2015 Subaru Legacy and Subaru Outback

Started by Atomic, January 30, 2014, 07:04:28 PM

Atomic

2015 Subaru Legacy to launch at Chicago Auto Show

BETTER PICS ADDED IN SUBSEQUENT BOXES, BELOW LEAD ARTICLE AND PHOTO
Atomic 9:52 p.m. EST

The Subaru Legacy concept, which was shown off at the LA Auto Show, should provide a good glimpse of what to expect from the 2015 Subaru Legacy that debuts at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show.

By Robert Duffer, Chicago Tribune

11:19 am, January 30, 2014

Subaru announced it will debut the all-new 2015 Legacy at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show, which runs from February 8 to 17.

Launched in 1989, the Subaru midsize sedan competes in a crowded class consisting of the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and Ford Fusion. The 6th generation Legacy promises to be sportier, with a "sleeker, more coupe-like profile," according to Subaru. The coupe-like design sounds like a Volkswagen CC.

It likely will be similar to the Legacy Concept that was introduced at the 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show, writes Jennifer Geiger of Cars. com. Expect all-wheel drive, a tighter rear seat and a "wide, imposing grille."

Subaru Outback Test Mule/Prototype Spy Shots Added, SEE BELOW 9:28 p.s. EST

Atomic

^ I have a buddy and fellow auto enthusiasts with what says are links w/ sketches of the MY15 Subaru Outback. I have yet to see them but will post what he emails IF they are even close to being worth a look. Lol. I will do some research now, as well.

I like the current generation Subaru Legacy-based Outback "wagon" (though classified as SUV/Crossover), its sole configuration for the past few years but the Legacy (officially in sedan form only) looks far more bland, IMO,

I think a sportier Legacy will be welcomed, as long as a more rakish Volkswagen CC-like roofline does not compromise headroom/interior space.

SPY SHOTS OF 2015 SUBARU OUTBACK, BELOW

MaxPower

Last time the concept car at best resembled the final product.  The production car is bloated and awkward.  Unfortunately Subaru's design took a major nose dive with the current generation Legacy/Outback so I'm hoping they improve it dramatically.  I'm not holding my breath, though.

MX793

The Legacy went from handsome to awkward with the current gen.  I'm not holding out much hope for the next generation.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

HERE ARE ACTUAL CONCEPT PHOTOS: 2015-MY SUBARU LEGACY

Atomic

2015-MY SUBARU OUTBACK SPY PIC

Credit for photo: CarScoops

2o6

You know what else had a concept? The new WRX.

And what did we get?

An Impreza with a nose job.

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on January 30, 2014, 07:51:37 PM
You know what else had a concept? The new WRX.

And what did we get?

An Impreza with a nose job.

This, 2o6? The reviews are coming in. Journalists are all seeming to say the same thing...

"It's far better than it looks..." But, IMO, LOOKS count in this segment and with its young following... And the predicted cost?? Dunno but I'm thinking $28,000-$30,000 base price... Does that sound right? It's just a guess...

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Do you not remember the WRX concept? Subaru said the WRX would be split off from the Impreza and not share much visually with the Impreza.

That's a lie

Catman

Love that but Subaru really needs to ditch the heinous roof rack on the Outback.  Not only is it ugly it useless if you want to use it with Thule/Yakima stuff.  Lousy. 

r0tor

They cant do that front overhang and the rear seats would not have any headroom... another huge letdown in the making
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on January 31, 2014, 02:48:43 PM
They cant do that front overhang and the rear seats would not have any headroom... another huge letdown in the making

You can't tell that from this profile.

This profile is nearly identical to the current model; which suggests a through reskin rather than an all new model.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on January 31, 2014, 03:14:56 PM

This profile is nearly identical to the current model; which suggests a through reskin rather than an all new model.

There's no similarity at all.....

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on January 31, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
There's no similarity at all.....

Add a little perspective, and you've got the top model. They're nearly the same, the roof of the old model might be a little higher, but only incrementally.

2o6

Called it

I think it goes a long way for what is a total body facelift. Still not good looking, however, the original hardpoints of the old car don't lend themselves to a pretty design.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4719993&postcount=1822

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/04/2015-subaru-legacy-leaked-chicago/

ifcar

It's obviously not a re-skin -- the roof is entirely different. It used to look like nothing else in its class, and now it looks ordinary instead of silly.

Colin

Meh........... bring back the desirability of the 2004 - 2009 model, please.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on February 04, 2014, 09:47:40 AM
It's obviously not a re-skin -- the roof is entirely different. It used to look like nothing else in its class, and now it looks ordinary instead of silly.

Actually, it likely is. A lot of design proportions of this car are shared with the old one; the same awkwardly tall slab-sided nature with little tumblehome, and the relationship of the doors and wheelbase are basically the same (that rear cutline especially). The A-pillar forward is pretty much the same as the old car. Yeah, the roofline is faster, and the greenhouse is a bit different, but overall the car is not super different from the old one.

It's a reskin in the same manner that the current Accord is "all new" or the Camry is "all new".

Subaru doesn't have money for an all new platform; and it'd be silly on their part to totally abandon the old car anyways.

MrH

How do you classify something as a "reskin" or not?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Maybe I shouldn't say "reskin" but this clearly is not a ground-up all-new design.

MrH

Unless it's a new model, very few cars are anymore it seems :huh:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on February 04, 2014, 12:01:51 PM
Unless it's a new model, very few cars are anymore it seems :huh:

I really wonder how much this is going to affect car design; VW's MQB is obviously not meant to be changed for a long while. I feel like we're going to get a string of cars for the next 10-15 years that have the same basic proportions.

2o6

What really bothers me about this design is that damn hood shutline. It looks like the car has already been in a wreck....

MrH

VW's MQB idea though really only limits the area between the front axle and the firewall.  There are going to be drastically different vehicles, all built off MQB.  It's not going to change design much.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on February 04, 2014, 12:46:14 PM
VW's MQB idea though really only limits the area between the front axle and the firewall.  There are going to be drastically different vehicles, all built off MQB.  It's not going to change design much.

I dunno, that still is a pretty big area that's unchangable. The dash to axle ratio of most of their cars will now be the same.....maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

Colin

It would seem that they're not even going to try to sell this in Europe - and given the paltry sales of the last version, that makes sense. We don't get the Impreza either, so Subaru are now down to the Forester and the XV, and the very small number of BRZs that Toyota let them build. How much longer will they even bother trying at all in Europe, I wonder?

TBR

I like it. Not a game changer like the Mazda6, but pleasantly attractive, which has pretty much been Subaru's MO with the Legacy (excluding the current model).

r0tor

How does subaru have all this design talent for concepts.... and then throw it out the window for production
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed