New Member - [Introduction goes here]

Started by thewalrus, July 07, 2014, 03:24:21 PM

thewalrus

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 08, 2014, 11:39:06 AM
Welcome - I used to hang out on C&D too. I try to get to Brit car shows when I can, MGs are usually very well represented so there's no shortage of expertise out there.

P.S. The squabbles here are almost 100% confined to politics in the General Section. Don't let that put you off  :lol:

Haha - yep.  I've stumbled across that already.  The politics stuff.  I remember, back in my undergrad days on C&D and over at AF, I used to jump in with both feet, and both hands.  Swinging wildly away.  I've calmed since.  Politics got old. I realized how pointless it was. Something happened.  I vote.  I stay informed.  But the debates don't interest me as much, anymore. 

thewalrus

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2014, 01:40:54 PM
Wow, this is pretty much the secret CarSPIN handshake. Final step for entry into the brotherhood is to drink 8 oz of ox blood in 1 gulp.

Shaman was great. My fondest Shaman tall tale was him claiming he could verify a car's quarter mile time by watching it on a straightaway. Early internet trolls were always the best.

Haha yep.  I remember that guy well.

I have to say - older internet trolls were definitely awesome.  So passionate.  So immune from reason.  So ready to take the fight to anyone, anywhere.  I remember those threads going on for 20, 30, 40 pages.  Well into the early hours of the morning.  And guys like Shaman, and Les Vipers Rule (if any of you remember him), would just keep jumping up.  Like a wack-a-mole attached to a stuck record.

Rupert

I wonder if old LVR will get a mention in the internet history books. Seems that if you were into cars on the internet from 2002-2007, you have an LVR story.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

thewalrus

Quote from: Colin on July 08, 2014, 03:23:03 PM
Let me add my own welcome to you.

As the forum's only (currently active) native of and resident Brit, I do of course heartily approve of your MG, and am delighted to see that you have a nice chrome bumpered one before the looks and the raised ride height, urm,  "changed" it!

Like Herr Wimmer, I also love older and classic machines, but unlike him, I'm nothing like as enthusiastic on US stuff from the 1970s........... my automotive heart is pretty firmly anchored in Italy, with a pre war Alfa my absolute dream car.

Thanks!  Yeah, I love the pre-rubber MGs.  Had to look for a little while longer, and spend a little more on this one.  But it's worth it.  The first thing my mechanic did when he got it, is rip out the smog gear (less than worthless).  So the engine breathes a little easier, accelerates a little quicker, and generally performs better all round. 

Hear you on the Alfas, too.  One of my favorites is the late 60s, Alfa Duetto.  One of the really sleek boat tail designs.  When this one moves on to its next owner, I think I might head down that route.  Just a perfect look for a car.  So I'll be saving my pennies and what not, and hopefully jumping up to something Italian for my next car.  Or German.  Or maybe another Brit...

Rupert

Quote from: thewalrus on July 08, 2014, 03:30:05 PM
Yeah - so far I can see why.  I've actually heard pretty decent things about MGB reliability... on the whole.  There's always some lemons out there.  But the fact that you can do a lot of the work on them, yourself.  Combined with the price of replacement parts, makes them a pretty powerful argument for a first classic car. 

Nothing's gone significantly wrong yet - and my electrical system works wonderfully (I'll now have to kill a chicken, kneel in middle of a pentagram, and recite ancient Celtic prayers backwards in honor of Lucas, and in apology for my hubris).

At this point, it's the age and not the Lucasness you probably have to worry about. If you upgrade the electrical system with modern fuses, connectors, and relays, it's pretty much good to go.

It's a fun car to work on-- very few systems, and lots of room!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

dazzleman

Quote from: thewalrus on July 08, 2014, 03:34:39 PM
Haha yep.  I remember that guy well.

I have to say - older internet trolls were definitely awesome.  So passionate.  So immune from reason.  So ready to take the fight to anyone, anywhere.  I remember those threads going on for 20, 30, 40 pages.  Well into the early hours of the morning.  And guys like Shaman, and Les Vipers Rule (if any of you remember him), would just keep jumping up.  Like a wack-a-mole attached to a stuck record.

That was the golden age for forums back then.  Lots of fun.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Morris Minor

Can't remember who it was, but the most brilliant C&D troll post I remember was a well reasoned dissertation on why the Chevy Lumina was a great car. It sparked off a frenzy that the poster sustained all the way through.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CJ

The Chevy Lumina IS a great car.  Trunk luggage rack?  Does it get any better than that?

hotrodalex

CJ

Then, by association, they're magnificent cars.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 08, 2014, 07:18:13 PM
Can't remember who it was, but the most brilliant C&D troll post I remember was a well reasoned dissertation on why the Chevy Lumina was a great car. It sparked off a frenzy that the poster sustained all the way through.

Clearly you need to be ilLUMINAted.

FoMoJo

Quote from: thewalrus on July 08, 2014, 03:40:18 PM
Thanks!  Yeah, I love the pre-rubber MGs.  Had to look for a little while longer, and spend a little more on this one.  But it's worth it.  The first thing my mechanic did when he got it, is rip out the smog gear (less than worthless).  So the engine breathes a little easier, accelerates a little quicker, and generally performs better all round. 

Hear you on the Alfas, too.  One of my favorites is the late 60s, Alfa Duetto.  One of the really sleek boat tail designs.  When this one moves on to its next owner, I think I might head down that route.  Just a perfect look for a car.  So I'll be saving my pennies and what not, and hopefully jumping up to something Italian for my next car.  Or German.  Or maybe another Brit...
You have good taste in cars.  The Alfa round tail is a beautiful design.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rupert on July 08, 2014, 08:04:19 PM
Speaking of, FoMoJo...
Yeah, yeah...still sitting in my workshop.  I have plans though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

TBR

Quote from: CJ on July 08, 2014, 07:20:05 PM
The Chevy Lumina IS a great car.  Trunk luggage rack?  Does it get any better than that?

Yes, a Chevy Lumina with a luggage rack in classy pearlescent white.

Welcome to the forum..it's been a while since we have had a new member

cawimmer430

There was a user on the C&D forums who used the screen name I_drive_a_Lumina. Are we talking about him?

Other fun characters from the glory days on C&D were PMC (Proud Mary Cadillac) who literally asserted that his classy pearlescent white Seville was the best car ever made or something. Another, um, interesting user was that Julian Solos guy who would always start the weirdest topics in general talk.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FlatBlackCaddy

PMC was infuriating, in all his different iterations.

12,000 RPM

Im pretty sure GoCougs is Julian Solos.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 09, 2014, 01:49:50 PM

I could see that. Or his older brother or something.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 09, 2014, 01:49:50 PM

I still say that was RBA. I do know for sure that RBA was Bill Frist.

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 08, 2014, 01:49:31 PM
On the bright side, they get a free jacket once they're inside!
I never got a jacket! :rage:

As to the Road & Track/Car & Driver posters from that era, I rather enjoyed Vitesse.  Very knowledgeable about obscure cars and he had a delightful wit.

Rupert

Quote from: Rockraven on July 09, 2014, 07:01:34 PM
I still say that was RBA. I do know for sure that RBA was Bill Frist.

Uh, not sure about that one.

Secret Chimp

Heh, I think this guy up and left already

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Beav

New guy here... I know a couple members here.

68_427

Hi I'm Cale.  I buy squishy white bread, but I also like potato bread.
'racecar is die'
no

Beav

I am vacationing in Detroit doing car things..

68_427

'racecar is die'
no