Next Honda Ridgeline & Fit Based Urban SUV Crossover Destined for North America

Started by Atomic, January 16, 2014, 04:11:15 PM

ifcar

I've just been checking the price numbers, and the base Ridgeline (AWD crew cab) is $29,575. The cheapest 4WD crew cab F-150 is $36,435; the cheapest 4WD crew cab Silverado is $37,945. The full-size pickups have a wider set of variants, to be sure, but if that *is* what you want then the Ridgeline does offer substantial savings.

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on January 18, 2014, 03:11:52 PM
No one is saying that though.  Cougs just said that they built the Ridgeline for what people actually need, not what they want, which I think is pretty true.  But since Cougs said it, this forum had a hissy fit :lol:

What individual A thinks individual B needs doesn't really matter to anyone other than Individual A.  People buy crap others think they don't need all the time (look at the watch and shoe threads).  Auguing what someone needs doesn't mean much and in this case it doesn't do much to explain why the ridgeline doesn't sell in the numbers Honda originally projected..

3.0L V6

Quote from: ifcar on January 19, 2014, 08:52:31 AM
I've just been checking the price numbers, and the base Ridgeline (AWD crew cab) is $29,575. The cheapest 4WD crew cab F-150 is $36,435; the cheapest 4WD crew cab Silverado is $37,945. The full-size pickups have a wider set of variants, to be sure, but if that *is* what you want then the Ridgeline does offer substantial savings.

I used CDN$ - the Ridgeline starts at $34,990 up here. Maybe I should have used the US site. Oops. That's what I get for typing in Honda into Google and clinking on the first link. At $30k, it's a better deal.

Hmmm....doing the build and price thing on the Ford.ca website, I get a MSRP of $34,999 for a F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4.

So, I guess that invalidates my argument.

Byteme

I'm comparing a RT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A) Ridgeline and a XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A) F150

The F150 is $9,500 more but has V8 insterad of a V6, 110 more HP, 140 more lbtft of torque, gets 1 or 2 miles less per gallon and has a 6 speed automatic compared to the Ridgeline's 5 speed auotomatic.  The F150 has a much larger fuel tank.

The F150 has standard nav, sync, bluetooth and ipod connection and seats 6.  The ridgeline has none of that and seats 5.  The F150 has alloy wheels the Ridgeline, steel.  The F150 has a standard antitheft system the Ridgeline doesn't unless you buy a more expensive model.

The F15 is larger in every interior space category with about 7 inches more rear leg room and larger in every exterior dimension and tows twice as much and has a greater payload capacity.

To get equal standard features you have to either buy options or move up to a higher trim level on the Ridgeline and even then the Ridgeline will be cheaper.  But isn't this an apples-oranges copm,parison?  Is it even fair to compare a full size pickup to a midsize pickup built for a different customer?

See:  http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200440545|crew-cab&veh2=200433110|supercrew&show=0|1&comparatorId=2119533  For comparison

ifcar

The point of the comparison is that people sometimes say that there's no reason to buy a Ridgeline -- price is a pretty obvious reason. No one is saying there isn't a reason to buy the F-150 over the Ridgeline; that's a straw-man argument.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on January 19, 2014, 08:52:31 AM

I think real world pricing differs. I've never seen Hondas discounted as deeply as Fords and Chevies nearly always are.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on January 19, 2014, 10:46:49 AM
The point of the comparison is that people sometimes say that there's no reason to buy a Ridgeline -- price is a pretty obvious reason. No one is saying there isn't a reason to buy the F-150 over the Ridgeline; that's a straw-man argument.

I was just attempting point out some differences between the two vehicles and what you get or don't get on the F150 for the extra money.

Personally I wouldn't buy a new Ridgeline or F150.  My truck requirements are nicely filled by my $2700 1997 F150 XL with a conventional cab and long bed.   

Mustangfan2003

If I want a new pickup I think I would wait till the end of the model year.  A local Ford dealer ran an ad for the 2013 modes left and you can get one for $11k off so you can get a truck that is normally in the mid 30s for a mid 20s price.  The local Ford and GM dealers here order so many trucks in bulk that you usually get atleast $5k off sticker. 

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 19, 2014, 10:22:47 AM
I'm comparing a RT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A) Ridgeline and a XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A) F150

The F150 is $9,500 more but has V8 insterad of a V6, 110 more HP, 140 more lbtft of torque, gets 1 or 2 miles less per gallon and has a 6 speed automatic compared to the Ridgeline's 5 speed auotomatic.  The F150 has a much larger fuel tank.

The F150 has standard nav, sync, bluetooth and ipod connection and seats 6.  The ridgeline has none of that and seats 5.  The F150 has alloy wheels the Ridgeline, steel.  The F150 has a standard antitheft system the Ridgeline doesn't unless you buy a more expensive model.

The F15 is larger in every interior space category with about 7 inches more rear leg room and larger in every exterior dimension and tows twice as much and has a greater payload capacity.

To get equal standard features you have to either buy options or move up to a higher trim level on the Ridgeline and even then the Ridgeline will be cheaper.  But isn't this an apples-oranges copm,parison?  Is it even fair to compare a full size pickup to a midsize pickup built for a different customer?

See:  http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200440545|crew-cab&veh2=200433110|supercrew&show=0|1&comparatorId=2119533  For comparison

The ~$37k price ifcar mentions is for the F150 XL Crew Cab (no nav, alloy wheels, sync, etc.), which is the cheapest F150 competitor to the base ~$29k Ridgeline.

The F150 XL Crew Cab has a V8 but weighs ~1,200 pounds more (5,716 lbs vs. 4,513 lbs) and apropos to my original point, pretty much no one tows 10,000 lbs with a half-ton (or uses low range 4WD, etc.). The F150 has more interior space but the Ridgeline is no slouch with Camcord interior dimensions, including rear legroom (meaning, if that's not big enough for a particular passenger it's not the Ridgeline's fault).

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 19, 2014, 11:12:28 AM
I think real world pricing differs. I've never seen Hondas discounted as deeply as Fords and Chevies nearly always are.

It probably does decrease the margin, sure, but if any Honda is going to sell at a discount it's going to be a 2006-era vehicle that doesn't sell well.

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 19, 2014, 01:15:38 PM

The F150 XL Crew Cab has a V8 but weighs ~1,200 pounds more (5,716 lbs vs. 4,513 lbs) and apropos to my original point, pretty much no one tows 10,000 lbs with a half-ton (or uses low range 4WD, etc.).
True and I've always laughed at huge towing capability as something very few will use, but I'd rather tow 5,000 lbs with something rated for 10,000 than something rated for 5,000.

Quote from: GoCougs on January 19, 2014, 01:15:38 PM

The F150 has more interior space but the Ridgeline is no slouch with Camcord interior dimensions, including rear legroom (meaning, if that's not big enough for a particular passenger it's not the Ridgeline's fault).

Whose fault is it?  Genetics?

Atomic

More Research, More Information, More Pictures & Renderings
Giving Greater Promise of Higher-end & Truer to Concept in Design and Higher Technology
For North America Marketplace
Multiple Sources Provides Increases Hope

Another Look at Honda Urban SUV Concept, Above; A Seemly Altered Concept, Below (Photoshopped?)

Production Versions Outside of North America (Note: Upscale Wheels vs. Lower-end Deluxe Wheels, Below)

Atomic

An Acura Version* of the Honda Urban SUV and/or The North American or United States Exclusive
2015-MY Honda Badged Urban Sport Utility Vehicle

My take is that the elegant roof treatment will NOT make it to production. It does NOT fit Honda's image or that of even Honda's upscale luxury-sports Acura division, IMO. I am not certain where the rendering originated* but do like the tail lights and appreciate many style cues show, above. ~ Atomic

*Update: The Answer, Next Box...

Atomic

Acura's Encore? Concept SUV-X Small Crossover Debuts for China [2013 Shanghai Auto Show]

April 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm by Alexander Stoklosa for Car&Driver Magazine

Unlike its parent company Honda's oddball Shanghai reveals, Acura's lone debut was neither strange nor particularly bad-looking. (Honda's trio of vehicles unveiled in China—one concept and two production cars—were pretty hit or miss, to say the least.) Instead, Acura's Concept SUV-X is a rather sharp little SUV that the brand intends to build and sell in China within three years. Although the SUV-X previews a production model designed with China in mind, Acura says the tall wagon will be a global small SUV, meaning it could ultimately show up here.

Unfortunately, Acura did not reveal what powers the SUV-X or even exactly how big it is. Luckily, a few photos from the crossover's Shanghai debut show it with people standing nearby, lending at least a modicum of scale. Given that most of the people in the photos are taller than the SUV-X, we're guessing that it's pretty small. In fact, proportionally, we think it has a lot in common with the Honda Urban SUV concept from this year's Detroit auto show. The Honda Urban SUV is Fit-based, and thus smaller than the CR-V, as well as Acura's architecturally similar RDX.

Also like the Urban SUV concept, the Acura SUV-X is attractive, with a pleasant mixture of curves and sharp edges. We especially like the rear-end treatment, which is aggressive and unique, even if there are a few more creases than are necessary. The squared-off roofline seemingly is pulled right off of the 2014 MDX, and lends the small rig a formal and luxurious appearance. Finally, and most important, the SUV-X's decorative grille slat is an incredible step forward—stylistically, that is—for Acura, whose corporate mug of late is too beaky and shield-like for our taste.

Atomic

^ I knew I have seen that Acura SUV/Crossover concept before but only from seeing the side profile of the stunning vehicle that I recognized it as being "official" Honda-Acura and the show where it debuted.

Atomic

UPDATED PICS
February 18, 2014

Still Nothing Official from North America...
But Like These Photos a Local Honda Dealer Shared with me

Atomic

^Whether 100% off the assembly line, equipped with genuine Honda accessories or fitted with a few aftermarket affects, the vehicles shown illustrate the potential upmarket look and feel of what is expected from Honda in the United States and Canada for MY15. I was thoroughly impressed with our regional Honda dealer for bringing up the new 2015 (due out shortly) and the upcoming "larger than the Fit, smaller than the CR-V" Urban SUV with us when trying to decide between a brand new '14 Honda Civic EX-L NAVI Coupe, 2014 CR-Z EX NAVI and MY14 Civic EX-L NAVI.

In typical Honda-Acura fashion, little is know about the North American version Urban SUV, including its official name, date of introduction, etc., but at least we know that it is scheduled to arrive in 2014 as a 2015 model. Personally, I doubt it will be called "Honda Urban SUV" or "Honda Element" (a name many out of Honda's camp are surmising it to be)... But I have a hunch it may be revealed at the 2014 NAIAS in New York... The name and even the vehicle. That would be cool  :mrcool:

Needless to say, the family will wait for this mini SUV/Crossover before deciding what to purchase as a second car. The MY10 Honda Civic EX will be passed onto a younger family member...

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on February 18, 2014, 07:15:45 PM
Not bad

I really like it, too, Greg, especially considering that it will cost somewhere between that of a Honda Fit and the Honda CR-V while being very roomy and loaded with a lot of higher tech features, i.e., the latest in space efficiency, safety, noise isolation, fuel saving measures. I heard that there will be a hybrid version of this vehicle but I doubt I would opt for that with MPG expected to be outstanding on standard models at what I am assuming to be a decent price.

Both the new MY15 will and this "SUV" will offer a sun/moonroof option without sacrificing headroom. This option will be a first for the Fit. Since a convertible makes little sense in the Northeast, a sunroof (and/or moonroof -- seemingly mere terms now used interchangeably) is the nest best thing. Even better in many ways...

Atomic

HONDA NAMES ITS NEW FIT-BASED URBAN SUV
ACCORDING TO NON HONDA RELATED PRESS REPORTS

Thankfully, and unlike far costlier luxury makes such as Cadillac and Lincoln, the supposed moniker Honda has chosen for its highly anticipated mini 'ute makes perfect sense, especially within Honda of America's value brand lineup.

With the 2015 Honda Fit now in production, the all-new version of that hatchback will be the first in a series of subcompacts launched by Honda over the next few years. Rumor has it that a Hybrid version of the five-door hatchback will be added before long with a more traditional sedan soon to follow. An affordable sports coupe (possibly a CR-Z type vehicle) and convertible are in the works, per Honda insiders.

Another is the small crossover utility vehicle first unveiled outside of the American marketplace at last fall's Tokyo Motor Show and dubbed the Vezel. As discussed throughout the tread, the North American version is being significantly tweaked with a far more upscale look and feel. The NA variant debuted as the Urban SUV concept before making its auto show rounds one year ago -- given its own unique name for the United States and Canada from the very start.

One can expect a full array of upscale creature comforts and a significantly more refined ride and sophisticated handling when the recently named production model goes on sale here the fall.

In keeping inline with Honda of America's schematics, the name under which the model will be sold in North America:

HR-V for Honda Recreational Vehicle --

Fitting (no pun intended) nicely below its larger showroom mate:

CR-V for Civic Recreational Vehicle.

The upcoming Honda Accord-based Crosstour replacement will either be more Subaru Outback "wagon-like" or more HR-V/CR-V Sport Utility/Crossover-like. Will it be called AR-V? Hmm... No word on that...

;) Atomic

Sources: AutoGuide, Green Fleet News, Car & Driver, Automobile, Automotive News