MrH's Next Potential Car Discussion

Started by MrH, May 18, 2014, 07:12:07 PM

Rupert

I also don't see the point in having two new reliable cars. I say he should go practical for the second car, but old and weird.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

68_427

Getting rid of the BRZ and Element for the Outback means he'd have a new practical car that's paid off by the time the new Miata comes out.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Or he ends up with just an Outback, a fat wife, two kids, and no fun car.

Northlands

He doesn't need large practical mobile until the wife and kids show up. Have fun now. He'll have plenty of time to drive something larger and practical later on.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Rupert

Quote from: 68_427 on July 08, 2014, 05:16:04 PM
Getting rid of the BRZ and Element for the Outback means he'd have a new practical car that's paid off by the time the new Miata comes out.

So what?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on July 08, 2014, 05:08:04 PM
I also don't see the point in having two new reliable cars. I say he should go practical for the second car, but old and weird.

Isn't the point of the second car to be the long-distance road trip car, though? It would seem that the fun car is the better choice for old and weird in that scenario.

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on July 08, 2014, 06:42:35 PM
Isn't the point of the second car to be the long-distance road trip car, though? It would seem that the fun car is the better choice for old and weird in that scenario.
Ah, see, ifcar nailed it.

My fun car is also my nice car right now. I need to reverse that. I drive the element more than I ever thought I would. An outback is a wildly versatile utility car. Tons of passenger and luggage space, fold the seats down and it can carry everything, pretty luxurious, tons of tech, supposedly rides really nice, best awd out there, good ground clearance, car like seating position, can go off road no problem and roof rack + 2700 lb towing means I'm covered for just about everything moving forward.

This is the type of car I'll drive until the wheels fall off. Competent in every area, and a good daily driver.

I could do anything for a fun second car then. Everything I've heard about the new miata so far is ridiculous (got a few insiders). If everything turns out the way I'm hearing, I'm going to want one. Bad. Only reason I'd sell the brz now is to just reduce the depreciation hit. I could get an outback now in addition to the brz, but I'm guessing values will tank when the miata debuts.

If I get rid of the brz, outback would be paid off in no time. That means zero debt for awhile while waiting for miata.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

I'm pretty sure you can convince yourself that any vehicle is the best for you.

2o6

Lebowski

Selling a car sooner to reduce the depreciation hit?

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 08, 2014, 06:54:29 PM
I'm pretty sure you can convince yourself that any vehicle is the best for you.

Seriously. Just buy what you want to drive and don't try to find a good reason. :lol:

MrH

Lol, true. I don't need to convince myself, I buy what I want. Just trying to give you guys some of my thoughts behind the decisions. In the end, FYA, I do what I want :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

thewalrus

Quote from: MrH on July 08, 2014, 06:53:28 PM
Ah, see, ifcar nailed it.

My fun car is also my nice car right now. I need to reverse that. I drive the element more than I ever thought I would. An outback is a wildly versatile utility car. Tons of passenger and luggage space, fold the seats down and it can carry everything, pretty luxurious, tons of tech, supposedly rides really nice, best awd out there, good ground clearance, car like seating position, can go off road no problem and roof rack + 2700 lb towing means I'm covered for just about everything moving forward.

This is the type of car I'll drive until the wheels fall off. Competent in every area, and a good daily driver.

I could do anything for a fun second car then. Everything I've heard about the new miata so far is ridiculous (got a few insiders). If everything turns out the way I'm hearing, I'm going to want one. Bad. Only reason I'd sell the brz now is to just reduce the depreciation hit. I could get an outback now in addition to the brz, but I'm guessing values will tank when the miata debuts.

If I get rid of the brz, outback would be paid off in no time. That means zero debt for awhile while waiting for miata.

See, this makes a ton of sense to me.  And if you can pull it off, I think it's the best way to go about being a car enthusiast.

Sadly, for me, I've tried and failed a number of times.

First, I bought my 2008 Civic new - cheap, reliable transportation.  Paid off in 4 years, I told myself.  Then I could go out and buy / modify an NA / NB Miata.  Easy.  And I'd have my ridiculously fun car, soon enough.

I didn't last.  I thought I could do it all.  I thought I could buy a fun car that was also somewhat practical.  And I sold the Civic on a whim to get a Honda CRZ - a car I felt would give me my performance rush, while still saving gas and being responsible.  That theory couldn't have gone more horribly wrong. Car was bad on all fronts.  So chagrined was I by the horrible turn of events then I went out and bought a practical, but fun, but reliable car that would suffice until I could get a second purely fun car.  The VW GTI.

The GTI was a wonderful car.  But it was missing that small, nimble, performance I knew I wanted, and was constantly reminded of every time I was passed by a [Miata / Corvette / Mustang / Ferrari / Boxter, etc]

Eventually it got to be too much and I traded in my GTI (after less than 2 years!) on a preowned NC Miata (PRHT).  Fantastic car.  Until I realized most 3rd passengers are disinclined to curl up in the trunk.  Somehow, less than a month after getting the Miata, I rant into a number of times where it's practical limitations caused significant issue.

I decided that pure practicality was what I needed.  Once again on the theory that I would get something fun on the side, eventually.  The Miata went in on a TDI.  Brilliantly practical car.  And of course the root cause of my going out and blowing savings on an MGB.

Long story short - I finally have two cars.  ONe practical and reliable.  The other decidedly not.  But I wasted TONS of money trying to find a compromise.  Convincing myself that I could make do with something dull and practical for at least a couple of years.  I.  We.  Are car guys.  Waiting for the perfect second car to scratch that performance itch isn't in our genetic make up, I don't think.

My story has been a sad tale of trying to buy a car that scratches both itches (practicality and fun), and trying to wait out a dull car to get something really great on the side.  In the end, the most I could wait was a year, it seems. 

ALso - I've heard fantastic things about the 3 series wagon.  Seems like it could be a great 'all around' car.  Assuming you don't mind shelling out money for repairs...

Rupert

The key is to go through your money wasting car buying phase with cheap cars. :lol:

SVT666

You will have 20 years of boring cars when you're married.  Buy the badass stuff right now.  Why don't you DD the BRZ?

Rupert

There is no reason to ever have only boring cars, marriage, kids, whatever.

Rich

I don't understand what's so unpractical about a Miata?!

More than 1 passenger?  They drive.  If they don't have a car, rent one.

Big stuff needs moved?  Pay for delivery or rent a vehicle.  Cheaper than owning one.

I've gone camping, biking, track days, and drove around the country in it for 45 days. 

Buncha ladies here :devil:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

hotrodalex

Ladies love having a gay friend with a Miata.

Lebowski

I don't understand what's so boring about a BRZ?

I don't understand what's so unpractical about am Element (sure, wouldn't be my practical car choice but w/e)?

12,000 RPM

Lol. So much for all the shit Mr H gave me in my car buying thread. This is truly all over the place.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 07, 2014, 04:26:00 PM
I thought this place would understand, but I guess not.

People here blow tens of thousands on vacation and nobody bats an eye.  I waste a couple grand switching cars, people lose their shit :lol:

Enthusiasts would get trading in an exciting new lightweight GT car in for a Subaru Outback and losing thousands of dollars in the process? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.