How to Sell the Great New Mazda3?

Started by Atomic, March 19, 2014, 07:37:46 AM

MrH

Everyone is doing it.  Mercedes is big on it these days too.  It's the flavor of the week in dash design, but I have no idea why.  I think it looks pretty tacky too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

Quote from: Onslaught on March 24, 2014, 04:39:42 AM
1. It cost more.
2. You can only get an auto with the larger engine. For now anyway.
3. Diesle version not out yet.

With all that said I'm still surprised that it's not selling as well as the last one. That thing was ugly as shit and had one of the worst interiors I've ever seen Mazda put out.
Mazda's Mexico plant is up and running so that will help them. And as it's been pointed out the car hasn't got to sell like a Toyota or Honda, it's just got to make them money.
But the 3 is Mazda's most important car, so they better make sure it's profitable or Mazda's fucked up the ass without lube.

Yeah, so there's no way that moved the needle.

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on March 27, 2014, 08:02:32 AM
Everyone is doing it.  Mercedes is big on it these days too.  It's the flavor of the week in dash design, but I have no idea why.  I think it looks pretty tacky too.

I think it's so the rest of the dashboard doesn't have to be designed around the screen, not because people think the screen looks good just perched there.

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on March 27, 2014, 10:15:41 AM
I think it's so the rest of the dashboard doesn't have to be designed around the screen, not because people think the screen looks good just perched there.

Oh, that's it.  I never saw a picture of any of these vehicles without the navigation screen.  I just looked up the Mazda3's.  Yep, they stick a cheap, smaller radio in it's place if you don't get the navigation screen.

Both the Mazda3 and the Mercedes products using this tablet screen style navigation screen have a cast skin instrument panel (basically, polyurethane "dust" is mixed against a hot tool in the shape of the dashboard.  When the particles hit the tool, they melt and form the shape desired).  The cost for a full car width, cast urethane tool is hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Also, there are less tool changes then if you're just producing the same main instrument panel for all variants.  Tool changes on cast skin systems is not an easy process.  I can see why they do it, but man, it really kills the styling.  Not worth it to save <$1m IMO.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

I think it can look really nifty when it's not jutting out of the dash, or when it's saddled with a good-quality looking screen. The Citroen C4 Cactus would look awkward with a more integrated IP or gauge pod. They'd have to go back to the drawing board.

The Mazda 3 looks like crap with the garmin on the dash. It's too high, and makes no pretense to being integrated to the dash. I also don't think that everything needs to be integrated with the dash to look good, this isn't 1996.

I feel like the process MrH described can be used on more variants with a few more visual tricks to make the Infotaimnent screen more integrated.

ifcar

I don't know if it's even about manufacturing cheapness so much as design flexibility. That is to say, they can do a lot more with the dashboard shape if there isn't a screen stuck in the middle of it. It's more constraining.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Raza  on March 19, 2014, 09:24:58 AM
Here's an issue I have with the new Mazda3.  The Mazda3s, with the higher horsepower engine, comes only in automatic.  Really?  And it's not cheap.  23-25K starting based on trim.

I just saw an ad on tv from a Ford dealer where they have Fusions for $19k.  For a daily driver I think I would take the bigger and cheaper car. 

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on March 27, 2014, 05:42:33 PM
I don't know if it's even about manufacturing cheapness so much as design flexibility. That is to say, they can do a lot more with the dashboard shape if there isn't a screen stuck in the middle of it. It's more constraining.

Not necessarily.

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on March 27, 2014, 08:02:32 AM

The CLA is equally disgusting beyond belief with its dumbass screen
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Catman

Byteme

Maybe, just maybe the public is catching on to Mazda goodness.  In March Mazda sales advanced 9% as the company sold just about 1,800 fewer cars than Volkswagon.  Of course VWs aren't exactly flying out the dealership doors though.   Still, it's progress.

ifcar

Quote from: CLKid on April 01, 2014, 03:59:58 PM
Maybe, just maybe the public is catching on to Mazda goodness.  In March Mazda sales advanced 9% as the company sold just about 1,800 fewer cars than Volkswagon.  Of course VWs aren't exactly flying out the dealership doors though.   Still, it's progress.

Main gains were from the CX-5 (understandably) and the Mazda2 (which sporadically has good months but almost never rallies). Mazda3 and Mazda6 just held steady, though the 3 sales are still decent considering the price.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CLKid on April 01, 2014, 03:59:58 PM
Sales of the Jetta n Passat increased significantly (I want to say doubled) when they replaced the artisinal kraut with KMart.... so if Mazda is moving that kind of metal they gotta be doing pretty well

I think somehow Mazda would do better to chase profitability over outright volume though. Definitely a lot of fanbois who have bought into the dream that the 3 transcends its economy car roots. It's pretty and its a dynamic beast... for a FWD economy car. But thats too big of an asterisk to discount IMO.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

If they focused on profitability then the cars would be less interesting. The Mazda3 would be just a Corolla if they allowed the bean counters have at it. Instead we have light chassis made of $ high strength steel, 13:1 compression ratios on 87 octane, heads up displays because LOL why not... Too many companies are in business to play it safe and make profit. Let's not wish away the few remaining manufacturers that demonstrate some passion and a willingness to take risks.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

The Mazda 3 is all about profitability....

The platform is a cut down Mazda 6 that can't really be optimized for a car this small. The sedan and hatch share the same doors to keep costs down - but makes the design look awkward from certain angles.

There's not much of a risk being taken here; at least no more than other companies. It's a nice car, don't get me wrong, but I don't understand the hype behind it.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 05, 2014, 06:08:41 AM
Sales of the Jetta n Passat increased significantly (I want to say doubled) when they replaced the artisinal kraut with KMart.... so if Mazda is moving that kind of metal they gotta be doing pretty well

I think somehow Mazda would do better to chase profitability over outright volume though. Definitely a lot of fanbois who have bought into the dream that the 3 transcends its economy car roots. It's pretty and its a dynamic beast... for a FWD economy car. But thats too big of an asterisk to discount IMO.

IIRC, Jetta and Passat sales are in the tanker right now and have been declining for about a year or so.

ifcar

Quote from: Xer0 on April 05, 2014, 10:56:51 PM
IIRC, Jetta and Passat sales are in the tanker right now and have been declining for about a year or so.

Sales are high, just not continually increasing. Passat sales are holding roughly steady at 10k per month, which is an improvement of about 9,500 per month over the last generation. They're not so new anymore, but a car's sales slipping as it ages doesn't mean that it wasn't done right at the start.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: ifcar on April 05, 2014, 11:39:15 PM
Sales are high, just not continually increasing. Passat sales are holding roughly steady at 10k per month, which is an improvement of about 9,500 per month over the last generation. They're not so new anymore, but a car's sales slipping as it ages doesn't mean that it wasn't done right at the start.

Yep

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/volkswagen-passat-sales-figures.html

I was wrong, Jetta doubled, Passat sales increased tenfold from the low point. Damn shame as the B6 is the best of the breed, outside of the carbon build up thing.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

Quote from: ifcar on April 05, 2014, 11:39:15 PM

Oh.  I recall reading somewhere that VW sales were down a decent amount and that was due to lowered Jetta and Passat demand. 

Still, I don't think Mazda doing the VW is smart for them.  Hell, even VW is adding things back into their cars that they originally took out for price.

ifcar

Quote from: Xer0 on April 07, 2014, 04:55:07 PM
Oh.  I recall reading somewhere that VW sales were down a decent amount and that was due to lowered Jetta and Passat demand. 

They're down a bit after jumping a lot to reach a peak, which makes sense as the Jetta and Passat age.