How much gas would a 200lb reduction in curb weight save?

Started by Submariner, June 11, 2014, 06:43:36 PM

Submariner

Let's say you have a typical 200lb car and you were to shave 200lbs off it's weight (without affecting running gear, tires, etc)  Is there any way to roughly calculate the gas it would save?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FlatBlackCaddy

I thought that once at speed, fuel mileage was largely due to drag coefficient, rolling resistance and mechanics(gearing, thermal efficiency?). If that is the case, then it really shouldn't change much if at all. Maybe a little bit because it would be less mass to get moving from a stop.

Submariner

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 11, 2014, 06:53:35 PM
I thought that once at speed, fuel mileage was largely due to drag coefficient, rolling resistance and mechanics(gearing, thermal efficiency?). If that is the case, then it really shouldn't change much if at all. Maybe a little bit because it would be less mass to get moving from a stop.

Let's say we are talking about a city car...maybe something like a Smart or a 500 that is doing a great deal of stop and go driving. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Quote from: Submariner on June 11, 2014, 06:43:36 PM
Let's say you have a typical 200lb car and you were to shave 200lbs off it's weight (without affecting running gear, tires, etc)  Is there any way to roughly calculate the gas it would save?
It would be easy to test if you put a 200 lb. dumbbell in your car a drove around with it and then did the same driving without it.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Highway mileage would be largely unaffected, but city mileage would improve because it now takes less energy to accelerate the car, and you therefore use less fuel in stop-and-go.  How much?  Too many factors to pin it down quantitatively.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Pretty sure that if you have a 200 lb car and you shave off 200 lbs, you'd be sitting on the ground making engine noises and shifting with a stick you find under a tree.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Rupert on June 11, 2014, 07:39:58 PM
Pretty sure that if you have a 200 lb car and you shave off 200 lbs, you'd be sitting on the ground making engine noises and shifting with a stick you find under a tree.

Beat me to it. It would save all gas.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

I think it would have a higher mileage gain in cars with smaller engines. But still only like a 1 mpg difference.

MexicoCityM3

It would be easy enough to ADD 200 lbs in the trunk and carry them around in the trunk to measure the impact.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

Rupert

I used to notice that my Miata handled differently with a full-size passenger in it, and my old old Novarolla was much slower. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

Both small cars with small engines, thus my first post.

You don't really notice another passenger or two in a CamCord.

Rupert

Aye. You need more than 500 lbs to notice any difference in the Explorer, and probably 1000 lbs to notice a power difference. And it's not a particularly powerful engine.

12,000 RPM

I did something like this with the Z. Drove up to NYC with wifey and all her stuff, drove back down solo (she flew back earlier for work). Don't remember any difference in gas mileage.

I think weight has a much bigger effect on dynamics. My 1st Accord was relatively softly sprung and in my youthful ignorance I ran lowering springs with stock shocks. I also had 2 12s and the trunk, which with an amp weighed about 90lbs. I got used to it at first, but eventually I got tired of the subs/weight and took it out. The rear end felt more responsive and the car definitely accelerated faster.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 13, 2014, 06:41:06 AM
I did something like this with the Z. Drove up to NYC with wifey and all her stuff, drove back down solo (she flew back earlier for work). Don't remember any difference in gas mileage.

I think weight has a much bigger effect on dynamics. My 1st Accord was relatively softly sprung and in my youthful ignorance I ran lowering springs with stock shocks. I also had 2 12s and the trunk, which with an amp weighed about 90lbs. I got used to it at first, but eventually I got tired of the subs/weight and took it out. The rear end felt more responsive and the car definitely accelerated faster.

On a long road trip like that, you likely spent the vast majority of your time cruising relatively steadily on the highway.  In which case, weight doesn't play a significant role.  When accelerating, such as in stop-and-go, weight plays a much larger role in fuel consumption.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

I only start really feeling it in the Yaris after more than one passenger.