2016-MY Mazda MX-5 Banter Begins & A Rendering is Created

Started by Atomic, February 10, 2014, 04:55:50 PM

Payman

Jesus, this is why I stay clear of negative people. A few points:

1. How the hell can you determine the rendering is "nice" if it tells you "nothing"?
2. The Mazda render is based on Mazda's current design language, and (to me, anyways) seems completely plausible and realistic, except perhaps the windshield rake.
3. I'm pretty sure modern Alfas are reasonably reliable. Otherwise they would never survive in today's marketplace. Nobody calls Audis unreliable, even though they made the shitbox Fox in the '70s.
4. The Alfa render may be based on a Solstice (I don't think it is), but is completely plausible because, A) To keep costs down, the headlights would need to be slim like the Miata's. Otherwise, Alfa would need its own hood and front fenders to accomodate the ugly clusters found on the 4C and other Alfas. B) The closer we get to production, the more accurate renders will emerge as information leaks. As a positive person, I think we are getting pretty close to the actual cars, and I am excited about that.

Catman

MX793

Quote from: MrH on February 12, 2014, 05:44:14 AM
Came in last in EVO's car of the year discussions.  Steering and powertrain are both supposed to be awful.

Auto Express claimed the steering was incredible with excellent feedback, but knocked the powertrain (in comparison to the Cayman).  The turbo-4 has noticeable turbo lag and the twin-clutch gearbox isn't as good as PDK.  The steering is unassisted, I'm not sure how you're going to get better steering feedback than that.  Although, being unassisted, there's no system in place to make the steering heavier with speed so it might seem a bit twitchy at higher speeds.

C&D noted that the steering was incredibly precise and offered levels of feedback not seen in ages.  R&T griped a bit about the transmission and turbo lag, but likewise praised the handling and called the driving experience "brilliant" and more involving on the street than a Boxster/Cayman (though they gave Porsche the edge at 10/10ths on a racetrack, the Alfa tends to understeer at the limit).

Autocar also praised the steering, but also noted that the nature of the unassisted steering is that it will walk around a bit on uneven surfaces.  They also noted that the car understeered at the limit and it was difficult to coax it into oversteer.

My guess is the folks at EVO just prefer power steering.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2014, 01:28:24 PM
I know, but it's the one car brand that car guys love that I just don't get. And I find their cars ugly. And junk.
Just curious...How did you get hooked on Mazda as your automotive "Femme Fatale"?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Onslaught

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 12, 2014, 03:28:15 PM
Just curious...How did you get hooked on Mazda as your automotive "Femme Fatale"?
My father worked on them. And then I worked on them. And we had lots of them in the family and they never gave us any problems at all. As a matter of fact out of all the Fords, Chev's, Toyota's, Dodge's and Mazda's in our family the Mazda's did the best overall. That and The RX-7 and MX-5 are both cars that I like and can actually buy. And then you have the rotary engine.

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on February 12, 2014, 02:48:03 PM

1. How the hell can you determine the rendering is "nice" if it tells you "nothing"?
2. The Mazda render is based on Mazda's current design language, and (to me, anyways) seems completely plausible and realistic, except perhaps the windshield rake.
3. I'm pretty sure modern Alfas are reasonably reliable. Otherwise they would never survive in today's marketplace. Nobody calls Audis unreliable, even though they made the shitbox Fox in the '70s.
4. The Alfa render may be based on a Solstice (I don't think it is), but is completely plausible because, A) To keep costs down, the headlights would need to be slim like the Miata's. Otherwise, Alfa would need its own hood and front fenders to accomodate the ugly clusters found on the 4C and other Alfas. B) The closer we get to production, the more accurate renders will emerge as information leaks. As a positive person, I think we are getting pretty close to the actual cars, and I am excited about that.
1. I don't know
2. I agree
3. I'd make the argument that Audis aren't that reliable. Or I'd not trust them much anyway. But they do make some nice interiors.

I actually don't care for renderings. They almost always way off and it's just some guy making shit up just so they have something to say/show.

MrH

Quote from: Rockraven on February 12, 2014, 02:48:03 PM

What?  It never gets close to the actual car unless it's based off some sort of spy shots that give some things away.

Kind of pointless to weigh in on a baseless interpretation of what it'll look like if there's nothing to back it up. :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2014, 05:02:24 PM
My father worked on them. And then I worked on them. And we had lots of them in the family and they never gave us any problems at all. As a matter of fact out of all the Fords, Chev's, Toyota's, Dodge's and Mazda's in our family the Mazda's did the best overall. That and The RX-7 and MX-5 are both cars that I like and can actually buy. And then you have the rotary engine.
Sounds reasonable.  I thought it might have something to do with their racing history as well...i.e. Le Mans in '91.

SVT32V

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2014, 05:02:24 PM

Yet the rotary engines in the RX-7 were never known for their longevity, in fact they are known for blown apex seals at relatively low mileage.
The rest of the FD was also not all that robust.
That being said they are still my favorite JP cars from the 90s.

Payman

Quote from: MrH on February 12, 2014, 05:38:17 PM
What?  It never gets close to the actual car unless it's based off some sort of spy shots that give some things away.

Kind of pointless to weigh in on a baseless interpretation of what it'll look like if there's nothing to back it up. :huh:

Meh, they're beautiful renders. Makes me excited for the real thing. Accurate or not.

Onslaught

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 12, 2014, 06:06:41 PM
Sounds reasonable.  I thought it might have something to do with their racing history as well...i.e. Le Mans in '91.
That too.

2o6

We've seen no mules or anything leaked from Mazda or Alfa that hint to any styling language that they'll use on this car. We've seen no mules as to what we can base proportioning of what the car might look like.

It tells us absolutely nothing.....it's a photochop/drawing that looks nice.

And that rendering is clearly a Solstice, same thing from the A-pillar back

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on February 12, 2014, 06:56:39 PM
We've seen no mules or anything leaked from Mazda or Alfa that hint to any styling language that they'll use on this car. We've seen no mules as to what we can base proportioning of what the car might look like.

It tells us absolutely nothing.....it's a photochop/drawing that looks nice.

And that rendering is clearly a Solstice, same thing from the A-pillar back

Animals!

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT32V on February 12, 2014, 06:24:10 PM
Yet the rotary engines in the RX-7 were never known for their longevity, in fact they are known for blown apex seals at relatively low mileage.
The rest of the FD was also not all that robust.
That being said they are still my favorite JP cars from the 90s.
I admit it, it's a totally illogical love I have for them. And I understand 100% why others wouldn't have the same love. I'm not a Mustang guy (I hate a few of them) but I understand why some people like them. I on the other hand have never understood the deal with Alfa's.
But that's ok. If we all liked the same shit then things would be dull.

MrH

Mazda makes the most fun to drive cars just about across the board when it comes to mainstream economy cars.  Mazda 2, 3, 5, 6, CX-5, CX-9 are pretty much all class leading in the fun to drive category.  And they make the miata.  It's hard not to like the company as an enthusiast.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on February 13, 2014, 09:26:13 AM
I admit it, it's a totally illogical love I have for them. And I understand 100% why others wouldn't have the same love. I'm not a Mustang guy (I hate a few of them) but I understand why some people like them. I on the other hand have never understood the deal with Alfa's.
But that's ok. If we all liked the same shit then things would be dull.
All understandable.  Personally, I like Alfas, though I don't, particularly, like this rendering.  Imo, they've made some of the most gorgeous cars, especially   up to the '70s...and then there is their racing history.