WRX vs. Police Charger

Started by AutobahnSHO, February 08, 2014, 03:15:07 PM

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: bing_oh on February 10, 2014, 10:24:08 AM
Most people (with a little common sense) avoid unplowed areas where they think there's a chance of getting stuck. We don't really have that option in LE when it's bad out. When we have to get there, sometimes we have to go through heavy drifts and such to do it. AWD is generally good enough for poorly maintained roads in those kinds of conditions, but it can be a different story when you're talking about heavily drifted roads. I've been tasked with "drift busting" for ambulances before using the department 4WD...and even then, it's quite possible to get stuck. There have been instances where guys have gotten even the 4WD stuck in heavy snow and we had to get assistance from one of the big plow trucks. Not extremely common here in Ohio, but every few years we have a particularly nasty winter where even AWD isn't quite enough and the 4WD comes in handy.

Get yourself a free used army truck and you will never have to worry about getting stuck again. 

SVT_Power

Quote from: Rupert on February 10, 2014, 12:43:07 AM
The key is a center diff lock, IMO.

The Sorrento has (I assume just electronically manipulated) lockable "center diff". Failed me in some deep stuff while I was in the countryside in vermont a couple of years ago. I drove one wheel by accident into like 2" of powder, car kind of balanced on each corner so the open diffs at both ends screwed me.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: bing_oh on February 10, 2014, 07:29:47 AM
Generally, 4wd is considered 50/50 power distribution, while awd is usually more like 80/20 (depending on the manufacturer). With computer traction control, the 80/20 isn't a hard and fast rule, though.

Besides a more even power distribution, most 4wd's also have a higher ground clearance, making them better for deep snow. Most 4wd's in LE are SUV's so, yes, they're built on a pickup chassis.

Pretty sure 4WD traditionally implied selectable 4WD - our old 2003 explorer would be exactly this since it had Auto(RWD until slip detected)/4HI/4LO.

The sorento on the other hand only offers a "4x4 lock" which splits power 50/50, otherwise its just split as the computer sees fit.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

4X4 = Selectable
AWD = 4X4, all the time

And of course, there's a zillion different kinds of each, but usually (usually) the principle applies for most normal consumer vehicles.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on February 10, 2014, 11:36:25 AM
True.  I guess I'm used to my old Tacoma and my dad's F150, which were both limited slip in the rear I believe.

If they have open diffs front and rear, there isn't really any difference between my rinky dink AWD and locking 4WD when it comes to traction in snow.

A lot of AWD systems have issues splitting power front and rear as shown in this video (actions starts at about 0:50). A traditional 4WD will guarantee each axle has 50% power even if that means only one tire has power/spin.

MX793

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 10, 2014, 12:33:09 PM
Pretty sure 4WD traditionally implied selectable 4WD - our old 2003 explorer would be exactly this since it had Auto(RWD until slip detected)/4HI/4LO.

The sorento on the other hand only offers a "4x4 lock" which splits power 50/50, otherwise its just split as the computer sees fit.

4X4 = part time (requires driver to engage), no center differential (when engaged, front and rear axles are locked to the same rotational speed).  Attempting to take a corner on dry pavement when 4X4 is engaged will bind up the drivetrain or cause tires to scrub/skid.

AWD = Full time.  Has a center differential to allow variation in front and rear axle speeds, allowing the vehicle to turn on dry pavement without scrubbing tires or damaging the driveline.  May or may not have a low range.  May or may not have a locking center diff.

Explorers, for a time, were available as either 4WD or AWD.  AWD models had a selectable 4X4 function that would lock up the center differential, as well as a 2-speed transfer case.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Mustangfan2003

Most new pick ups have an awd mode.  I believe the Trailblazer my mom drives has that too. 

MX793

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 10, 2014, 03:25:49 PM
Most new pick ups have an awd mode.  I believe the Trailblazer my mom drives has that too. 

A lot of pickups still use a traditional 4X4 setup.  AWD with a locking center diff (with or without the 2-speed transfer case) is largely an SUV feature.  Since the early '00s, most SUVs went this route and abandoned the more traditional 4X4 setup as even an option.  I'm guessing that decision was driven more by the buyer demographic (SUVs were targeted as family cars, more likely being driven around by people who aren't as familiar with the workings of 4WD as the average 4X4 pickup buyer).  I think the Wrangler is one of the last still hanging onto an old school 4X4 setup instead of an AWD w/ locking center diff and 2 speed transfer case.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Its all marketing, man. 4x4 is used to sound trucky, AWD is used to sound perofrmance oriented.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

bing_oh

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 10, 2014, 12:00:27 PMGet yourself a free used army truck and you will never have to worry about getting stuck again.

We considered getting some military surplus Hummers but that didn't pan out (thankfully).

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 10, 2014, 12:36:21 PM
4X4 = Selectable
AWD = 4X4, all the time

And of course, there's a zillion different kinds of each, but usually (usually) the principle applies for most normal consumer vehicles.

:confused:  What do you call the vast majority of AWD systems out on the market that are part time then?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on February 10, 2014, 02:55:49 PM

4X4 = part time (requires driver to engage), no center differential (when engaged, front and rear axles are locked to the same rotational speed).  Attempting to take a corner on dry pavement when 4X4 is engaged will bind up the drivetrain or cause tires to scrub/skid.

AWD = Full time.  Has a center differential to allow variation in front and rear axle speeds, allowing the vehicle to turn on dry pavement without scrubbing tires or damaging the driveline.  May or may not have a low range.  May or may not have a locking center diff.

Explorers, for a time, were available as either 4WD or AWD.  AWD models had a selectable 4X4 function that would lock up the center differential, as well as a 2-speed transfer case.

Only thing I would add to this is that AWD isn't always full-time. I know there were 4Runners with 2Hi, AWD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. Of course, with that SUV, you can argue that since there is a center diff, it's AWD...

Also, no matter what the label on the car says, 4WD is 4WD, and AWD is AWD. Further, AWD refers to a huge range of systems, most with a giant pile of electrogizmos, from effective (Subaru, Quattro), to marketing gimmick (some of the ones from the vid Cougs posted). 4WD means pretty much one thing with only a few variations (4Lo, front and rear LSDs or lockers).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 10, 2014, 12:36:21 PM
4X4 = Selectable
AWD = 4X4, all the time

Nope, see above. Selectability has nothing to do with it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

My understanding of the difference between AWD and 4WD is that sometimes manufacturers like the sound of AWD and sometimes they like the sound of 4WD.  AWD usually for cars, 4WD usually for trucks.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2014, 09:27:07 AM
My understanding of the difference between AWD and 4WD is that sometimes manufacturers like the sound of AWD and sometimes they like the sound of 4WD.  AWD usually for cars, 4WD usually for trucks.

Yep. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on February 10, 2014, 08:01:52 PM
:confused:  What do you call the vast majority of AWD systems out on the market that are part time then?

You mean an automatic 4WD system?  Or...SmartTrak? 

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Okay, well, never mind then I guess. :huh:

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on February 10, 2014, 03:40:42 PM
A lot of pickups still use a traditional 4X4 setup.  AWD with a locking center diff (with or without the 2-speed transfer case) is largely an SUV feature.  Since the early '00s, most SUVs went this route and abandoned the more traditional 4X4 setup as even an option.  I'm guessing that decision was driven more by the buyer demographic (SUVs were targeted as family cars, more likely being driven around by people who aren't as familiar with the workings of 4WD as the average 4X4 pickup buyer).  I think the Wrangler is one of the last still hanging onto an old school 4X4 setup instead of an AWD w/ locking center diff and 2 speed transfer case.

Tahoe/Suburban, IIRC

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2014, 09:27:07 AM

The terms have meanings that don't depend on the badges on the cars. Like the "sports car" definition thing.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: 2o6 on February 11, 2014, 07:29:24 PM
Tahoe/Suburban, IIRC

That's correct. 4Auto , 4L, 4H & 2H. I think.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on February 11, 2014, 08:25:16 PM
The terms have meanings that don't depend on the badges on the cars. Like the "sports car" definition thing.

In this case, no, I really don't think they do.

Rupert

I'll grant you that they are thoroughly abused terms.

68_427

I used to have a tow strap in my car.  It's got two very solid tow points in the rear.  I helped out alot of folks at the local community college last year.  They don't plow any lots for student housing...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no