TSX successor shopping

Started by Laconian, February 08, 2014, 07:45:05 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on February 16, 2014, 07:36:02 PM
I wouldn't kick one out of bed

I'd tongue punch one in its fart box.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

68_427

I think they look much better in real life, and they drive well.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

I actually think the X3 looks stupid, despite it being more conventional and what have u

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

The X1 seems like a RAV4. Anyways, it is going to be crazy pricy when its suitably optioned up.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Probably drives better than anything in (or I guess close to) its segment, however

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Or anything else on his list barring a used 3 series.  Speaking of which if you're looking at CPO 3 series you could probably get a CPO X1 for even less.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

We just test-drove a 3s Grand Touring w/technology package (adaptive cruise, i-ELOOP yadayada), and let me tell you, it was scary good.

Drive: Solid, taught, and torquey, like a Mini Cooper S. Steering is meaty at lower speeds and becomes very sensitive at speed. It's more "sport-sedan" than the TSX, which follows the easy "point and shoot" Civic school. Suspension was taut and dialed-in, bumps were handled in a firm but not punishing way. More fun overall than the TSX. The TSX is heavier and has lower torque.

Exterior: Looks AMAZING. It's like a Brera and a previous-generation Z4 had a child. It's chunky and creased in a way that flows beautifully. It's especially gorgeous in Crystal Blue, which is probably the color we'd get.

Interior: Tastefully done, high quality buttons and switches, some gimmicky carbon fiber in places but overall about 90% of the TSX's quality. Sound system is quite good. Heads up display is not a dumb gimmick as I had feared. The placement is right, and it's functional too - it shows navigation prompts and lane guidance.

Features: Laser cruise, low speed head-on collision auto-braking, higher speed head-on collision brake priming, lane departure warnings, blind spot detection, keyless entry and start, auto high beams. At this point I would complain about the car being a bloated whale. But the thing is only 3050 lbs - it's lightweight too!

The out-the-door price I was quoted (applying a discount) was $28k when optioned up to the gills. Yes, that's expensive for a smaller car, but any other car with such an extensive list of feature content would be $5k more, $15k if we're talking BMW and the like.

I'm going to run some numbers. In driving the 3, my boyfriend was musing about how much nicer it would be for him to have a smaller car downtown (where he works). I wonder if this means that the Outback isn't even worth waiting for. I'll also compute the total fuel bills for the Golf Variant/future Jetta SW, accounting for the diesel vs. 87 octane gas. I'm betting it would be a wash.

Laconian

So, what's the process of terminating a lease early like? What are the pros and cons? How do I run the relevant figures?

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on February 17, 2014, 05:02:49 PM
So, what's the process of terminating a lease early like? What are the pros and cons? How do I run the relevant figures?

I think you just call up the dealer ship and be all, "bitch, this is bullshit; I'm outta here, muthafucka!". :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Rupert

Just tell them you're upgrading to an Escalade.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

I need to crunch some numbers to see if the fuel economy benefits might warrant an earlier switch.

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on February 17, 2014, 05:02:49 PM

Why on earth wouldn't you just wait out the lease?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on February 17, 2014, 04:58:43 PM
We just test-drove a 3s Grand Touring w/technology package (adaptive cruise, i-ELOOP yadayada), and let me tell you, it was scary good.

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 17, 2014, 06:11:35 PM
Why on earth wouldn't you just wait out the lease?

:hesaid:

Secret Chimp

If you don't have to, why bother

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 17, 2014, 06:49:35 PM
If you don't have to, why bother

Running the numbers would help us understand that scenario better. It probably would not work out.

Laconian

Annnnnd after looking at the listings, that avenue isn't looking too great.

So, it looks like Mazda3 wins this unless the 2015 VW or the 2015 Outback are really awesome.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on February 17, 2014, 07:01:28 PM
Annnnnd after looking at the listings, that avenue isn't looking too great.

So, it looks like Mazda3 wins this unless the 2015 VW or the 2015 Outback are really awesome.

Oh, the Mazda3 wins.

GoCougs

In all snobbish honesty, do you really want an econo car in the household?

I'd so rock a GTI first even the current Mark VI (and yes, I've never driven a 3).

MexicoCityM3

Please do not refer to the Mazda 3 as a "3".

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on February 17, 2014, 07:05:36 PM
In all snobbish honesty, do you really want an econo car in the household?

I'd so rock a GTI first even the current Mark VI (and yes, I've never driven a 3).
Honestly, the 3 beats the TSX on its own turf in many ways, in my opinion. You might call it an economy car, but very little about it actually feels cheap. 25% better fuel economy, on cheaper gas, with an engine that makes largely the same power, all on a chassis that is 800 pounds lighter. Summary: much more for much less. Where's the downside? :huh:

It's not a cheap car, anyways. It aims for the same premium compact niche that VW occupies.

Laconian

Laconian

I still want to try a GTI, though. I don't think it'll pass muster, but it would be fun to try, anyway.

CALL_911

Why are you shopping for a car so prematurely?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

And hell yeah to the GTI suggestion

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 17, 2014, 07:22:34 PM
Why are you shopping for a car so prematurely?
Time pressure takes the fun out of it. We had to make a decision quickly with the TSX because the Mazda was wrecked. I don't regret the TSX at all, but it made for a stressful couple of weeks and probably compromised our bargaining position.