Chevy dealership shitstorm

Started by Payman, January 11, 2014, 08:34:31 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on January 15, 2014, 02:21:22 PM
Look up the M5 crash by dealer.. that one took 16 months to resolve...

Unlike this ZL1 case the M5 case a pretty open-n-shut case given that the tech was operating within the scope of this job. However, fat good that does given it took the M5 owner 16 months and $100k+ in legal fees to "win." M5 owner probably didn't have collision insurance (yet another good lesson about having good insurance for protecting oneself, even in light of the fact someone else was liable).

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on January 15, 2014, 03:14:50 PM
Unlike this ZL1 case the M5 case a pretty open-n-shut case given that the tech was operating within the scope of this job. However, fat good that does given it took the M5 owner 16 months and $100k+ in legal fees to "win." M5 owner probably didn't have collision insurance (yet another good lesson about having good insurance for protecting oneself, even in light of the fact someone else was liable).

Yeah, this sorta defeats the whole purpose of going to a dealer believing that you're in good hands.. that's why I rarely take my car to get reamed by a dealer unless it's warranty work, absolutely not worth it at all. 

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on January 15, 2014, 03:27:04 PM
Yeah, this sorta defeats the whole purpose of going to a dealer believing that you're in good hands.. that's why I rarely take my car to get reamed by a dealer unless it's warranty work, absolutely not worth it at all. 

Well, I'm pretty sure 100% of dealers the country over would also not choose to give owner a replacement ZL1 in this situation.

GoCougs

Another good lesson: How A Tuner Totaled A $200,000 Ford GT. Tuner admits to crashing the car on a test drive but doesn't have insurance nor the money to foot the bill. The GT's owner insurance eventually covered the loss. Even in a cut-n-dry situation doesn't mean the right thing will be done. Good insurance is the glue that makes things better/whole.

I also have a hunch it has to do with insurance law, which is highly regulated, and very goofy when it comes to cars. For example, if I borrow a friend's car and plow into a school bus, state law says his insurance covers the damages. If I plow into a deer, but don't have collision insurance, state law says comprehensive coverage covers damage. If I plow into a tree, but don't have collision insurance, state law says I'm SOL.

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on January 15, 2014, 03:49:24 PM
Another good lesson: How A Tuner Totaled A $200,000 Ford GT. Tuner admits to crashing the car on a test drive but doesn't have insurance nor the money to foot the bill. The GT's owner insurance eventually covered the loss. Even in a cut-n-dry situation doesn't mean the right thing will be done. Good insurance is the glue that makes things better/whole.

I also have a hunch it has to do with insurance law, which is highly regulated, and very goofy when it comes to cars. For example, if I borrow a friend's car and plow into a school bus, state law says his insurance covers the damages. If I plow into a deer, but don't have collision insurance, state law says comprehensive coverage covers damage. If I plow into a tree, but don't have collision insurance, state law says I'm SOL.

So.. government's fault?

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: NomisR on January 15, 2014, 04:43:34 PM
So.. government's fault?

It's cougs. We would all be better off living in a society of anarchy. 

JWC

When I worked at a Honda dealer we had a salesman crash a new Acura Legend--rolling it over a few times.  Unfortunately, the customers were in the car, husband and wife. They got hospital paid for and two new Legends. It was classic too, because they had already decided on the car and while waiting for F&I to finish with someone else, their salesman offered to "show them what it would do".

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: JWC on January 15, 2014, 08:47:02 PM
When I worked at a Honda dealer we had a salesman crash a new Acura Legend--rolling it over a few times.  Unfortunately, the customers were in the car, husband and wife. They got hospital paid for and two new Legends. It was classic too, because they had already decided on the car and while waiting for F&I to finish with someone else, their salesman offered to "show them what it would do".

Well, they got to see how safe it was  :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 15, 2014, 09:28:57 PM
Well, they got to see how safe it was  :lol:

Pfft, honda fanbois(the salesman).

Want me to show you what this baby can do???

It's a mediocure mainstream family sedan, it can't do much of anything.

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on January 15, 2014, 04:43:34 PM
So.. government's fault?

No, it's the thief's fault. That complicated insurance law exists didn't compel him to steal and wreck the car.

NomisR

Well, I guess the entire episode is over, and again, it seems like the victims are wrongly characterized in this issue.

http://jalopnik.com/owner-of-camaro-zl1-crashed-by-dealership-is-getting-a-1501366861

In the end, it's really about poor handling of the situation by the dealership rather than the owners demanding too much.  Dealers pretty much found an used replacement that the owners did not want and took a take it or leave it stance, whereas, what the owners would've simply preferred was the dealer taking more effort to actually get a car that they wanted, which I don't see anything wrong with that..

At least GM and another dealer helped and righted the wrong.

FlatBlackCaddy

Would have been a good chance to move on, since he just got a insurance check.

Kinda surprised some smooth talking ford dealership owner didn't slip into this and have a shiny new and well discounted ford waiting for this gentleman. Topped off with a personal handshake and a smile from the dealership principal and a credit for some gen-u-ine ford racing accessories.

"We at ford would like to take the opportunity to educate the GM dealer network on how to handle and take car of customers"

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 17, 2014, 12:33:24 PM

Kinda surprised some smooth talking ford dealership owner didn't slip into this and have a shiny new and well discounted ford waiting for this gentleman. Topped off with a personal handshake and a smile from the dealership principal and a credit for some gen-u-ine ford racing accessories.

"We at ford would like to take the opportunity to educate the GM dealer network on how to handle and take car of customers"
That would have been a brilliant move, but very expensive.

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on January 17, 2014, 12:51:50 PM

At least at my old dealer, (we had two Hyundai Locations, Nissan, Chevy, GMC, Buick and a big ass used car lot) it would have been pocket change compared to the publicity they would have generated.

NomisR

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 17, 2014, 12:33:24 PM

Well, the problem with the last statement is that the same Ford dealer would likely to have also owned a GM dealer nearby as well. 

But I think the guy just wanted another Camaro ZL1 and that dealer probably doesn't have the allocation and won't try to get one.  For the price though, couldn't he have gotten a Corvette Stingray instead? 

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on January 17, 2014, 12:51:50 PM

How would it be expensive, I didn't say give it to him for free.

Taking a 60(ish)K car, slapping 15 off of it and absorbing the loss through an advertising budget would have been completely fine.

2o6

I am fully confident that a dealership would have been able to eat the 60K with minimal effects (initially).

Just from seeing how much shit we had to take from when I worked at the Chevy dealer.....I am surprised the owner didn't just eat it and give them a new ZL1.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 17, 2014, 01:01:27 PM

At least at my old dealer, (we had two Hyundai Locations, Nissan, Chevy, GMC, Buick and a big ass used car lot) it would have been pocket change compared to the publicity they would have generated.

The publicity would be a couple hundred jalopnik nerds reading about it :lol:  Not worth it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 17, 2014, 01:27:07 PM
I am fully confident that a dealership would have been able to eat the 60K with minimal effects (initially).

Just from seeing how much shit we had to take from when I worked at the Chevy dealer.....I am surprised the owner didn't just eat it and give them a new ZL1.

:huh:  Margins at dealerships are paper thin.  $60k is a lot to a car dealership.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on January 17, 2014, 03:07:49 PM
The publicity would be a couple hundred jalopnik nerds reading about it :lol:  Not worth it.

Not if they publicized it right.

Not saying they should have done that, but dealerships do give cars away from time to time, specifically for publicity.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2014, 03:28:17 PM

Not saying they should have done that, but dealerships do give cars away from time to time, specifically for publicity.

You'll find others are paying for that car; usually sponsors that are advertised along with whatever event.

No dealer is going to give away a car out of pocket, esp. to "win" business. It's a crazy assertion.

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 04:08:42 PM
You'll find others are paying for that car; usually sponsors that are advertised along with whatever event.

No dealer is going to give away a car out of pocket, esp. to "win" business. It's a crazy assertion.

I think just doing more than what the original dealer did would've worked.. like helping the guy at least find a suitable replacement he could buy rather than a beat up one that he didn't even want and say take it or leave it.

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 17, 2014, 03:08:40 PM
:huh:  Margins at dealerships are paper thin.  $60k is a lot to a car dealership.

It depends on what kind of volume they're moving - at my old dealer, our profit margin was thinner than others, but we made it up with volume.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2014, 03:28:17 PM

Tax write off

Quote from: MrH on January 17, 2014, 03:07:49 PM

Plus their entire clientele....anyone who hears of this story would be turned off... It affects the view of the dealership as a whole.

When I worked at the old Chevy dealer, that said if we came across a disgruntled customer in public, say at a grocery store, any sort of monitory compensation (like buying someone groceries) to get them back in the dealer, the franchise owner would foot the bill.

GoCougs

2o6

So not eating 60K car is not a good idea versus having a tarnished reputation?