Ford owns about 50% of the police vehicle market.

Started by Byteme, March 23, 2014, 08:59:04 PM

Catman

Intrestingly, the Chevrolet rep at IACP conference told me the 2WD Tahoe is about the same price as a Caprice.  Not sure on the fuel mileage difference.

Northlands

Local police seem to be driving the Taurus. Once the culling began for the Crown Vic ( still tons in service right now ), Chargers began to show up, but it's quickly looking like whomever decided on what cars to use clearly favors the Taurus. I'm a bit confused since they don't seem to be as large as the other choices.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

SVT32V

Although an awd charger will cut into it, I could see the awd of the taurus being a big advantage to PDs in those cold weather areas that get frozen precipitation.

Catman

Quote from: Northlands on March 30, 2014, 12:38:32 PM
Local police seem to be driving the Taurus. Once the culling began for the Crown Vic ( still tons in service right now ), Chargers began to show up, but it's quickly looking like whomever decided on what cars to use clearly favors the Taurus. I'm a bit confused since they don't seem to be as large as the other choices.

A couple things.

• Relationship with dealer
  • Familiarity with manufacturer
  • Interchangeable parts with Explorer

sparkplug

The Crown car is kind of iconic. Anytime you saw one you slowed down.. later on sometimes to see granny driving it. Ford build good cars. But the Crown will be hard to replace for the same reason the Lincoln Town Car will be hard to replace in the limo business. The abundance of parts make them cheap to own and pretty reliable. So what if it had an inefficient v8 engine. Police need reliabitlity. If auto manufacturers want to succeed they need to build something that would be a great fleet car something that would serve police, taxis, and other service industries.It would have to be good, reliable, and cheap. It doesn't have to be fast.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

FoMoJo

Quote from: sparkplug on March 30, 2014, 01:30:26 PM
The Crown car is kind of iconic. Anytime you saw one you slowed down.. later on sometimes to see granny driving it. Ford build good cars. But the Crown will be hard to replace for the same reason the Lincoln Town Car will be hard to replace in the limo business. The abundance of parts make them cheap to own and pretty reliable. So what if it had an inefficient v8 engine. Police need reliabitlity. If auto manufacturers want to succeed they need to build something that would be a great fleet car something that would serve police, taxis, and other service industries.It would have to be good, reliable, and cheap. It doesn't have to be fast.

Yet, still there are a lot of after-market parts...if you do want to go fast. ;)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

bing_oh

Quote from: Catman on March 30, 2014, 01:06:19 PMA couple things.

• Relationship with dealer
  • Familiarity with manufacturer
  • Interchangeable parts with Explorer

I think the second one is probably the biggest factor. Administrators become brand-centric when it comes to cruisers, especially when you've had them for a long time. There are alot of admins out there who are just "Ford guys" and go with the Taurus because of that. It's not a particularly good reason to buy a product, but it happens more often that people think.

bing_oh

Quote from: Catman on March 30, 2014, 11:31:56 AMIntrestingly, the Chevrolet rep at IACP conference told me the 2WD Tahoe is about the same price as a Caprice.  Not sure on the fuel mileage difference.

I think the pursuit-rated 4x4 Tahoe is probably the most interesting new vehicle this year. 4x4 and pursuit-rating are two things that car manufacturers have not had alot of success combining, even though many departments would love to have it. I think the only pursuit-rated pure 4x4 before this was the original Hummer.

Catman

Quote from: bing_oh on March 30, 2014, 09:20:31 PM
I think the pursuit-rated 4x4 Tahoe is probably the most interesting new vehicle this year. 4x4 and pursuit-rating are two things that car manufacturers have not had alot of success combining, even though many departments would love to have it. I think the only pursuit-rated pure 4x4 before this was the original Hummer.

I don't think its likely that GM will get the price down to Explorer levels, but even if they do, the increased fuel cost would probably be prohibitive as far as moving a whole fleet over. 

SVT32V

If I had to drive fast, I would rather it be the awd explorer V6TT than the tahoe porker. Riding over curbs, the tahoe wins, but if it is pursuit rated it must be lower than civilian models.

If one was making a decision about the caprice, charger, taurus, one might be concerned that the caprice will not be around for all that long and not worth the switch over. The charger has been around for almost ten years and the tarus/explorer are not going anywhere.
With the closing of holden, is there much guarantee that the caprice and its parts will even be around in 3-5 yrs?

bing_oh

Quote from: Catman on March 31, 2014, 04:54:25 AMI don't think its likely that GM will get the price down to Explorer levels, but even if they do, the increased fuel cost would probably be prohibitive as far as moving a whole fleet over.

I'm sure. But it does open up some options for certain parts of a fleet where the 4x4 and larger cargo capacity are needed. I can see parts of fleet being switched over to the Tahoe, especially in more rugged areas of places with regular snowfall/poor snow clearing.

Catman

Watch the video at the link and you can see what the preferred unit is around here.  Exciting day.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/car-sought-after-shots-fired-in-newton/25249612#!CbynX

hotrodalex

bing_oh

Quote from: Catman on March 31, 2014, 06:21:05 PMWatch the video at the link and you can see what the preferred unit is around here.  Exciting day.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/car-sought-after-shots-fired-in-newton/25249612#!CbynX

Looks like you're in Ford Explorer county, Greg. :lol:

Catman

Not sure what this guys plan was. Will find out today.

Catman

Starting to see engine woes with our Caprices. Two of them have been burning lots of oil for a while. They just rebuilt one of them and found the rings were bad. Now we have a third one with the same thing. Lowell PD brought one of theirs in with a bad cam shaft after less than 10k on the odometer.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: Catman on April 01, 2014, 11:49:18 AM
Starting to see engine woes with our Caprices. Two of them have been burning lots of oil for a while. They just rebuilt one of them and found the rings were bad. Now we have a third one with the same thing. Lowell PD brought one of theirs in with a bad cam shaft after less than 10k on the odometer.
Piston slap? ;)

Catman

He stole like 4 cars, even a Prius which got stuck in the mud and was shot full of holes by a neighboring PD. He also tried to steal an Audi but the woman wouldn't open the door.