Lebowski's Next Car Thread, and Farewell to the C6

Started by Lebowski, May 14, 2014, 06:38:32 PM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on May 14, 2014, 09:13:35 PM

You're probably right on the 335i not feeling special enough.  I like it, but think I'd think I settled.

I will say this is exactly the reason I got the S4 instead of the A4. I don't really need the ~330 HP, but I knew if I got an A4 I'd be bored with it after a year or two and anxious to get something better. So I figured I'd just plop down for the best version I could get (not RS4 out at the time, my car is a 2010 model). I have not regretted the decision a bit, and even today I really have no desire to get a new car. This is the longest I have owned a car since graduating college, and honestly I don't see myself getting something else any time soon.

I will say that I almost agree with GoCougs. The last gen S4 to my gen S4 went through a similar transition to what is happening to the M3 now. It went from a ~320 HP V8 to a ~330 HP supercharged V6. Efficiency went way up and performance improved as well (wider torque curve with a forced induction engine), yet I cannot help but wish I had a V8 instead. It just feels more special. But for the S4 at least, the new gen was simply too much of an overall upgrade to go backwards just to get the V8. I imagine it is a similar situation with the new M3.

As for the gearbox, I am definitely completely opposite to you. There is no way I would buy a car with a traditional slushy automatic. While I fully understand they are just as (if not more) efficient and they are smoother, I am simply too used to the feel of a gearbox. I prefer manual, but I have driven a few DSG cars and that is one type of automatic I could live with day to day. It still "feels" like a manual when it comes to responsiveness and such. Of course the DSG is faster and smoother than I can shift myself (plus it never misses a shift), so there have been a few times I have actually wished I had the DSG...but if push comes to shove I would almost certainly go with a manual again.

MrH

240 miles or so?  When you've got a second car, that seems fine to me :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

I think most of us can agree we wish it had a v8. Reality and what we wish for aren't always the same.  Don't think I want a "new" car that is that old (e90 sedan discontinued after 2011, introduced in like '07). The new one is faster, lighter, I believe roomier, IMO the interior is better and I like the exterior styling better. I'm sure the tech is better on the newer car.  I can spec out and order a new one exactly like I want vs searching for a used one in perfect condition equipped close enough to my preferences to settle for it.  Just not worth it to me, I'd prefer to buy new.

Lebowski

240 miles ... I don't know. Yes I have the 4runner but would be nice to take the fun car on weekend trips.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on May 15, 2014, 07:19:26 AM
I think most of us can agree we wish it had a v8. Reality and what we wish for aren't always the same.  Don't think I want a "new" car that is that old (e90 sedan discontinued after 2011, introduced in like '07). The new one is faster, lighter, I believe roomier, IMO the interior is better and I like the exterior styling better. I'm sure the tech is better on the newer car.  Just not worth it to me.

I agree. Everytime a new M3 comes out it's the same ritual of moaning that the old one was better in most magazines. Then two years on it is again the "best ever". I wouldn't think twice about getting the new one. Plus if you get it now, you'll have a current model for 7 years.

I agree on test driving the Tesla though. However, the Tesla high end model P85 is quite a bit more expensive IIRC.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

I would imagine the range on the Tesla in Florida with the AC cranked is much less than the 240 miles as quoted.

Anyway... I would need to drive the M3, C63 AMG and this beast
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on May 15, 2014, 06:43:37 AM
240 miles or so?  When you've got a second car, that seems fine to me :huh:
Ah I guess that's good enough for commuting. Still though, seems like Lebowski still enjoys and prioritizes driving for this 2nd vehicle.... which would put the M3 ahead of the Tesla.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Haha, look at the unthusiasts.  M3 or Nissan Leaf?  Nissan Leaf! 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Hey Adam, I think you should get a Prius V.  People who buy those aren't interested in other cars after a test drive.  Many of those who test drive aren't interested in cars at all, even!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 15, 2014, 07:34:42 AM
Ah I guess that's good enough for commuting. Still though, seems like Lebowski still enjoys and prioritizes driving for this 2nd vehicle.... which would put the M3 ahead of the Tesla.

The Tesla is a weird vehicle. It's very much the enthusiast choice oddly. Explosive torque instantly. It's a throttle response that can't be matched by gas powered cars. The handling dynamics are strange and awesome too. It's heavy, but all of the weight is so slow that it stays really flat.

I can understand the want for vroom vroom noises, but it's an interesting enough choice it's worth a test drive to see if you're into it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on May 15, 2014, 08:00:17 AM
The Tesla is a weird vehicle. It's very much the enthusiast choice oddly. Explosive torque instantly. It's a throttle response that can't be matched by gas powered cars. The handling dynamics are strange and awesome too. It's heavy, but all of the weight is so slow that it stays really flat.

I can understand the want for vroom vroom noises, but it's an interesting enough choice it's worth a test drive to see if you're into it.

Lebowski had a Power Wheels as a kid, he doesn't need to try the Tesla.  He already knows what it's like. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on May 15, 2014, 07:59:32 AM
Hey Adam, I think you should get a Prius V.  People who buy those aren't interested in other cars after a test drive. Many of those who test drive aren't interested in cars at all, even!

:lol:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on May 15, 2014, 07:19:26 AM
I think most of us can agree we wish it had a v8. Reality and what we wish for aren't always the same.  Don't think I want a "new" car that is that old (e90 sedan discontinued after 2011, introduced in like '07). The new one is faster, lighter, I believe roomier, IMO the interior is better and I like the exterior styling better. I'm sure the tech is better on the newer car.  I can spec out and order a new one exactly like I want vs searching for a used one in perfect condition equipped close enough to my preferences to settle for it.  Just not worth it to me, I'd prefer to buy new.

I agree 100%.  :ohyeah: At the end of the day the overall package is still superior (and the V8 thing is more emotional than rational anyway).

hotrodalex

If the Tesla was faster than the M3, I'd say go for it. But it's not, so M3 it is.

GoCougs

Tesla? C'mon, guys. Model S sales have dropped big (-12% overall, and -36% in Kalifornia (er, Bay Area/Si Valley and LA)). Lewboski can't afford to be stuck with a $80k-$100k paper weight.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2014, 08:40:19 AM

Tesla? C'mon, guys. Model S sales have dropped big (-12% overall, and -36% in Kalifornia (er, Bay Area/Si Valley and LA)). Lewboski can't afford to be stuck with a $80k-$100k paper weight.

You're trying too hard here.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on May 15, 2014, 08:52:35 AM

You're trying too hard here.

You should have seen the first three revisions...

FlatBlackCaddy

The M3 used will be worth atleast 7-8K more than a similar year and optioned 335i. Your overall cost to own might just be a few thousand dollars difference. Definitely get the M3.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2014, 09:04:59 AM

You should have seen the first three revisions...

Getting to take a swipe at tesla whilst making erroneous speculation about what Lebowski can or can't afford all in one post is a rare treat indeed. I don't blame you for getting excited.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on May 15, 2014, 09:44:21 AM
Getting to take a swipe at tesla whilst making erroneous speculation about what Lebowski can or can't afford all in one post is a rare treat indeed. I don't blame you for getting excited.

Don't make this easier than it has to be.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Damn I was hoping you'd grab a C7! But I would go with the M3 over the 335i.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

The Chevy Ss is getting a manual and magnetic ride next year.  You could grab one for $50k fully loaded no problem.

Just a wild card.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on May 15, 2014, 10:34:36 AM
The Chevy Ss is getting a manual and magnetic ride next year.  You could grab one for $50k fully loaded no problem.

Just a wild card.

Isn't that a full size car?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on May 15, 2014, 10:34:36 AM

Just a wild card.

Or wait a few months and grab a lightly used one for 25K.

Raza

Hmm, it's slightly smaller than I thought.  Only 195.5" long.  That's only 2" longer than the current (enormous) 5 series.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Doesn't necessarily look like it (at least IMO) but get close to it and the Chevy SS is a large car, no bones about it.

Lebowski

At the risk of sounding like a snob, aside from the corvette and maaaaybe the Tahoe/Yukon/suburban (though this newest gen I don't love) there really hasn't been m a GM product, and I dare say won't be anytime in the future, that I could ever see myself buying.  SS looks ok but I wouldn't buy it, and not just because of size.