Camry to dump V6 for you know what.

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 19, 2014, 08:05:49 AM

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 29, 2014, 06:27:20 AM
Big rigs shift a ton more than regular cars because of their narrow power bands, which = more spooling up and cycling. They also run boost levels in the 30-40psi range. Higher pressure ratio = faster spinning turbo, regardless of turbo size. So it's kind of a wash.
Around town they do, but on the highway they're usually cruising in one gear, aren't they? So it could even out.

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 29, 2014, 09:33:04 AM
Around town they do, but on the highway they're usually cruising in one gear, aren't they? So it could even out.
So are cars.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Byteme

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 29, 2014, 09:33:04 AM

Big rigs will downshift in higher load situations, like climbing a grade, that won't tax an automobile enough to cause it to downshift. 

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

10 to 15 speeds are very common.  I'm sure there are some with more.  The other factor with semis is that they have an extremely narrow RPM band, so even with all of the shifting the RPM variation is much less than in a car.  A CAT C12 redlined at 1800-2000 RPM.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 29, 2014, 06:27:20 AM
Big rigs shift a ton more than regular cars because of their narrow power bands, which = more spooling up and cycling. They also run boost levels in the 30-40psi range. Higher pressure ratio = faster spinning turbo, regardless of turbo size. So it's kind of a wash.

Industrial diesels spend many many many more hours at speed vs. the average retail passenger car.

Boost is not necessarily related to turbo RPM but design of the turbine and compressor; industrial turbos are huge and spin slower.

As to boost I was throwing all industrial diesels (marine, power gen, etc.) into the same mix.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 29, 2014, 07:44:03 AM
It's still nonsense.

How exactly? I full well understand that that Ford press release regarding EB design life rattled yer cage but c'mon, you're just plain trolling now.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on July 29, 2014, 01:37:02 PM
How exactly? I full well understand that that Ford press release regarding EB design life rattled yer cage but c'mon, you're just plain trolling now.

Let's see..
Meh, no more use in arguing. Turbos don't get as good mpg and they are not as reliable or as robust as a N/A motor. That's just the way it is and it has been addressed  :huh:.
Simple conjecture with no validation.  Nonsense.

As for Ford stating that the turbos they use will last at least 10 years or 150 thousand miles, that's a bold statement.  I expect they are quite confident that their Ecoboost engines are exceptionally robust.  The link I posted of their torture test gives a good indication of how robust they are.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Has been validated...

Yes, it was very bold for Ford to say that a $3k+ subsystem of the F150 was designed to NOT last as long as the rest of the vehicle.

12,000 RPM

Not when it's understood that it is a wear and tear part :huh:

Your objection makes about as much sense as complaining about having to replace shocks or brake rotors.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs