The trials and tribulations of Xer0's Civic Si ownership

Started by Xer0, May 01, 2014, 12:11:04 PM

Char

The BRZ/FRS twins and 128i are the cars to beat in STX, so I'm not surprised you're having a tough time. I' skipping the class all together, my car just can't compete in my current trim, so it isn't worth it.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Xer0

Okay, question.  So I'm currently left with 7 rim/tire combinations, 4 summers that are currently on the car and 3 all seasons that aren't.  My original plan was just to buy a replacement rim for the busted one as a winter set, but, no one sells this rim anymore as far as I can tell.  In lieu of this, I figured I'd buy two new rims shod with winter tires for the fronts and use the all seasons for the rear.  Since the front wheels do everything in my little rice rocket, I'm assuming it's okay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MX793

Putting snows only on the fronts (putting significantly grippier tires on the front than the rear in general) will result in a tailhappy car.  Having known people who have run that sort of tire combination and spun into the ditch, I probably wouldn't recommend it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

You can't find a wheel one off?  That's usually not that tough :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

RomanChariot

Tire manufacturers recommend putting the best tires on the back, even for FWD cars for the reason MX793 mentioned. It is safer to have the car understeer than oversteer.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 30, 2016, 12:19:34 PM
Tire manufacturers recommend putting the best tires on the back, even for FWD cars for the reason MX793 mentioned. It is safer to have the car understeer than oversteer.

Fuck that.
Will never.
Evrr
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

Raza

The best solution would be to put one snow tire on the front and one snow tire on the opposite wheel at the back.  So if you have one front right, then put the other back left.  All seasons in the other two positions.  You'll be fine. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

You should buy the extra wheels and snow tires I still have in the garage from my miata days :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 30, 2016, 02:50:16 PM
The best solution would be to put one snow tire on the front and one snow tire on the opposite wheel at the back.  So if you have one front right, then put the other back left.  All seasons in the other two positions.  You'll be fine. 

Very logicfail.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Xer0

Quote from: MX793 on September 30, 2016, 11:42:45 AM
Putting snows only on the fronts (putting significantly grippier tires on the front than the rear in general) will result in a tailhappy car.  Having known people who have run that sort of tire combination and spun into the ditch, I probably wouldn't recommend it.

It's funny, I've been trying to combat this cars annoying understeer forever and here is the solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AutobahnSHO

:rockon:   Optimal driving peace of mind
Will

MX793

That's kind of like how early, 2-channel ABS worked.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

No.

Snow tire on left front, rain tire on right front, summer or r-compound on left rear, mountain rated off road tire on right rear.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 03, 2016, 03:47:40 PM
No.

Snow tire on left front, rain tire on right front, summer or r-compound on left rear, mountain rated off road tire on right rear.

Sounds a little like the Tercel my wife had when we got married. Three different brands of tires in 2 different sizes.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: RomanChariot on October 03, 2016, 04:21:46 PM
Sounds a little like the Tercel my wife had when we got married. Three different brands of tires in 2 different sizes.
No traction control, no ABS, no problem  :thumbsup:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

RomanChariot

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 03, 2016, 07:20:46 PM
No traction control, no ABS, no problem  :thumbsup:

No power windows or power steering. That car didn't even have a radio when she bought it. It did have AC though.

Xer0

Okay, so winter update.  I just bought two separate rims in the same size/width and put the same type of all seasons on them as there were on my spare set.  So far, no issues at all and going from summers to all seasons really highlighted how much of a difference tires made.  Anyway, car looks ghetto AF but it's only going to be like this until March so not a big deal.

The other thing running through my head is current upgrade plan.  Originally, I had wanted to get rid of the Civic by early next year and upgrade into something nicer like a 2 series.  But, everything I've read points to a 2GC coming out sometime in 2019 and I would vastly prefer 4 to 2 doors.  So that gives me another year, at least, with the Civic.  That means upgrades are back on the table.  Right now what I'm thinking is what I've always been thinking:

Full Racing 3" Downpipe and Exhaust
22mm RSB
Rear engine mount

With install, that's about $2k.  I'll keep all the old parts around and reinstall when it's time to sell the Civic.  This will at least make it more lively until I finally do get rid of it.

12,000 RPM

Choose exhaust carefully.... Civic gets loud fast

Sounds like a solid plan though
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs