Is the Viper dead?

Started by SVT666, July 08, 2014, 09:42:09 AM

MrH

You can't just swap in the 6.4 V8 and expect everything to be fine unfortunately.  Even if you could, it will be a pretty shitty car.  Everything is built to accommodate that massive engine.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on July 11, 2014, 08:59:21 AM
You can't just swap in the 6.4 V8 and expect everything to be fine unfortunately.  Even if you could, it will be a pretty shitty car. 
And you know this based on what....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 11, 2014, 11:40:17 AM
And you know this based on what....

Absolutely nothing. I think it would be quite easy and would make a much better Viper.

hotrodalex

This forum is no fun anymore with everyone asking for proof of ridiculous statements. I demand the right to say things and not be questioned!

Payman

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 11, 2014, 03:55:09 PM
This forum is no fun anymore with everyone asking for proof of ridiculous statements. I demand the right to say things and not be questioned!

I don't ask for proof of ridiculous statements. If I know it to be ridiculous, well then it's ridiculous.

GoCougs

The "proof" is basic engineering understanding of complex dynamical systems. Dropping a V8 in the Viper as-is would indeed be a disaster, and precisely why it hasn't happened in more than 20 years of production. It's tantamount to offering the F458's V8 in the F12. To do such things properly you'd need to redesign the space frame chassis and then spend oodles of time retuning/redoing the suspension which isn't too far removed from designing a new car. This is precisely why similar super hi-po cars never come with a disparate engine mix - Ferrari, 911, Lambo, LFA, F1, Corvette, etc.; too much work and too much compromise (or too crappy of a car).

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on July 11, 2014, 06:28:41 PM
The "proof" is basic engineering understanding of complex dynamical systems. Dropping a V8 in the Viper as-is would indeed be a disaster, and precisely why it hasn't happened in more than 20 years of production. It's tantamount to offering the F458's V8 in the F12. To do such things properly you'd need to redesign the space frame chassis and then spend oodles of time retuning/redoing the suspension which isn't too far removed from designing a new car. This is precisely why similar super hi-po cars never come with a disparate engine mix - Ferrari, 911, Lambo, LFA, F1, Corvette, etc.; too much work and too much compromise (or too crappy of a car).

Nobody said "as is", professor.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on July 11, 2014, 06:37:13 PM
Nobody said "as is", professor.
Lol.

Plus, its not like there are any cars that have different engines in the same body. The only 911 that exists is the GT2, amirite?  :rastaman:

GoCougs

Sure, everybody did.

MrH is 100% correct - V8-optional Viper would be a lousy car, and exactly why it's never been done.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on July 11, 2014, 06:58:01 PM
Sure, everybody did.

MrH is 100% correct - V8-optional Viper would be a lousy car, and exactly why it's never been done.

Baseless opinion. The reason it hasn't been done (yet) is because the V10 is ubiquitous with "Viper"... it's calling card if you will. It wouldn't take much (yes, some re-engineering would be involved) to change this ideal and make it a Hemi V8 powered car.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on July 11, 2014, 06:28:41 PM
This is precisely why similar super hi-po cars never come with a disparate engine mix - Ferrari, 911, Lambo, LFA, F1, Corvette, etc.; too much work and too much compromise (or too crappy of a car).

It is not easy, but not impossible either. The Audi R8 comes with a V8, and a V10, and they seriously considered stuffing a V12 diesel into it.

The question for Dodge will be if it is cheaper to shoehorn the Hellcat's V8 into the Viper or augment the V10. Because as it stands now the Viper is dead. Of course they may decide to simply let the snake die.

hotrodalex

Vipers are too low volume to make that feasible. Chrysler can barely afford it as is.

ifcar

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 11, 2014, 08:44:00 PM
Vipers are too low volume to make that feasible. Chrysler can barely afford it as is.

This is talking about a downmarket rather than upmarket engine, though, which does make a difference for that argument.

I'm sure it entirely comes down to how much a different engine could bring down the car's price, and that none of us knows how the finances would work out. I do think Fiat would hate the black eye of having to slink away from this market, and I do think there's room in the marketplace for a Corvette competitor.

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on July 11, 2014, 08:41:09 PM
It is not easy, but not impossible either. The Audi R8 comes with a V8, and a V10, and they seriously considered stuffing a V12 diesel into it.

The question for Dodge will be if it is cheaper to shoehorn the Hellcat's V8 into the Viper or augment the V10. Because as it stands now the Viper is dead. Of course they may decide to simply let the snake die.

Exactly as I stated - and the V10 version of the R8 is a ~$40k upcharge. It's a HUGE undertaking because it has to be done correctly - just "doing it" would result in a lousy car. The car - chassis, suspension, and loads of tuning - has to be redone.

My guess it's not worth the cost to develop a V8 Viper chassis - tons of time and work for a few hundred cars a year.

hotrodalex

Might be a good idea to switch to a V8 as the sole engine next redesign, however.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 11, 2014, 09:22:25 PM
just "doing it" would result in a lousy car.
Point us to some real world examples where this has happened.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on July 11, 2014, 09:22:25 PM
Exactly as I stated - and the V10 version of the R8 is a ~$40k upcharge. It's a HUGE undertaking because it has to be done correctly - just "doing it" would result in a lousy car. The car - chassis, suspension, and loads of tuning - has to be redone.

My guess it's not worth the cost to develop a V8 Viper chassis - tons of time and work for a few hundred cars a year.

Yes, because the exact amount more that a company charges for a vehicle is always directly related to the relative development costs. 

The R8 was derived from the Gallardo platform.  The work needed to make a V10 work was already done when they developed the Lambo several years earlier.  Audi actually had to design the Gallardo platform to accept the V8 when developing the R8 (so why did the V8 R8 cost so much less than the Gallardo?).  By adding the V10, they were actually returning to what they started with.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5