Polaris Slingshot

Started by Payman, July 23, 2014, 12:47:58 PM

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 24, 2014, 07:27:01 AM
The government needs to protect you. You don't know any better.

Protect me by instead removing a wheel, making what is effectively a lawn dart when you lose traction at the rear :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 24, 2014, 07:22:11 AM
I wonder....since this is legally a motorcycle, could you just pass it in is?

I can't speak for all states, but in many you need an MC license to operate a trike.  I believe in many that if you take your road test on a trike you are restricted to operating trikes and have to test on a bike to operate 2-wheelers (if you test on a bike you may operate trikes).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on July 24, 2014, 05:23:34 AM
While true, it makes no flipping sense I can't buy an Xbow because it doesn't meet all safety crash standards.... But I can buy a new sport bike and go flying around without a helmet and meet no crash standard at all.

Oh yeah, I agree completely. The Xbow and Atom are built like race cars, and are probably more survivable in a crash than a Hyundai Accent. Government knows best, though.  :wanker:

Payman

I like these wheels much better.

MrH

Yeah, the wheels on the pic above are ugly.

I looked into Ohio.  Apparently there's a 3-wheel vehicle endorsement in Ohio.  It's not a full motorcycle license, but it's kind of similar.  Permit for a few months that require a helmet, then you get a full license, etc.  I'd probably wear a helmet everywhere anyways (maybe not if just a trip down the street or something). :rockon:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

Man, Polaris is really good at holding the cards to their chest. It's hard to find any other info on the Slingshot. Looking forward to finding out more on Sunday.

FlatBlackCaddy

I really don't like the 3 wheel style of this thing. Total deal breaker unless it was cheap(doubtful).

It just occurred to me that the polaris product development plant is about 5 miles up the road from me. I get some polaris guys in the store every now and then, I'm sure they know the scoop.

Still at the end of the day it doesn't matter, I'm sure this thing will be way over priced for the market I'm in(track performance). It's price is much more likely geared toward the "more money than sense" 20K 4 wheeler market(rzr). I'd be shocked if it's less than 30 for a descent one. Maybe the "entry" model will be one with a 80HP twin in it, worthless IMO.

Payman

Well, we'll see on Sunday.

FlatBlackCaddy

On a sidenote, I really want to strike that douchebag in the passenger seat doing all the air punching.

MrH

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 24, 2014, 12:09:39 PM
On a sidenote, I really want to strike that douchebag in the passenger seat doing all the air punching.

My coworkers and I are all excited to see what this thing costs.  Also, everyone promises to do similar air punching as a passenger if someone in the office buys one :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rich

What makes it better than an Ariel Atom?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Payman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 24, 2014, 01:24:17 PM
What makes it better than an Ariel Atom?

The fact that you will be able to buy one
Cost (hopefully)
Dealer access
Warranty

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on July 24, 2014, 01:38:41 PM
The fact that you will be able to buy one
Cost (hopefully)
Dealer access
Warranty

Street legal would also be a point
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

Rich

thought the Atom was street legal
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Payman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 24, 2014, 01:44:19 PM
thought the Atom was street legal

Sort of. Probably varies by State, but it sounds like a real pain in the ass:

IS IT LEGAL?

Lots of people ask me if my Ariel Atom is legal. The short answer is YES. But there's more to it than that. It's not as simple as walking off a car dealer's lot with title and registration. As a potential Ariel Atom owner, you'll need to know about a California DMV code named SB-100.

The SB-100 gives 500 vehicles a year the opportunity to be sequenced "specially constructed." The DMV gives 500 vehicles a chance by giving away the numbers 1 to 500. Obviously, in the whole state of California there's a lot of people putting together kit cars or Cobra replicas, etc. So it's really important to get one of these numbers as quickly as you can.

I lined up at the DMV at 4am on January 2nd to be first in line. Even then I had a miserable 3 hour wait while the local office kept ringing and getting a busy signal from Sacramento. Lots of other drivers all over California were busily calling Sacramento trying to get their numbers as well. After three hours of torture I was given a sequence number. This was the beginning of the process of getting my Atom street legal.

This vehicle qualifies as a specially constructed vehicle because it is sold as a kit for self-assembly. Therefore, the laws that apply to a passenger vehicle don't apply to it. This special sequence also gets you a lifetime exemption for a smog certificate. Without that exemption, the Ariel would never qualify. So the SB-100 is great for the new Ariel Atom owner.

Next, you'll need to have a CHP inspection where they go through some of the details on the car. Then you'll go to the smog referee who verifies that you're smog exempt. You'll have a brake and light inspection, back to the DMV and lo and behold you get your license plates. It's a wonderful feeling when that happens!

As an Ariel Atom fan I want as many people as possible to own an Atom, to be legal and get licensed. Obviously I'm not going to be able to get into all that detailed paperwork on this site, but you can go to ArielAtomClub.com and become a member. There you'll have access to the forum where there are some tremendous people who can help you through the process.

MrH

Yeah, Ariel Atoms are a huge pain in the ass to get street legal.  Also, they're $60k... used.  You can't get one for cheaper.  They're also impossible to find already assembled.

This could be an Ariel Atom that's <$20k, easy to register, and easy to find.  Being able to walk up and purchase one is a huge difference.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Payman

Quote from: MrH on July 24, 2014, 01:57:09 PM
Yeah, Ariel Atoms are a huge pain in the ass to get street legal.  Also, they're $60k... used.  You can't get one for cheaper.  They're also impossible to find already assembled.

This could be an Ariel Atom that's <$20k, easy to register, and easy to find.  Being able to walk up and purchase one is a huge difference.

I love the Atom, but the only legal one in Canada is owned by a Toronto doctor and cost >$100,000.

hotrodalex

Payman

As for the KTM X-Bow...

The X-Bow will start at $88,500 for the base Street model. Stepping up to the Clubsport adds roughly the price of one XX bringing the price to $103,500; another $34,000 will get you into a X-Bow Superlight. At the top of the heap is the $139,000 GT4. However, those prices don't include an engine or transaxle, since the X-Bow is coming here as a kit car – that can be bought and installed for around $7900. All prices include airfreight and delivery charges to U.S. dealers. So unless you just want to put your X-Bow on display in your living room, starting prices actually start around $96,400, similar to what we expected.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/pricing-ktm-bow-released-starts-88500-36509.html#ixzz38PyceLmk

Payman

I'm beginning to worry it's going to cost Corvette money...  :(

FlatBlackCaddy

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on July 24, 2014, 02:03:05 PM
As for the KTM X-Bow...

The X-Bow will start at $88,500 for the base Street model. Stepping up to the Clubsport adds roughly the price of one XX bringing the price to $103,500; another $34,000 will get you into a X-Bow Superlight. At the top of the heap is the $139,000 GT4. However, those prices don't include an engine or transaxle, since the X-Bow is coming here as a kit car – that can be bought and installed for around $7900. All prices include airfreight and delivery charges to U.S. dealers. So unless you just want to put your X-Bow on display in your living room, starting prices actually start around $96,400, similar to what we expected.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/pricing-ktm-bow-released-starts-88500-36509.html#ixzz38PyceLmk

I would love a $20k legal Xbow  :cry:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on July 24, 2014, 02:19:15 PM
I would love a $20k legal Xbow  :cry:

This might be basically what you want :huh:

I'd prefer 4 wheels over 3, but close enough.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd rather have a 4 wheeled, single seater mid engined car with 250-300HP. Something like that would be nice for 25K.

Payman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 24, 2014, 02:50:43 PM
I'd rather have a 4 wheeled, single seater mid engined car with 250-300HP. Something like that would be nice for 25K.