back in my path - handle loops waving in in the wind. Car in front just bypassed it, I could not avoid it. Just as I ran over it with my left wheels, the bag morphed in the headlights into a white cat that was stranded on its back. Someone else had injured it. I finished it off.

No damage, but the scent of squished feline delighted the dog when we got home; she gave it a thorough inspection. 
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

veeman

Quote from: AltinD on January 04, 2014, 07:58:17 AM

I've seen people, a few miles from Dubai, just get off the highway and have fun in the sand.  Usually in land rovers and land cruisers.  Can your car do that?  I doubt it, but just wondering.

Char

Congrats man - it's not my cup of tea, but I can tell your happy. Enjoy.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

68_427

You bought the wrong car

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: Char on January 05, 2014, 03:41:38 PM
Congrats man - it's not my cup of tea, but I can tell your happy. Enjoy.

Thanks man.  What would you have recommended?

SVT666

Maserati Quattroporte would have been my pick.  Especially since the A6 is so close in price......

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 08, 2014, 06:44:16 PM
Thanks man.  What would you have recommended?

Since the new 5 is a snoozefest (except for the awesome N55), the only other car I would consider aside from yours is the GS350. Why didn't you try one out?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on January 09, 2014, 12:06:24 PM
Maserati Quattroporte would have been my pick.  Especially since the A6 is so close in price......

You mean Ghibli?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Atomic

Congrats, Dave! Damn. Love the color combination. My all time favorite interior color for certain. I recommended this color when a friend was shopping and he choose it for his Oolong Black A7.

I am making up for lost time and cannot believe I just discovered your thread. We love new car purchase/lease posts -- especially when somebody else has to make the payments  :lol:

Many happy miles and what a stellar decision!!