Why would you buy the STI?

Started by CALL_911, March 09, 2014, 06:48:22 PM

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 09, 2014, 06:48:22 PM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti

This new motor in the WRX is great, does the STI make any sense anymore?

We talked about that exact article in the wrx thread. IMO, no, it's not worth it at all. The FA family is much more capable. The wrx is just a la ecu tune away from eating sti's. You don't have the fancy center diff, but that's about it.

Once they get the new FA into the sti and up to 350+ hp, the sti will be relevant again. Until then, it's just a trophy for the hardcore subaru fanboys.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

In the last generation, the WRX's 5-speed was weak. People were reporting fucked synchros by like 50k miles. That was probably the biggest deterrent from me having gotten one over the GTI. Truthfully, I'd have gotten the STI over the old WRX for that reason alone. Now, though, I can't think of a reason to buy the STI aside from your fanboy reasoning. Had this thing been out in 2010, I'd have been all over it. Hell, I'd love to replace my car with one....

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 09, 2014, 06:55:45 PM
In the last generation, the WRX's 5-speed was weak. People were reporting fucked synchros by like 50k miles. That was probably the biggest deterrent from me having gotten one over the GTI. Truthfully, I'd have gotten the STI over the old WRX for that reason alone. Now, though, I can't think of a reason to buy the STI aside from your fanboy reasoning. Had this thing been out in 2010, I'd have been all over it. Hell, I'd love to replace my car with one....

I'm far from being a big subaru fan boy, but if I had to go to only one vehicle for whatever reason, it's hard to not go with the new wrx. Golf R that's coming out would be tempting, but that'll be another $7k more.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 09, 2014, 06:48:22 PM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti

This new motor in the WRX is great, does the STI make any sense anymore?

Actually the STI now makes more sense than it ever did before.

I don't get the raving about the FA turbo motor in the WRX, no one seems to forget that the new WRX is now slower than it EVER has been since 2008, while the new STI is now faster based on the new batches of tests.

There is nearly a 3.5 mph trap speed gap between the 2 cars in the road and track article, and a sizable ET difference.

And even more difference in other magazine tests.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1403_2015_subaru_wrx_sti_first_test/

A 5mph trap speed difference between the two cars.  To put that in perspective that's like the difference in trap speed between a BMW 335i and 328i.  Or the difference between a Camaro ZL1 and SS.

C&D got a good time out of the WRX (they always get fast times anyway), but has yet to test the STI.

Compare this to the old WRX which ran pretty much identical times to the STI counterpart in ET and trap speed, wherever you looked.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/112_0810_2009_subaru_impreza_wrx_test/suspension_changes.html

In addition, I'd be more weary of this new FA motor.  I came close to pulling the trigger on a BRZ because I really liked the car, and in the winter of 2012, the local dealers were moving out Limited models at the high 25K mark and Premiums at the mid to high 24K mark.  I didn't pull the trigger last minute because of all the issues I saw on FT86club about all the endless CEL issues, cricket noise issues. And their reliability is something like 108% below average in Consumer reports.

Add to that the new STI is lot sharper than before.  Faster than before.  More hardcore than before.  The new WRX is slower than before, heavier than before, now comes with electric steering which is good, but not as good as the supposedly brillant hydraulic system in the STI, and comes with an unproven engine known to have issues even in NA form.  Yes it now has less turbo lag.  Great, but it doesn't make up for all the other issues.

I saw absolutely no reason whatsoever to get the old STI over the old WRX except for a 6 speed gearbox, but the new STI is a cut above the WRX in terms of pure hardcore driving. Its definitely not for everyone and that's the point. Subaru has done a great job of differentiating the STI from the WRX.   And really wasn't that the entire point of the these rally inspired AWD rockets?  Hardcore AWD sedans designed to thrill and excite more than coddle.

68_427

People underestimate the dccd, brakes, it is a different transmission between the too, different steering I believe, and a whole bunch else.

If I had the means I would no doubt go for the STi over the WRX.  The EJ sounds amazing with elh while the fa just doesn't.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Not sure what you mean by endless reliability issues.  The cricket noise seems to be a noise only issue. I haven't heard of any malfunctions related to it.  CEL's seem pretty rare too :huh:

The FA is a much better design.  Direct injection is the big game changer and the EJ was plagued with head gasket issues.  I'll take the FA.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on March 09, 2014, 09:46:16 PM
I'm far from being a big subaru fan boy, but if I had to go to only one vehicle for whatever reason, it's hard to not go with the new wrx. Golf R that's coming out would be tempting, but that'll be another $7k more.

I couldn't live with the ugly

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

toss the wing and I'd rock one in a heartbeat.

Hatch would be better though
Will

12,000 RPM

They need an FA25 for both the FRBRGTZ86 and the WRX/STi.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 01, 2014, 04:57:26 PM
They need an FA25 for both the FRBRGTZ86 and the WRX/STi.

Hey, you're back!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

68_427

These potato camera pics make it look really good.

'racecar is die'
no

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 06, 2014, 05:50:06 AM
Didn't you not post for the last couple months?
I dont know what youre talking about

12,000 RPM

A couple of weeks isn't that long. I didn't see anything worth responding to. I am staying out of General Talk though

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 07, 2014, 05:37:24 AM
A couple of weeks isn't that long.

Can't you just accept that I missed you? You missed so much. I'm a minister now.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

You should wear one of these shirts around to make it more official.

Laconian

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 07, 2014, 11:06:16 AM
You should wear one of these shirts around to make it more official.

Wrong religion.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 07, 2014, 10:49:33 AM
Can't you just accept that I missed you? You missed so much. I'm a minister now.
Lol. Did I really though? What's this I'm hearing about law school?

NomisR

Isn't it still 2.0 vs 2.5L though?  There's no replacement for displacement, the STi still has higher potential though. 

68_427

If you plan on modding the 2.0l is a much better platform.  It's much more robust.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on April 07, 2014, 04:02:16 PM
If you plan on modding the 2.0l is a much better platform.  It's much more robust.
I dont know about that. 2.0L was built to cost and for efficiency. 2.5L is battle tested. Still though, they should make a 2.5L version of the 2.0L. Or put DI in the new 2.5 and make that the performance base motor for the BRZ and WRX.

MrH

Battle tested and proved not to be a very reliable base.

BRZs are taking tons more boost easily. Don't have the head gasket issue, direct injection, and stronger internals.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 07, 2014, 02:34:59 PM
Lol. Did I really though? What's this I'm hearing about law school?

Yes. In three years I will be the Good Reverend Raza, ESQ.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MrH on April 07, 2014, 06:22:10 PM
Battle tested and proved not to be a very reliable base.

BRZs are taking tons more boost easily. Don't have the head gasket issue, direct injection, and stronger internals.

I thought headgaskets were an issue with the old 2.0?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

This thread comes full circle. So the consensus is that FA>EJ (unsurprisingly), but the STI also has its trick diff, a better gearbox, and most importantly, a hydraulic steering rack. Also, it has Brembos. Mmmmm

2004 S2000
2016 340xi