beast mower

Started by Eye of the Tiger, January 24, 2014, 01:15:40 PM

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 30, 2014, 05:17:59 PM
:lol:

Anyway, a small fire would just help clear some of this damn brush.

Believe it or not, I would like to quiet this sucker down. I'm talking about running dual inline mufflers.

Maybe a muffler off of a small riding mower.  Can you weld?

Eye of the Tiger

Of course I can weld. My flux core welder kind of sucks (and I suck at it), but it works.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 30, 2014, 05:44:12 PM

Yeah, I've seen the pictures.  I'd bet that even in the backwoods of North Carolina you'd be prosecuted if a modified device like that started a wildfire.  Legality issues aside, there is a potential to start fires. I'd not want to see anybody here set fire to their own property.

I will stop drop and roll.

Lol. That reminds me that I set fire to my jeans while welding yesterday. No big deal.

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 30, 2014, 05:54:54 PM
I will stop drop and roll.

Lol. That reminds me that I set fire to my jeans while welding yesterday. No big deal.

Isn't it odd that spatter seeks and finds every bit of exposed skin when you are welding. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 30, 2014, 07:54:42 PM

Isn't it odd that spatter seeks and finds every bit of exposed skin when you are welding.

I had one hole in the thumb of my glove, and of course that is where a stray piece of fire decided to go. Then another one found some loose threads on my pant leg.

MX793

Needs a motorcycle-style twist throttle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 31, 2014, 06:10:22 AM
Needs a motorcycle-style twist throttle.

Yes. I was thinking an ATV-style thumb lever.
However, the carb's throttle has no provisions for an idle stop. Close it fully, and the motor shuts off. Could I drill a hole in the throttle plate to tune-in an idle? Maybe.

MX793

Or just adjust the throttle cable so that the throttle plate is never fully closed...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Beast mower was awesome today

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

It eats tall grass like nothing and cuts through saplings <1" thick without much drama. The only problem I kept having was debris hitting the throttle linkage on the front of the motor, and either killing the motor, or revving it sky high. Lol.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Well, this project is pretty much over.
Next, I need to buy a tractor.

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 02, 2014, 08:15:19 PM
Well, this project is pretty much over.
Next, I need to buy a tractor.

Buy an old ATV and attach beast mower to it with duct tape, safety wire, a zip ties.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on February 02, 2014, 08:18:54 PM
Buy an old ATV and attach beast mower to it with duct tape, safety wire, a zip ties.

I am still waiting for my free ObamATV. In the mean time, I am thinking old tractor with a front end loader.

Eye of the Tiger

Ok, time for beast mower #3. It will be less beastly and more mowery. I have a small yard in the city, so I need a small, light, cheap, and quiet push mower. So many choices...

MTD 11A-02BT706
Deck: 20"
Engine: 125cc OHV Briggs & Stratton
Weight: 50#
Price: $149.99

Bolens 11A-020W765
Engine: 125cc OHV Briggs & Stratton
Weight: N/A
Price: $149.00

Yard Machines 11A-02SB700
Engine: 140cc OHV Powermore
Weight: 47#
Price: $149.99

Murray 961140030
Engine: 125c OHV Briggs & Stratton
Weight: 50#
Price: $144.00

giant_mtb

The first three look identical besides motor and color (first two are exactly the same besides color?). I'd go with whatever one is most Murrica, so one of the B&S-motored ones.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm thinking the Yard Machines because it is only 47#. Racing weight. Also the largest displacement (but Chinese?) engine.

giant_mtb

Does the Chinese-motored one have the most power, though?  Do they give these things HP ratings anymore?  Are they even all that accurate for comparison? lol

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 25, 2015, 09:21:22 PM
Does the Chinese-motored one have the most power, though?  Do they give these things HP ratings anymore?  Are they even all that accurate for comparison? lol

Everything is rated in torque now.
Both the Powermore 140cc and Briggs 125cc are rated at 4.5 lb-ft.

giant_mtb

Yard Machine it is.  I suppose there's nothing really wrong with Chinese engines.  My 'ped is still alive.  It's Chinese as hell.  Only "major" thing that's been replaced is the CDI box.

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 25, 2015, 06:57:12 PM
Ok, time for beast mower #3. It will be less beastly and more mowery. I have a small yard in the city, so I need a small, light, cheap, and quiet push mower. So many choices...

How big is the yard?  What kind of grass?  Any slopes?

Those three questions, along with your willingness to push a mower as opposed to guiding a self propelled model need to be considered. 

Small, level city lot with bermuda grass, get a cheap push mower.   Larger lot with some slope  and maybe St. Augustine grass,  get a self propelled. 

also do yourself a favor and get something that mulches.  You'll get tired of bagging grass.  If you do bag grass, get a rear discharge mower. Side baggers suck, IMO. 

Eye of the Tiger

I have no idea what kind of grass, but the yard is about 1/3 acre, and has a few good slopes. I would rather push a lightweight mower than have to steer a heavy ass self propelled one. Also, I'm fine with good old side discharge.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 25, 2015, 09:52:08 PM
Yard Machine it is.  I suppose there's nothing really wrong with Chinese engines.  My 'ped is still alive.  It's Chinese as hell.  Only "major" thing that's been replaced is the CDI box.

How long have you owned the moped?

shp4man

Looks like you still have the Sportster. Are you planning on modifying that too at some point?

Eye of the Tiger

Sportster is sold, dude. And that old beast mower was stolen.