Corvette project car

Started by 280Z Turbo, April 18, 2014, 09:19:25 PM

280Z Turbo

I need a new rear gear. The poor little 327 gets so overwhelmed turning a Miataesque 4000 rpm on the highway.

280Z Turbo

My dad seems to lean towards a white top and I'm leaning towards black. Ultimately, it's my decision. :lol: White is more correct, but with an incorrect interior and paint color, who even gives a shit anymore?

Also, trying to decide between the Al Knoch top from Corvette Central for $259 or an Acme Auto top from Rock Auto for $150. Seems like the cheaper top could be a piece of shit, but I can't find any information on it.

Rupert

I'm sure it's a piece of shit. That's way super cheap.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Here is the lower control arm mount on the frame. Notice the kink in the back. I think the whole frame may be trash which is why I'm looking into modding a C3 frame to fit the 63 body.

Springs look shot. One side had a shim in the coil. It seemed to ride too high, so I don't even know if these are correct.

280Z Turbo

Weird. My images show up in Safari and IE but not Chrome.

Somebody broke the internets.

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 23, 2014, 10:48:14 PM
Weird. My images show up in Safari and IE but not Chrome.

Somebody broke the internets.

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. Turns out I had blocked a specific image (FBC's stupid animated sig) in AdBlock, and that blocked all the images on the forum.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rupert on September 23, 2014, 10:51:40 PM
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. Turns out I had blocked a specific image (FBC's stupid animated sig) in AdBlock, and that blocked all the images on the forum.

Ah! That's it.

FBC is a fucking asshole for that Batman sig.

Rupert

hotrodalex

Are those progressive or just old?

280Z Turbo

280Z Turbo

Going to pick up the shop crane and engine stand tomorrow.

I assumed that SBC pushrods would be one length and and one diameter, but apparently this is not the case. If the pushrods are not bent, can I reuse them?

Also, it seems that full roller rockers would require me to ditch the cool die cast Corvette valve covers, so that's out of the question. I'm going to go with roller tip rockers.

Soup DeVille

Yeah, lots of variations in head and rocker design over the years, so lots of different length pushrods.

I know an old school solution to valve cover clearance issues was a spacer block that just raised the valve covers; but those had the issue of creating yet another set of gaskets to leak.

But, the roller tipped rockers will be fine for what you're building.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

280Z Turbo

Just pulled off the valve covers and confirmed that it has double hump heads. Casting no 3782461

Still sounds like those heads aren't worth rebuilding. Might as well buy the Summit heads with larger valves.

I really don't think aluminum heads are worth the extra $300 over the cast iron ones.

GoCougs

Yes, pushrods can be reused if not worn/bent.

Thing is some roller tip rockers require screw-in studs and guide plates, which will be a PITA if not already present.

I totally think AL heads would be worth $300 all else being the same.

280Z Turbo

This is the look I'm going for:

Eye of the Tiger

A Corvette needs fuel injekshin.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 26, 2014, 08:30:36 PM
A Corvette needs fuel injekshin.

It's $15,000 for a Rochester fuel injection setup. Cool vintage tech, but totally not worth it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 26, 2014, 08:37:49 PM
It's $15,000 for a Rochester fuel injection setup. Cool vintage tech, but totally not worth it.

Mega squirt a TBI?

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

GoCougs

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 26, 2014, 08:14:53 PM
This is the look I'm going for:

Looks awesome.

Spent last weekend with a friend at a WSU football game. He's 98% done restoring a '65 Mustang. Got me thinking...

280Z Turbo

Considering these heads:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-5089/overview/

Also, what kind of pistons? Cast, hypereutectic, or forged?

GoCougs

So what is the entire plan? Having done this before I'd recommend you go with a good speed/machine shop. Tell them the kind of performance you want and they'll be able to choose the right stuff.

Those heads are good but note they can't be used with a roller cam (IMO THE most important upgrade that can be done to an old-school engine outside of fuel injection).

280Z Turbo

Not doing a roller cam. Too expensive. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I still may still rebuild the stock heads. No matter how I add things up, it's always cheaper to rebuild the stock heads.

GoCougs

Like a lot of things in life the more you spend the diminished the return. You can spend $20k on a fuelie LSX 454 and it'd be a hoot, but it's not gonna be 20x more fun than a $1k bare bones budget DIY rebuild.

I think if you just went bare bones - had a local shop rebuild same block, rebuild same heads, cast pistons, mild cam, 9:1 CR, and put it all together - you'd be happy as a clam.

The sweet spot though is probably buying a long block 350 from a local machine/engine/speed shop. Ebay has tons of 300 hp 350 motors for $1,500 - $2,000. Not sure I would buy off eBay but there will surely be machine shops in your area that will have similar deals.

280Z Turbo

This particular motor was rated at 275 hp @ 4800 rpm. Even in net hp, it should still be around 220 hp. It doesn't feel like that at all.

Between the new cam and restored compression, it should be a lot better.

GoCougs

Easy to find out. Just do a compression check. If it looks good (~140 psi min probably on that motor) then it's more than likely a flat cam. Just get a hold of a dial indicator and measure lift on each valve. A cam swap is cheap and relatively easy.

280Z Turbo

Nah, the rings are fucked. It has bad blowby.