O God. Am I going to buy a Prius????

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 21, 2014, 09:44:01 PM

Northlands

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 28, 2014, 02:37:03 PM
Is this the current version (2010+)?

Either way, Jetta wagen TDI sounds like the better overall choice.

Just make sure she's on board with a diesel. While it makes sense to us, she might really want the hybrid aspect of it.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Laconian

You can see my impressions in the TSX successor thread. IMO the TDI wagon is fantastic.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CJ

My mother doesn't like cars.  He Accord was merely adequate when new in 2007, but she liked the V6 power and taught suspension.  Her Jetta blows her mind.  Any time we have a guest over, she goes on about her TDI.  She extols the virtues of the car to no end.  She is head over heals in love with this car, and rightfully so.  While it may have leatherette, the interior is really very good quality.  The audio quality is pretty decent for a $25,000 car, and the seats are extremely comfortable.  It drives like an Audi.

12,000 RPM

Anyone know anything about Volts? Wifey has a charging station right at her job's front door...
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2014, 09:15:48 PM
You can see my impressions in the TSX successor thread. IMO the TDI wagon is fantastic.

sigh, still want.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 27, 2014, 07:02:18 AM
Anyone know anything about Volts? Wifey has a charging station right at her job's front door...

what's his nuts has one and has a whole thread about it.
Will

MrH

I like it a lot more than the prius, if that counts for anything.

The new one coming out is going to have some serious range. How soon are you looking to buy?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

ChrisV and Nomis both have a Volt.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on July 27, 2014, 08:34:10 AM
I like it a lot more than the prius, if that counts for anything.

The new one coming out is going to have some serious range. How soon are you looking to buy?
Like 2 or 3 years. We're far away. I just noticed that used ones are starting to get down under 20K, so I figure they will be down where I'd be willing to pay ($15Kish) when we're ready.

I'm not crazy about the interior, but for wifey and her commute, it kind of works. Better performance/economy than the Prius, and the same performance as the JSW TDI with way more economy. Unless it drives like total ass, it's kind of a no brainer, especially if I can get one for $15K used with less than like 70K miles.

AutobahnSHO

Some of the "commuter cars" i see in parking lots really kill me. One co-worker drives a Lincoln Navigator or 3er hardtop convertible.
Her husband also commutes to the base here. So any given day one of them is driving the Navigator.

The big pickups, the d00d with the minivan every day, it really boggles the mind how our low gas prices are so different than the driving world everywhere else on the planet.
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 27, 2014, 12:10:36 PM
Like 2 or 3 years. We're far away. I just noticed that used ones are starting to get down under 20K, so I figure they will be down where I'd be willing to pay ($15Kish) when we're ready.

I'm not crazy about the interior, but for wifey and her commute, it kind of works. Better performance/economy than the Prius, and the same performance as the JSW TDI with way more economy. Unless it drives like total ass, it's kind of a no brainer, especially if I can get one for $15K used with less than like 70K miles.

Look at that statement though - $15k for a used compact with 70k miles? Just as with hybrids the economics of diesels don't wash. Buy an equivalent used Civic or Corolla for 50-60% of that cost...

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 27, 2014, 12:51:35 PM
Some of the "commuter cars" i see in parking lots really kill me. One co-worker drives a Lincoln Navigator or 3er hardtop convertible.
Her husband also commutes to the base here. So any given day one of them is driving the Navigator.

The big pickups, the d00d with the minivan every day, it really boggles the mind how our low gas prices are so different than the driving world everywhere else on the planet.

That's good though - it's called "liberty" which much the rest of the world doesn't have in anything close to what we have here.

SVT666

It's cheaper to pay the gas for a Navigator than it is to own different vehicles for every occasion. I drive an Explorer every day that averages 18 mpg.  The only reason I have it is because I have a boat and occasionally the kids bring their friends with us.  I would love to own a Volt for commuting, a truck to tow the boat, a minivan for when the kids bring their friends, and a two seat sports car for fun times.  Instead I have an Explorer (and a utility trailer) and an Infiniti G37 to cover all those things in just two vehicles.

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 27, 2014, 12:10:36 PM

I don't know how much you care about miles but...

http://insideevs.com/perfect-storm-used-chevy-volts/
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Wait, you're talking 2-3 years out?  The whole used car market could be different by then, your needs will be different, etc.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 27, 2014, 12:51:35 PM

Some of the cars I saw at work were not great choices for a commute either. 760li (owned by a chick who was the same rank as I was, current generation), Nissan Pathfinder with roofbox on all the time, enormous Dodge Ram 2500 or something like that, and occasionally an H1. And a weirdo who drove a Z4 top down in freezing temperatures and in the rain.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2014, 01:34:56 PM
And a weirdo d00d who drove a Z4 top down in freezing temperatures and in the rain.

Fixed. ;)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SVT666 on July 27, 2014, 01:14:26 PM
It's cheaper to pay the gas for a Navigator than it is to own different vehicles for every occasion. I drive an Explorer every day that averages 18 mpg.  The only reason I have it is because I have a boat and occasionally the kids bring their friends with us.  I would love to own a Volt for commuting, a truck to tow the boat, a minivan for when the kids bring their friends, and a two seat sports car for fun times.  Instead I have an Explorer (and a utility trailer) and an Infiniti G37 to cover all those things in just two vehicles.

Agreed. It just cracks me up sometimes.
Will

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2014, 01:13:34 PM
That's good though - it's called "liberty" which much the rest of the world doesn't have in anything close to what we have here.

:hesaid:

In addition for a daily short commute, gas price is inconsequential so it makes sense to take the Navigator.  Both a Navigator and a Fiat will take up one parking spot. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Buy an equivalent used Civic or Corolla for 50-60% of that cost...
No.....

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 27, 2014, 02:14:52 PM
Agreed. It just cracks me up sometimes.
One of the dumbest arguments I hear about pickup trucks is, "I rarely see trucks hauling or pulling anything during my commute".  Well, no shit.  I don't know about you. but I have never towed a 5th wheel or taken a load of firewood to work with me.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on July 27, 2014, 01:15:43 PM
I don't know how much you care about miles but...

http://insideevs.com/perfect-storm-used-chevy-volts/
I'm not scared of miles at all, my Z is about to turn over 180K and it runs great :huh:

Plus with more miles = less depreciation, and a modern car is not much less reliable at 50K miles than it is at 100K miles. I.e. if its crap its crap from day one, if its good it's good for the long haul. Wifey can charge up for free at her job so we are talking 4 digit annual savings on fuel over a conventional Civrolla. So from a cost of ownership POV it's not something I would dismiss

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on July 28, 2014, 10:07:47 AM
One of the dumbest arguments I hear about pickup trucks is, "I rarely see trucks hauling or pulling anything during my commute".  Well, no shit.  I don't know about you. but I have never towed a 5th wheel or taken a load of firewood to work with me.

Actually, it's a pretty good argument. The vast majority of pickup buyers don't need in any way, shape or form a 300+ hp, 5,500+ lb battle wagon to get through life.

AutobahnSHO

Or they could rent the truck the 3times per year they actually use it like a truck. :huh:
The gas moneys saved the rest of the year would totally bankroll it.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 28, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
.....  and a modern car is not much less reliable at 50K miles than it is at 100K miles. I.e. if its crap its crap from day one, if its good it's good for the long haul.

Very excellent point that most people never think about. If the car was a lemon it would have been sold several times instead of hitting 120k with only 1-2 owners.
Will

hotrodalex

Relatives drove from SC to Cincy in their new Camry hybrid, only used like 10 gallons (maybe a bit less). :shocked:

Edit: okay did the math and that's not too crazy. V8 powarrrr has affected my expectations a lot.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 29, 2014, 07:15:51 PM
Actually, it's a pretty good argument. The vast majority of pickup buyers don't need in any way, shape or form a 300+ hp, 5,500+ lb battle wagon to get through life.
No, it's a pretty terrible argument.  I drove a Ram for 3 years.  Not once did I tow or haul a load to work, but on the weekends I almost always had stuff in the box.  I agree most people who own trucks don't need them, but that's not argument for people not owning them either.  #Freedom

Northlands

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 28, 2014, 07:44:46 AM
No.....

No kidding. 2-3 year old Civics around here are selling for $15k.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on July 29, 2014, 09:21:43 PM
No, it's a pretty terrible argument.  I drove a Ram for 3 years.  Not once did I tow or haul a load to work, but on the weekends I almost always had stuff in the box.  I agree most people who own trucks don't need them, but that's not argument for people not owning them either.  #Freedom

Sure; if people want a truck by all means - naturally I wouldn't ever argue restricting someone's choice on what to drive (I wouldn't mind me a Sierra with the new 420 hp 6.2L) but most people simply don't need them, and considering how much they cost to buy and fuel, it's a discussion point as it concerns personal finance and American indebtedness...