Simple fix for wobbly steering

Started by Morris Minor, June 20, 2014, 06:34:42 AM

Morris Minor

Wifey's beloved Merc CLK 350 cabrio (40k miles) developed a horrible steering wobble every time the car crossed a ridge between lanes, went over a pothole or manhole cover etc. I was convinced it was worn bushings or an alignment problem. We pointed it out as an item to look at during a routine service. Mercedes could find nothing wrong - but noted in their write-up that the front tires needed replacement (which I knew - but was in denial about - trying to be careful with the $$). So we had this done at the local tire shop.

Bingo. Problem fixed. It was the crappy 5-year-old OEM Continental tires that had made the car feel like someone had gone underneath with a wrench and loosened a few tie rods. Lesson learned.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

i buy only crappy cheap tires, and as such they are harder rubber so they last longer (poorer grip) so I don't even realize how long I own them.

I've had pretty bad 25mph shimmying from time to time, new set of tires fixed it last time, but it's coming back- and tires are only a year old.
Will

2o6

Cheap tires are usually cheap for a reason. Maybe a belt shifted.

Rich

How did it develop so fast though?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 30, 2014, 05:57:52 AM
How did it develop so fast though?

Radial belts may have snapped or shifted due to hitting potholes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rich

Quote from: MX793 on June 30, 2014, 09:26:14 AM
Radial belts may have snapped or shifted due to hitting potholes.

Interesting.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Morris Minor

I was wrong.

The change of tires improved things, but the car is still tramlining. Was coming home yesterday, doing around 60, & my wife thought I was wobbling the steering wheel. I wasn't. The car was jinking along longitudinal wear lines on the pavement surface.

Dammit. Wondering if it could be the rear suspension? We've had the front checked out.

MX793

Might just be a function of the vehicle's track width or tire width and the shape of the road surface.  I notice a bit of tugging at the wheel on certain roads.  Never really noticed it until I put wider tires on the car (which altered the track width).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Could it be wheel weights? When my Jetta developed a shimmy, they tried to fix it with wheel weights and it definitely lessened the effect.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

I did some Googling, read the Tirerack.com article on tramlining, & came across a couple of forum posts from other M-B owners complaining about the same thing. None of them were about the CLK though, C209 or A209.

There is no play in the steering and nothing when I grab the wheels & try to wobble them, but I'd have to get the car on a lift with the weight off the suspension to be sure.

Anyway, a couple of places said though to check the tire inflation pressure, which I did. Both fronts wheels were 5lb over (33 instead of the recommended 28). So I reduced them to 29 (it was very warm in the garage).  I took it out for a drive on the stretch of road that gave the problem yesterday and, it may be the power of suggestion or seeing what I want to see, but I could not detect it tramlining. We'll see how it goes.