Obsessing About a 5er

Started by MexicoCityM3, May 30, 2014, 09:45:26 AM

Char

Have you checked out the VW Golf or the Fiat 500? I hear they make a compelling case for a near luxury car and you won't have to give up any of the other cars in the stable.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

MCM3 would you consider a Z4M coupe?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 02, 2014, 05:07:28 PM
MCM3 would you consider a Z4M coupe?

I'd prefer the roadster. I've driven both coupe and roadster and the open top experience is worth the reduced rigidity.
Both, however, are too similar in character to the 1M.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

veeman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 02, 2014, 02:35:35 PM
That's not bad advice.

I've been getting only M cars since '05 when I got the E46 (almost 10 years!). And yes they see the racetrack several times per year. I like the multiple personality / Q-car aspect of M cars but I understand that doesn't make the same sense when you have more than one car.

I very often browse the available used Porsches. There are quite a few available, and they are tempting. I could get a 997.1 S for about the same as the used value of the 1M. Or a 996 Turbo.

997.1S with 6K miles: http://auto.autoplaza.com.mx/MLM-449961817-porsche-911-2007-2p-carrera-2s-coupe-_JM
996 Turbo with 25K miles: http://auto.autoplaza.com.mx/MLM-447821241-porsche-911-2003-2p-turbo-4x4-coupe-_JM

I think the social aspect of being a bimmer fan now comes into play as well. I founded the BMW Club here about 8 years ago. I have lots of friends there, we do a lot of events, we know the best mechanics, so on and so forth. I know there is a similar Porsche club but it feels like a betrayal in a way.

Even though I like the track, increasingly I am wanting something great and comfortable for daily driving and my long highway trips to Leon (GF is from there) of about 250 miles each way. Thus the 5 series.

I don't know, last night I was thinking that I should wait until year end and if things go well in the business gift me something then for my 42nd birthday.

You've inadvertently pigeonholed yourself to one "brand" of car.  You obviously know this.  This probably I'm guessing also played a role in you getting a mini cooper for your girlfriend.  Particularly since you're the founder of the club, this is hard to psychologically break. 

It's easy for me to say: Fuck this.  Break it.  You don't owe them anything.  If BMW is not contributing somehow to your paycheck, don't put this artificial social pyschological barrier to what you can and cannot own.  You are defining your own personal identity by a brand.  This is stunting particularly in a hobby you so love and have invested so much time and effort in.  You can still be the social leader of the club if you own a bmw and a different make. 

It's not a tough situation.  99% of car enthusiasts would probably love to be in the situation you're in.  It is what it is.  It's hard to get a Porsche as it is going to the dark side in BMW fan club speak.  But so is getting a Mercedes or an Audi. 

I wouldn't get the 5 series as a daily driver.  No one will care what you drive daily as long as its not a german luxury competitor.  As 68_427 said, I'd get a loaded mainstreamer that handles fairly well.  I'd sell one of your existing BMWs.  Then I'd save and buy some more exotic bmw or take a walk on the dark side.   

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 02, 2014, 05:23:35 PM
I'd prefer the roadster. I've driven both coupe and roadster and the open top experience is worth the reduced rigidity.
Both, however, are too similar in character to the 1M.

Personally, 1M vs. M Roadster is not even a close consideration.  I'd cash in on the collectible 1M immediately, get an M Roadster, and never look back.  But then again, I want to replace my Z4 with an M Roadster in about 4 years. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

1M Roadster + CSL airbox + race exhaust + Bilstein PSS9 = :wub:   :muffin: :drool: :pee: :pullover: :rockon:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on June 03, 2014, 04:36:47 AM
Personally, 1M vs. M Roadster is not even a close consideration.  I'd cash in on the collectible 1M immediately, get an M Roadster, and never look back.  But then again, I want to replace my Z4 with an M Roadster in about 4 years. 

The Z4 is fantastic in any (manual) form.

However, the 1M is the best driving, most fun BMW in a decade. It's not just the limited numbers. It really is that good. It's an angry puppy.

I have driven all 3 (Z4M coupe, roadster, and 1M) quite extensively at the track (friends own Z4Ms). The only thing the Z4 has over the 1M for fun is the engine noise and - slightly - the throttle response. The chassis, gearbox, steering, power, and toss ability of the 1M is far superior.

If you get the chance to try one do it. It's nothing like a 135i (also driven those).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: veeman on June 03, 2014, 02:18:59 AM

You've inadvertently pigeonholed yourself to one "brand" of car.  You obviously know this.  This probably I'm guessing also played a role in you getting a mini cooper for your girlfriend.  Particularly since you're the founder of the club, this is hard to psychologically break. 

It's easy for me to say: Fuck this.  Break it.  You don't owe them anything.  If BMW is not contributing somehow to your paycheck, don't put this artificial social pyschological barrier to what you can and cannot own.  You are defining your own personal identity by a brand.  This is stunting particularly in a hobby you so love and have invested so much time and effort in.  You can still be the social leader of the club if you own a bmw and a different make. 

It's not a tough situation.  99% of car enthusiasts would probably love to be in the situation you're in.  It is what it is.  It's hard to get a Porsche as it is going to the dark side in BMW fan club speak.  But so is getting a Mercedes or an Audi. 

I wouldn't get the 5 series as a daily driver.  No one will care what you drive daily as long as its not a german luxury competitor.  As 68_427 said, I'd get a loaded mainstreamer that handles fairly well.  I'd sell one of your existing BMWs.  Then I'd save and buy some more exotic bmw or take a walk on the dark side.   

You got me looking into mainstreamers. It's amazing how loaded they come at half the price of a 528i. Looked (online) at a Passat V6, Accord V6 and Mazda 6. All are about half the price of a 528i.

I think that a lot of test driving is in order before pulling the trigger on anything. Said test driving should include cars like Porsches and the new Vette which I like very much. Also the 5er again to compare.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 02, 2014, 02:47:17 PM
Maybe it was the particular one I drove recently. And it was at a track of all places. It was a 528i MSport with the passive sport suspension. Also, it was a '14 model. BMW supposedly revised the chassis and steering somewhat for the later (LCI) models.

My expectations were very low for it having read about the bad steering and several of the things you mention. Maybe it was because of that, but it definitely blew away my expectations.

The track was covered in gravel because it had recently been repaved, and I was actually drifting the big boat around. Easily. I liked the steering and saw no fault with it. The power was perfect (this track is near MC at 3,000 mts above sea level so turbo = win). What I loved the most was the interior, space and smoothness.

I think anyone can get bored with what they have. This may sound obnoxious but I am growing a bit tired of the very things that make the M cars great. Suspension discipline, *relatively* low weight, race car feeling, etc.

When I am pushing them, it's fantastic. But on a 250 mile highway trip I don't do that all the time (too dangerous and tiring). Frankly, I mostly cruise at around 180-200kph and would be more comfortable and as fast in a 5er.

I decided against getting an M-class BMW for similar reasons.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

Dave you should have gotten a Gran Coupe

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Those things look fantastic

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

They do but are wildly more expensive than an A6/5 series.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MrH

I saw an M6 Gran Coupe the other day. Hot Daaaayum.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 03, 2014, 06:17:46 PM
They do but are wildly more expensive than an A6/5 series.

We don't care.  It's Dave's money.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Quote from: 68_427 on June 03, 2014, 06:22:20 PM
We don't care.  It's Dave's money.

That's the right attitude

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 03, 2014, 12:13:08 PM
You know you want it.  :ohyeah:

Because it is less comfortable and slower than my cars?
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 04, 2014, 06:59:29 AM
*hearty belly laugh*

If I listened to all of you guys, I'd be flat broke.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT666

Lebowski

I don't like the 6 gran coupe. 5 looks much better IMO.

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on June 04, 2014, 12:55:38 PM
I don't like the 6 gran coupe. 5 looks much better IMO.

I agree.

dazzleman

12,000 RPM

Quote from: dazzleman on June 04, 2014, 07:04:47 AM
If I listened to all of you guys, I'd be flat broke.
A used GT3 is an investment.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 03, 2014, 09:19:38 PM
Because it is less comfortable and slower than my cars?

Because it looks great, sticks to the road like glue and is apparently a lot of fun to drive.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 05, 2014, 06:03:24 AM
Because it looks great, sticks to the road like glue and is apparently a lot of fun to drive.  :ohyeah:
As is his 1M, a Cayman GTS, C7 etc, to a much larger degree.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2014, 06:17:08 AM
As is his 1M, a Cayman GTS, C7 etc, to a much larger degree.

And those are all RWD. Time for some FWD fun!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Test drove a 528i yesterday and a Merc E250 just now. I liked the Merc a lot more than I expected. I am old!

I'll come back later here with impressions b/c I am in hurry now.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

I went to take a quick look today at the X4 and at the 4 Gran Coupe which both just arrived in dealerships here.

I liked the X4 much more than I expected. The loss in practicality is minimal for the gain (to my eyes) in styling vs the X3. It's a bit more expensive than a 528i, but it gets the N55 engine.

I probably will test drive it on Saturday.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)