Rotor Cooling Rings

Started by Rich, May 31, 2014, 07:06:54 AM

Rich

So Edmunds found a bag of shit in the trunk of their long term Corvette when they picked it up.  In it, there are some rotor cooling rings:

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/corvette-stingray/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-brake-rotor-cooling-rings.html

I've never ever heard of anything like this before, so I thought I'd share.  It looks like it forces the air into the rotor cooling vanes from the center, rather than blowing through laterally the inner diameter of the rotor.  They caution against leaving them on, due to possible corrosion to the rotors in daily driving.  I'm guessing to keep whatever crap comes up from the road from sticking to the hub/inner diameter of the rotor.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

Looks like they could have figured out a better way to,attach them rather than just safety wire them on.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

:facepalm:

If blocking off the air from entering the hubs from the outside is effective - why the &$%@ didnt they just spec rotors with that feature built in?

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

Quote from: r0tor on May 31, 2014, 10:03:45 AM
:facepalm:

If blocking off the air from entering the hubs from the outside is effective - why the &$%@ didnt they just spec rotors with that feature built in?
QuoteThey caution against leaving them on, due to possible corrosion to the rotors in daily driving.  I'm guessing to keep whatever crap comes up from the road from sticking to the hub/inner diameter of the rotor.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

hotrodalex

If it's just for track driving I don't see a problem with it. Anyone tracking it should be able to deal with installation and that's probably the cheapest and easiest solution to get some more confidence in the brakes.

r0tor

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 31, 2014, 10:57:23 AM

Clearly its a problem nobody has ever engineered around.  Can you imagine the bucket of parts a P1 has to go to a track day
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 31, 2014, 11:14:49 AM
If it's just for track driving I don't see a problem with it. Anyone tracking it should be able to deal with installation and that's probably the cheapest and easiest solution to get some more confidence in the brakes.

Lame. That's like 30min or more of someone's life to put them on, then take them off the same?

Just put better brakes on! :huh:
Will