TSX successor shopping

Started by Laconian, February 08, 2014, 07:45:05 PM

Laconian

I guess I'll start this thread. TSX lease is coming up in <1yr. We have the option of buying it outright, of course, but we're looking at possible replacements in case there's something more enticing.

The successor will almost certainly be another wagon of similar size, either new or new-ish (~3 year max age, ~30k max miles). Price cap is mid 30's.

We test drove the 2014 Jetta Sportwagen today, will follow up with my impressions.

Other cars we are going to look at:
* New Volvo V60 T5 FWD
* 2015 Jetta Sportwagen, when that becomes available
* 2015 Outback, ditto
* 2015 Audi A3 Sportback (when and if)

Used maybes:
* CTS
* 3-series
* A4
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Jetta Sportwagen

We test drove a SW TDI w/o nav for about an hour over a good variety of highways and backroads.

We were very impressed with the drive. The engine and transmission are such a pleasurable combination. The DSG shifts are extremely rapid and practically imperceptible, no untoward sensations of driveline lash or surging as it does its work. The engine pulls hard from low RPMs as expected, and the transmission does a good job at keeping the engine at its very low peak torque range. Going up hills was fun because the engine barely worked up a sweat. The TSX would probably have had to downshift a couple gears to keep up. Summary: dat torque! We averaged 35mpg during our spirited drive without even trying.

Steering, ride, and handling were all very good. The suspension soaked up bumps quickly without crashing, and the steering made the surface feel like glass without losing precision. The turning radius is very impressive.

In general the car is more fun to drive than the TSX. The fact that it's also 50% more fuel efficient is just icing on the cake.

The interior is lower rent than the TSX. The dashboard is made of cheaper materials, button blanks galore, and the sound system is shitty. The big upgrade would be the sunroof, which is two massive slabs of glass that run the entire length of the passenger compartment. It does a nice job of brightening up the entire interior.

The exterior is passable. I'm not a huge fan of how Jettas look, but :huh: In terms of exterior dimensions it is narrower and less long than the TSX, both are pluses since my boyfriend works in downtown where the parking situation is kind of shitty.

Price came to about $30.5k after my discount. I am going to crunch the numbers to see what the fuel savings would mean for us. I am also going to see if the sound system can be upgraded. If we can improve the speakers, then this car would be a very strong contender!

CJ

We paid a little more than $23,000 for our Jetta. You should be able to get some discounts somewhere. The audio is better if you adjust it properly. I was pleased, but it was also lacking in bass.

CJ

It is a fantastic car. Great comfort, good build quality, and astounding fuel economy. I did 44.2 MPG for my Florida trip, and I was barely trying.

Laconian

Compared to the TSX it really isn't very good. :| The TSX has about 53 more speakers including a center channel and a subwoofer built into the hatch.

My fuel savings estimate is $450/yr, assuming a 35mpg avg during the commute. (TSX gets 25mpg)

CJ

My mom does around 37 on her commute. It's 50/50.

They radio definitely won't be as good as the TSX. They're superb.

Laconian

I do love the seats too, they are firm but shaped quite nicely, with way more support for the upper back and neck. The seat heating elements go up to the shoulderblades...!

Laconian

What does the Volvo community think of the V60?

I wish they were still a part of Ford, then I would've received a discount on it :|

CJ

Have your BF check with Perkspot and see what he can get off of a V60. I really like the V60. It's gorgeous and very practical. With the sport seats, it'll be fantastic. Even without them, the seats will be endlessly comfortable. You'd have to get it in blue.

Laconian

Laconian

I wonder how many of the interior misgivings will be solved for the 2015 model.

CJ

Price w/nav on a Jetta is $28.8k.

68_427

When does the MKVII Golf wagon come out?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Quote from: 68_427 on February 08, 2014, 09:29:03 PM
When does the MKVII Golf wagon come out?

"Debuts" at NYIAS, so, definitely not before that.

We're not in a hurry. The reviews of the 2014 Golf Variant (future Volkswagen Wagonthing) are very positive, so we're content to wait and see what that's like.

In the meantime we can try other cars. :dance:

Laconian

Quote from: CJ on February 08, 2014, 09:23:32 PM
Price w/nav on a Jetta is $28.8k.
OK.

We aren't going to worry about prices ATM, at this point we are just getting an idea about which cars we prefer.

Laconian

CTS wagons are pretty rare.

Do CTSes hold up over time, or do they suffer from accelerated aging (or "GMness" as 280z likes to call it)?

CJ

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2014, 09:40:11 PM
OK.

We aren't going to worry about prices ATM, at this point we are just getting an idea about which cars we prefer.

It got me curious.

I feel like the CTS will still have that GMness. Ask Craig about it.

GoCougs

Eh, but you gotta run the gauntlet of greazy diesel pumps and that stench of diesel on your shoes.

GTI doesn't have enough cargo space? Jetta wagon with the (new) GTI drive train would be compelling though...

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2014, 08:16:44 PM
Compared to the TSX it really isn't very good. :| The TSX has about 53 more speakers including a center channel and a subwoofer built into the hatch.

My fuel savings estimate is $450/yr, assuming a 35mpg avg during the commute. (TSX gets 25mpg)

I assume you factored in the higher price of diesel?

Laconian

Quote from: ifcar on February 08, 2014, 10:13:31 PM
I assume you factored in the higher price of diesel?
The TSX takes premium, so that's kind of a wash.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on February 08, 2014, 10:03:42 PM
Eh, but you gotta run the gauntlet of greazy diesel pumps and that stench of diesel on your shoes.

GTI doesn't have enough cargo space? Jetta wagon with the (new) GTI drive train would be compelling though...

You're a wuss with handling diesel. :lol: GTD is more compelling than the GTI if we were to go with a smaller hatchback car.

We are really happy with station wagon form factor, it would be pretty hard to trade down to something else.

2o6

CTS is going to feel very cheap by comparison.

Laconian

To the Jetta? Because that was still tolerable to us, our major qualm was the crappy sound system.

2o6

it's going to be quieter and have a better sound system, but it has a lot of older GM switchgear that feels a little cheap, IMO.

Laconian

It looks like there are very few CTS wagons in existence. The ones I could find are relatively high miles, too (50k+)

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2014, 10:24:56 PM
The TSX takes premium, so that's kind of a wash.

At my local gas station today diesel was running ~5% higher than premium...

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2014, 10:27:51 PM
You're a wuss with handling diesel. :lol: GTD is more compelling than the GTI if we were to go with a smaller hatchback car.

We are really happy with station wagon form factor, it would be pretty hard to trade down to something else.

TOTAL wuss. In addition to being a noise Nazi I'm a smell Nazi too - diesel, cigs, and people with wood burning stoves stinkin' up my street are high on my list.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on February 09, 2014, 12:32:58 AM
TOTAL wuss. In addition to being a noise Nazi I'm a smell Nazi too - diesel, cigs, and people with wood burning stoves stinkin' up my street are high on my list.

two out of three of those smell wonderful.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator