2016-MY Mazda MX-5 Banter Begins & A Rendering is Created

Started by Atomic, February 10, 2014, 04:55:50 PM

Atomic

As with any iconic vehicle, talk of change can instill both great hopes for something even better and fear of ruining a good thing, especially in the minds and spirits of its loyalist. The Mazda Miata is no exception. CarScoops provides us with the latest chatter and even a rendering to either tear apart or praise. ~ Atomic

Future Cars: Revitalizing Mazda's Next-Gen 2016 MX-5 Roadster

By: Josh Byrnes for CarScoops

On: WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 05, 2014

Credit: Josh Byrnes

Mazda's long serving MX-5 Miata is what you would call a true, pure drivers car; an affordable rear-drive, front-engined roadster with a fun value dialed to max. It's still one of the bestselling roadsters on the market today and retains a strong, loyal following.

Nevertheless, the Japanese carmaker and Alfa Romeo are co-developing a successor to the MX-5 that stays true to the original formula (the Italian manufacturer will get their own distinctive Spider version). So with that in mind, it was decided to digitally envisage how the next MX-5 could look.

Design:

First of all, I'll make no secret that the design of the original MX-5 never quite appealed in my mind. Sure, it looked like a cute British roadster; yet it was too feminine, barbie-like to seriously consider for my driveway. Successive generations have improve the appeal somewhat, with more gender-neutral styling gracing the current two-seater.

This design study is heavily influenced by Mazda's 'Kodo' design language, with the aim of making it more masculine whilst retaining those classic sports-car proportions.

So starting at the business end; the long, dynamic hood sweeps down into the bumper. Below this is Mazda's new corporate grille flanked by headlights that pay homage to prior generation MX-5's with their smooth, rounded edges. Further down, a heavily flanked lower bumper extension skirts around the sides, helping emphasize the car's planted stance.

Sharp creases dominate the front fenders as they sweep backwards into the doors - mimicking the effect seen on the Mazda Takeri concept. While the first three generations of MX-5 have had rather upright windscreens, this proposal takes on more of an speedster approach with its heavily raked frontal glass.

One area where the MX-5 has disappointed in the past is in the hindquarters - drab is a word that comes to mind. Anything with a strong frontal presence should equally look great from the rear too; while not illustrated here, the taillights sit neatly into the crisp rear fenders, separated by an aggressive duck-tailed trunk lid.

Interior:

Mazda has been advancing well with its interiors in recent years. Compared with what they were pumping out in the late 1990's, most of their lineup now boasts premium switchgear, materials and build quality.

However, there is always room for improvement - the MX5 needs to push the envelope further with striking design and sublime detailing. Think about what's currently found in the Jaguar F-Type, Audi TT and BMW Z4 (but on a budget); such a cabin should make the driver feel special - not the opposite.

Don't expect cabin real estate be vast; but rather incremental improvements to comfortably seat its occupants with improved hip and legroom. For those rain-doused fast get-aways, a quicker folding ragtop mechanism should help stop upper-body moisture and dampness issues.

What Could Power It:

Of course, a Rotary should - what else? However, back on earth, the next MX5 could use a new 1.5-liter and 2.0-liter fours in 'Skyactiv-G 2' configuration. Say what? This is an extended development of current Skyactiv premise that brings Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) to the table. Along with improvements in cooling (which is a challenge with HCCI engines), this second-generation setup brings diesel-like efficiency to the petrol engine without having to utilize hybrid technology.

Platform & Handling:

This conceptual study rides on the same base that underpins the Alfa Romeo's upcoming Spider, so you can bet on one hell of a driver's package. Power will still be fed to the rear wheels via six speed manual or six speed automatic transmissions.

Usually car manufacturers like to get a good balance between ride and handling; for the MX-5, this means additional wheelbase length to help with stability whilst maintaining acceptable ride quality. The Skyactiv philosophy will also target weight reduction in the aim of improving nimbleness for an more engaging drive.

While its Alfa Romeo platform-sibling should provide equal amounts of driving fun, direct competition is expected to arrive in Toyota/Scion GT-86 format. However, until those gas torches finally tackle the GT-86's roof, Mazda has a relatively clear playing field (unless MX-5 pricing skyrockets). 

In summary: My design proposition may appear as a departure from MX5's of yesteryear, yet I'd ague that change was needed to captivate a broader audience. What emerges once Mazda rips the covers off its next roadster could be an interesting surprise - that 2015 Chicago Auto Show can't come soon enough.   

Let us know your thoughts and suggestions in the discussion area below.

Atomic

I think the rendering is gorgeous but will the next Mazda MX-5 Miata resemble something as upscale as what Josh Byrnes created? Trust me, I am not putting down the Miata by any means. I merely am saying that I see the Mazda as a car with a simpler design... Some may even call the MX-5 Miata a cute roadster. I dunno... But I do know this... I love the current car and the sheik design by Josh -- on an Alfa Romeo, perhaps. Hmm... 

SVT666

That rendering is awesome.  It's got some new Z4 in the overall shape.  I dig it.

Payman

Xer0

If the next MX-5 looks anything like that then screw practicality, I will own that car. 

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

The Alfa/Mazda collab on this is very exciting. I wonder if there will be an Abarf!

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on February 10, 2014, 07:36:14 PM
This rendering is basically a stab in the dark, no?

Given Mazda's current design language, I bet it's pretty close.

Onslaught

That looks too large. Seeing that Mazda has said they're returning to the roots on the ND and making it more like the NA and weight less. That thing has the 19" rims from my RX-8 on it.

ifcar

There's sort of a Dodge Dart vibe in that front end, but I do hope the design is more of a radical departure from the current model than the previous two have been. I think too few people remember that it's a sports car instead of a cute car.

Catman

2o6

thewizard16

Dear Mazda: forget any pending designs, hire that man, and build a car that looks like that rendering.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Onslaught

Actually that grille in the picture is too big and that idiotic black bar in it could go away.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on February 10, 2014, 07:36:14 PM
This rendering is basically a stab in the dark, no?

Mazda rendering looks like a Z4 chop.  In other news, the Alfa rendering just might have jumped to the top of the list over "another E85 Z4" as the car that might replace my Z4.  We'll see what happens when it actually comes out and if it ever comes to the US. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2014, 10:14:31 PM
Mazda rendering looks like a Z4 chop.  In other news, the Alfa rendering just might have jumped to the top of the list over "another E85 Z4" as the car that might replace my Z4.  We'll see what happens when it actually comes out and if it ever comes to the US.

That Alfa rendering is clearly a Solstice....

MrH

These renderings are worthless.  It's just the brain child of some guy on the internet, not necessarily what it'll look like at all.

Also, Alfa hasn't built a car that reportedly drives well in quite awhile :lol:  While the 8C and 4C look great, the fact that Alfa is involved in the development at all of the new Miata isn't comforting.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Every review of the 4C I've read says the car is brilliant.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: MX793 on February 12, 2014, 05:42:44 AM
Every review of the 4C I've read says the car is brilliant.

Came in last in EVO's car of the year discussions.  Steering and powertrain are both supposed to be awful.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on February 12, 2014, 05:44:14 AM
Came in last in EVO's car of the year discussions.  Steering and powertrain are both supposed to be awful.

That's like coming last in the Olympics.  You're still better than 99% of people who are trying to do the same thing that you are.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on February 12, 2014, 07:28:41 AM
That's like coming last in the Olympics.  You're still better than 99% of people who are trying to do the same thing that you are.

When you can afford a car of that price level, why would you purchase the worst car out there?

Btw, JCW Mini was much better than it.  Someone else did a review and placed the 4C will behind the Cayman too.  It just looks pretty, that's about it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on February 12, 2014, 08:26:03 AM
When you can afford a car of that price level, why would you purchase the worst car out there?

Btw, JCW Mini was much better than it.  Someone else did a review and placed the 4C will behind the Cayman too.  It just looks pretty, that's about it.

Interesting.  I haven't read any reviews of it (or seen the new Top Gear where they review it), so I just don't know.  But, as I've experienced, even if a car doesn't with the comparisons, it could very well strike the right chord with you when you drive it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

Quote from: MrH on February 12, 2014, 05:39:50 AM
These renderings are worthless.  It's just the brain child of some guy on the internet, not necessarily what it'll look like at all.

Also, Alfa hasn't built a car that reportedly drives well in quite awhile :lol:  While the 8C and 4C look great, the fact that Alfa is involved in the development at all of the new Miata isn't comforting.
My understanding was they're using the MX-5 chassis and making their own body and engine. Therefore taking a good, reliable Miata and making it and unreliable and built for Euro snobs.

mzziaz

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2014, 10:35:00 AM
My understanding was they're using the MX-5 chassis and making their own body and engine. Therefore taking a good, reliable Miata and making it and unreliable and built for Euro snobs refining it and making it actually good looking.

Fixed it for you  :evildude:
Cuore Sportivo

Onslaught

I actually can only think of two alfa's I ever thought looked good. All the others are ugly overrated junk. And I hate their emblem. But "looking good" won't do you any good when your car is in the shop and depreciating fast.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2014, 10:41:32 AM
I actually can only think of two alfa's I ever thought looked good. All the others are ugly overrated junk. And I hate their emblem. But "looking good" won't do you any good when your car is in the shop and depreciating fast.

I think you're in the extreme minority there. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  on February 12, 2014, 01:22:30 PM
I think you're in the extreme minority there.
I know, but it's the one car brand that car guys love that I just don't get. And I find their cars ugly. And junk.