Used Car Title Question... Scam?

Started by TurboDan, April 27, 2014, 12:52:49 PM

TurboDan

Hey Guys - I have a question to throw out there. Basically, just trying to see if there is any scam behind some recent events.

My girlfriend's father died recently and her mother is selling his used car. She put up a Craigslist ad a couple weeks ago, and a group of three guys (claiming to be used car dealers) from the other side of the state (from a very high crime city) came with cash and bought it literally the same night. The title was in a safe deposit box, so they gave her the cash and took the car, and she got the title the next day and sent it to them.

Now, she's getting phone calls every day from these guys, claiming they never got the title and she needs to send it to them. She didn't track the title or send it registered mail, so she doesn't know if they're telling the truth or not. She's now thinking of going to the DMV and getting a duplicate title tomorrow to send to them.

Is this a scam of some sort? I've heard of title loan scams, but that's usually a dealer who will get duplicates and screw over the next owner. I haven't heard of this type of scam coming back on an original owner, but then again I'm not very familiar with shady used car sales tactics.

Would it be safe for her to get a duplicate title and send it to them? Just wondering if there's any risk involved...

Rupert

Well, she screwed up by selling the car without the title, and then not tracking the very valuable title when she sent it. Was there a bill of sale? What does the DMV think? Did she report to the state that the car was sold (you have to release the title in ID).

If there was a bill of sale and a release of liability for the title, then my guess is it would be safe for her to get a duplicate title to send to these guys (thought they might still have a scam going); however, if there was a bill of sale and a release of liability, they are probably the only ones that can get a replacement title.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Maybe they won't report the sale so they can skip taxes???

I can't think of any other way they would be benefitting- they were too anxious to wait for the title in person??

FWIW, the state of SC sends titles out by regular first-class mail, you have to pay an extra $25 or something for them to print it for you while you're still there at the office.
Will

ifcar

It could be as simple as they have a buyer for the car and want to get the sale completed as soon as possible.

Raza

The lesson learned here is to never send anything important without a tracking number. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  on May 01, 2014, 12:07:19 PM
The lesson learned here is to never send anything important without a tracking number.

If its going USPS, even that's not worth anything most of the time as USPS messes up a ton.