Chevy Caprice

Started by Morris Minor, May 16, 2014, 08:56:07 AM

bing_oh

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 02, 2014, 10:31:27 AMSo the bad guys aim for the chest instead of the head?

Bad guys know we wear vests. That may have once been an argument for concealed vests, but not anymore.

dazzleman

bing_oh, what vehicle would you choose to drive as a police car if it were up to you?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on July 03, 2014, 04:08:21 PMbing_oh, what vehicle would you choose to drive as a police car if it were up to you?

The new Explorers are probably the best all around option at this point. They don't have the "cop car look" or the performance of the Charger, but the additional storage space and that they're easy to get in and out of appeals to an old cop like me. The AWD is pretty nice, too. The only one I'd hate to drive at this point is the Taurus...they're just too damn small.

hotrodalex

Are there any cars out there that you think would make better police cars if sold as such?

bing_oh

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 03, 2014, 10:22:56 PMAre there any cars out there that you think would make better police cars if sold as such?

Probably not. I thought the idea of a dedicated police vehicle, designed and manufactured as such, was great (ie, the Carbon Motors plan). But I understand it's simply not economically viable. No major auto manufacturer is going to design and build a LE-only vehicle at a price that is going to sell. And, any small startup is destined to go the way of Carbon Motors as the profit margin is too small and the logistics of warranty work and repairs is too complex. As it stands, any civilian vehicle adapted for LE use is going to be a compromise.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 03, 2014, 10:22:56 PM
Are there any cars out there that you think would make better police cars if sold as such?

http://www.jankel.com/jeep-j8-utility

Yes, but you have to go to South Africa to buy them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 03, 2014, 11:10:25 PMhttp://www.jankel.com/jeep-j8-utility

Yes, but you have to go to South Africa to buy them.

Why would that make a good LE vehicle? It's a militarized Jeep on a Wrangler platform.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on July 04, 2014, 08:10:23 AM
Why would that make a good LE vehicle? It's a militarized Jeep on a Wrangler platform.

You're taking me too seriously again...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 04, 2014, 08:17:23 AMYou're taking me too seriously again...

We've got smiley's for a reason, damnit! :rage:

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on July 04, 2014, 01:14:14 PM

If I drove out to your county in Ohio and you caught me speeding, would you give me a ticket?  :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on July 04, 2014, 01:14:14 PM

Well, then you wouldn't even have clicked on the link.

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on July 04, 2014, 01:24:29 PMIf I drove out to your county in Ohio and you caught me speeding, would you give me a ticket?  :evildude:

Hell yes! You think you'd get special treatment because of your advanced age or something? Your AARP card wouldn't get you out of a juicy citation with me, grandpa! :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on July 04, 2014, 09:12:39 PM
Hell yes! You think you'd get special treatment because of your advanced age or something? Your AARP card wouldn't get you out of a juicy citation with me, grandpa! :lol:

What the fuck!  I'm not even in AARP!  I thought you might give me buddy treatment. :devil:  I'm going to come out there and drive all over at 90-100 mph until you try to stop me.  Then I'm going to ditch you and outrun your crappy squad cars... :evildude:

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on July 05, 2014, 05:00:35 AMWhat the fuck!  I'm not even in AARP!  I thought you might give me buddy treatment. :devil:  I'm going to come out there and drive all over at 90-100 mph until you try to stop me.  Then I'm going to ditch you and outrun your crappy squad cars... :evildude:

I didn't say I'd drag ya out of the car and beat ya... :huh: What more special treatment do you want?

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on July 05, 2014, 06:56:12 AM
I didn't say I'd drag ya out of the car and beat ya... :huh: What more special treatment do you want?

Is that a back-handed admission that you beat most of the people you pull over?  :evildude:

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on July 05, 2014, 06:59:19 AMIs that a back-handed admission that you beat most of the people you pull over?  :evildude:

Huh? What? I don't know what you're talking about. :huh:

sparkplug

whaaaa.. Taurus too small? That vehicles looks huge.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

MX793

Quote from: sparkplug on July 05, 2014, 09:11:06 PM
whaaaa.. Taurus too small? That vehicles looks huge.

Outside it's huge, but the interior is pretty cramped.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

bing_oh

Quote from: MX793 on July 06, 2014, 07:05:26 AMOutside it's huge, but the interior is pretty cramped.

Very cramped, especially after you put in all the equipment. The biggest problem for me, though, is the doors. I've found them to be very difficult to get in and out of in full uniform.

Catman

Quote from: bing_oh on July 06, 2014, 07:40:51 AM
Very cramped, especially after you put in all the equipment. The biggest problem for me, though, is the doors. I've found them to be very difficult to get in and out of in full uniform.

I have heard that they don't open wide enough.

bing_oh

Quote from: Catman on July 07, 2014, 05:39:12 AMI have heard that they don't open wide enough.

It's height that I have the biggest problem with. I have to contort my neck to the side, practically putting my ear on my shoulder, to get in and out. The smaller guys who drive ours don't have a problem, but us bigger guys just can't get in and out.

68_427

What wuold make you chose the Explorer over say a Tahoe?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

bing_oh

Quote from: 68_427 on July 07, 2014, 01:16:50 PMWhat wuold make you chose the Explorer over say a Tahoe?

Full size SUV's like the Tahoe are big...imho, too big for most day-to-day police work. I see their advantages as special purpose vehicles, as well as the 4x4 advantages in things like snow, but those aren't necessary all the time.

68_427

Was just wondering given how inefficient the interior space of the Fords seem to be relative to their outside dimensions.  I'm not sure exactly but I feel the Explorer and Tahoe are damn near the same size, but the Tahoe probably much more spacious feeling inside.
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on July 07, 2014, 03:14:27 PM
Was just wondering given how inefficient the interior space of the Fords seem to be relative to their outside dimensions.  I'm not sure exactly but I feel the Explorer and Tahoe are damn near the same size, but the Tahoe probably much more spacious feeling inside.

Tahoe is like half a foot longer and several inches talls, though that may be due to differences in ride height (and IIRC, Police Package Tahoes are lowered).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

bing_oh

Quote from: 68_427 on July 07, 2014, 03:14:27 PMWas just wondering given how inefficient the interior space of the Fords seem to be relative to their outside dimensions.  I'm not sure exactly but I feel the Explorer and Tahoe are damn near the same size, but the Tahoe probably much more spacious feeling inside.

The Tahoe is slightly larger (longer and taller, if the stats for the previous year stand true). It's also an unknown at this point, as the only pursuit-rated 4x4 Tahoe has yet to be released (previous versions of the Tahoe were not pursuit-rated in 4x4, imho eliminating their biggest advantage over something like the AWD Explorer). You also have to consider questions of fuel economy and overall price. A full-size SUV like the Tahoe is virtually guaranteed to have a lower MPG, while having a higher base price, both of which are very important to administrators making the decisions.

Catman

Quote from: bing_oh on July 07, 2014, 03:27:05 PM
The Tahoe is slightly larger (longer and taller, if the stats for the previous year stand true). It's also an unknown at this point, as the only pursuit-rated 4x4 Tahoe has yet to be released (previous versions of the Tahoe were not pursuit-rated in 4x4, imho eliminating their biggest advantage over something like the AWD Explorer). You also have to consider questions of fuel economy and overall price. A full-size SUV like the Tahoe is virtually guaranteed to have a lower MPG, while having a higher base price, both of which are very important to administrators making the decisions.

It's about 1-2 mpg difference.

68_427

What's the opinion on the Durango?
'racecar is die'
no

bing_oh

Quote from: 68_427 on July 07, 2014, 08:52:45 PMWhat's the opinion on the Durango?

They're available in LE versions, but I don't think I've ever seen one. They're not widely advertised to LE and I don't believe they're even available on state bid price in Ohio. For whatever reason, while Dodge has done a great job catering to LE with the Charger, they seem to have done almost nothing to sell the Durango.