You just taken over a car company, what would you change?

Started by Mustangfan2003, May 02, 2014, 10:36:50 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 04, 2014, 11:53:37 AM
Lincoln... make all the sedans "coupey hatchbacks" and go back to names instead of letters. No need for a RWD flagship nobody will buy, they have to make money and sell cars. They could gamble on a Mustang based Mark IX coupe, but they shouldn't stake the brand on it

4 door coupes? That would be cool.

And no awkward retro styling.

A good FWD/AWD platform like Audi would be good. Make modern classy cars that have good performance but aren't completely focused on that. Basically what Acura should be doing as well.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 04, 2014, 01:21:38 PM

A good FWD/AWD platform like Audi would be good. Make modern classy cars that have good performance but aren't completely focused on that. Basically what Acura should be doing as well.

Ford has some decent FWD/AWD platforms already. I think the MKZ could have been executed a lot better. I'm still struck by its looks on the rare occasion I see one on the street.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 04, 2014, 01:21:38 PM

So, like Buick. (Sort of)

12,000 RPM

Buick's strategy works, but they are low on style.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

I think Buick is headed in a good direction just need to work out some kinks. Some of their models look good, some look a bit frumpy.

CALL_911

I was skeptical about a "cooler" Buick a few years ago, but their newer stuff isn't bad

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 04, 2014, 07:10:22 PM
Buick's strategy works, but they are low on style.

I think they're just right for their target clientele. Both China and the US have similar tastes in regards to a luxury car....too flashy and people won't buy it. Too bland, and people won't touch it either.

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 04, 2014, 08:30:36 PM
I think Buick is headed in a good direction just need to work out some kinks. Some of their models look good, some look a bit frumpy.

I think the frumpier models are old anyways, and are due for a replacement.

Morris Minor

Toyota:

1) Kill the Scion brand & all its models except the GT86
2) Kill the Tacoma start selling the HiLux
3) Either kill the Avalon or bring back the slushomatic suspension preferred by its target audience
4) Put illuminated signs on the pedals of all models ("Brake" - the one on the left. "Accelerator" - the one on the right)
5) Fix the web site & have a proper build your own option that is not just a rename of "search local inventory"
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Mustangfan2003

Some good points on Toyota.  I think the Scion brand is a bit pointless.  Other car companies have built cars targeted to a youth audience without having to build a new brand.  The Tacoma is too big and it isn't much more cheaper or efficient than a Tundra.  As big as the Camry has gotten you don't really need the Avalon anymore. 

Raza

I'll pick Volkswagen. 

1. Bring the Bluesport Roadster to production.  Base model with 1.4L turbodiesel and a GTI version with a 2.0T.

2. Slot a car under the Jetta.  A new Polo or Lupo should fill that gap nicely, or possibly rebadge a SEAT or Skoda for the US market.  They're just handing the market to everyone else if you want a small premium car.  Fiat and Mini have this all to themselves, with Ford trying to edge in.  Sell it in hatch, coupe, and sedan versions. 

3. More AWD across the model ranges.  Jetta and Passat are two key cars that should get AWD as it becomes more common in the market.

4. Touareg and Tiguan can remain unchanged.  There's nothing wrong with them the way they are.

5. Redesign and beef up the Eos.  Base it on the Golf 7, with an entry 1.8T, then 2.0T, and an R version with AWD and the boosted Golf R engine--why not compete with the Mustang convertible?  No reason fun in the sun can't be in a good car as well.  The base model should drive better than it currently does. 

6. Bring the Scirocco as a small number halo car.  Possibly R only, to get people into the showrooms.  If that creates enough buzz, bring in the full model line (though doubt it will). 

7. Further differentiate the CC as a sporty alternative to the Passat.  The Passat and Jetta are breadwinners and should stay that way, but the CC can be funky and different.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Why do people think the Fiesta is premium? It's not, inside or out, or even reflected in price.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on May 05, 2014, 10:01:33 AM
Why do people think the Fiesta is premium? It's not, inside or out, or even reflected in price.

I said "edge in" because they sell a performance version.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

BMW of course.

Frankly, if I look at it as a CEO I believe they are doing a very good job, so I cannot give in simply to my enthusiast desires.....

1. Watch closely i3 sales and if they trend well, have a plan to rush an i5 mid-size electric sedan to market to beat Tesla to the punch in that segment.
2. Make sure the MSport or equivalent version of every car in the lineup is the best driving car in it's segment.
3. Bring in a smaller MINI below the current hatch (something along the lines of the Rocketman concept they did). Kill the Paceman and the Coupe after their product cycles are done. Keep the hatch, Countryman, Roadster, Convertible, Clubman (the new 4 door) and the Rocketman.
4. Bring a flagship 9 series to bridge the gap between the 7 and Rolls-Royce as a BMW halo car.
5. Do an ///M version of the i8 losing the hybrid bits and installing a 400hp 4-pot to get a sub-3000 pound super car. With unique styling.
6. Surprise the world and buy Ferrari (without Fiat of course).
7. Lose at least 300 pounds from the next-fen 7&5 series.

Mostly, I'd keep doing what they're doing. They are making boatloads of money.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)