The Natural Order of the Automotive Universe Prevails Once Again

Started by FoMoJo, February 28, 2014, 12:29:28 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Water cooled turbos have been around forever, and it seems like they are not immune to premature failure when subjected to the typical consumer.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on March 01, 2014, 01:30:48 PM
Honda had one in the first gen RDX but for the 2nd get they dumped it for their corporate 3.5L V6 (and it got faster, better MPG, and far less NVH). 

The RDX was a low compression engine (8.8:1), not really taking advantage of the efficiency gains to be found with modern high compression FI/DI motors.  This is in line with the poor power levels for such a large turbo 4 cyl.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 01, 2014, 05:58:42 PM
Water cooled turbos have been around forever, and it seems like they are not immune to premature failure when subjected to the typical consumer.
Time will tell with the EcoBoost.  Ford estimates 10 years or 150k miles of reliability.  Guess it will depend on usage and maintenance.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 01, 2014, 07:10:35 PM
Time will tell with the EcoBoost.  Ford estimates 10 years or 150k miles of reliability.  Guess it will depend on usage and maintenance.

So who isn't going to be pissed to have to put $3,000+ worth of turbos on a 8-12 year-old F150?

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on March 01, 2014, 06:17:21 PM
The RDX was a low compression engine (8.8:1), not really taking advantage of the efficiency gains to be found with modern high compression FI/DI motors.  This is in line with the poor power levels for such a large turbo 4 cyl.

IMO Honda just accepted what Ford is seeing with the F150 EB - when driven normally turbos don't offer any MPG advantage over an equivalent and larger N/A motor.

GoCougs

Hmmm. I was surprised by this. Looks the new N/A motors (and pooprod no less) are gaming the EPA test just as good as the turbo motor (city/highway/combined for 2014 MY):

F-150 EB V6 4WD
15/21/17

Silverado 6.2L 4WD
14/20/17

Ram 5.7L 4WD
15/21/17

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on March 01, 2014, 07:37:57 PM
Hmmm. I was surprised by this. Looks the new N/A motors (and pooprod no less) are gaming the EPA test just as good as the turbo motor (city/highway/combined for 2014 MY):

F-150 EB V6 4WD
15/21/17

Silverado 6.2L 4WD
14/20/17

Ram 5.7L 4WD
15/21/17
You must realize that it's 90% marketing and 10% reality.  Ram claims its 8 speed transmission will perform miracles and Chevy is claiming their cylinder deactivation can function as efficiently as a 4 cylinder engine.  Ford's advantage is that it got out front with its EcoBoost name.  It's become recognizable as the standard for fuel efficiency.  Chevy/GM usually wins in the marketing game, so this is an, almost, first for Ford.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2014, 06:44:10 AM
You must realize that it's 90% marketing and 10% reality.  Ram claims its 8 speed transmission will perform miracles and Chevy is claiming their cylinder deactivation can function as efficiently as a 4 cylinder engine.  Ford's advantage is that it got out front with its EcoBoost name.  It's become recognizable as the standard for fuel efficiency.  Chevy/GM usually wins in the marketing game, so this is an, almost, first for Ford.

Those numbers aren't just made up.  They're generated from a standardized test.

I would point out that the F-150 is the heaviest of the half-ton segment, comparing like configuration to like configuration.  The extended cab EB 4x4 F150 is 100+ lbs heavier than the extended cab Silverado 6.2 4x4 (can't get the 6.2 in the regular cab).  The regular cab 5.3L 4x4 Silverado is 500 lbs lighter than the regular cab EB 4x4.  The regular cab EB 4x4 F150 is 300+ lbs heavier than a regular cab 5.7L Ram 1500 4x4.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2014, 06:44:10 AM

As stated, those numbers are from the US government fuel economy tests (fueleconomy.gov).

"EcoBoost" marketing has gone poorly for Ford. The 2.0T failed in the Taurus, Edge and Explorer (same real-world MPG as the V6 yet under performs) and civil class actions suits abound regarding F150 EcoBoost.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on March 02, 2014, 08:21:09 AM
As stated, those numbers are from the US government fuel economy tests (fueleconomy.gov).

"EcoBoost" marketing has gone poorly for Ford. The 2.0T failed in the Taurus, Edge and Explorer (same real-world MPG as the V6 yet under performs) and civil class actions suits abound regarding F150 EcoBoost.
Still, the sales are increasing.

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on March 01, 2014, 07:31:57 PM
IMO Honda just accepted what Ford is seeing with the F150 EB - when driven normally turbos don't offer any MPG advantage over an equivalent and larger N/A motor.

Just as likely they put out a poor performing low compression turbo 4 and let it languish for 7 or 8 model years without upgrades.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on March 04, 2014, 04:42:48 PM
Just as likely they put out a poor performing low compression turbo 4 and let it languish for 7 or 8 model years without upgrades.

But it's happening with brand new engines too; EcoBoost as described and in the Camcord class the (10+ year old) V6s in the Japanese sedans get just as good real-world MPG as the new turbo-4s in the Fusion, Malibu, Sonata and Optima.

SVT32V

The ludicrous 2016 CAFE mileage is looming on the horizon, gaming the EPA mileage test system is the task at hand. The govt doesn't much care about the real world.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT32V on March 04, 2014, 06:11:55 PM
The ludicrous 2016 CAFE mileage is looming on the horizon, gaming the EPA mileage test system is the task at hand. The govt doesn't much care about the real world.

Since the 2016 CAFE regs are bases on the footprint of a vehicle (wheelbase*track), I can see some cars getting widened and stretched as a substitute for improving fuel economy.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 04, 2014, 07:27:45 PM
Since the 2016 CAFE regs are bases on the footprint of a vehicle (wheelbase*track), I can see some cars getting widened and stretched as a substitute for improving fuel economy.

I hadn't realized that. Like most of these regulations, it makes little sense.

I'm guessing that's going to mean bad things for hot hatches.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator