Maybe about time to retire the Mustang

Started by Mustangfan2003, July 26, 2014, 01:18:22 PM

Mustangfan2003

So the car is a 2002 and I have about 174k miles on it.  Had the car get a little hot while sitting stuck in traffic.  This only happens in traffic and not traveling at highway speed.  Was going to fix the thermostat today along with the rack and pinion, brakes, and getting new tires.  On my way to the tire shop the fitting that the heater core hose goes into breaks.  Oh yeah I also need to get new shocks/struts and get an alignment on the car.   So yeah a shitty weekend. 

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Mustangfan2003

Beav

We fixed up our 99 Mustang GT a few years ago, I think we spent $1,600 or so on struts and brakes and such and a month later a tornado totaled it.
As much as I like Mustangs, it sounds like your car may have reached the "money pit stage".

Mustangfan2003

Also, it's due a paint job after years of having to park outside in the sun and dealing with tree sap.  I've considered maybe keeping the car and finding a 2nd car to commuting.  It would need to be new or close to new since I don't want to dump money into fixing 2 cars at the same time. 

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Mustangfan2003

hotrodalex

But you should strip it and race it.

Quote from: Beav on July 26, 2014, 01:33:20 PM
we spent $1,600 or so on struts and brakes and such and a month later a tornado totaled it.

Ouch...

Mustangfan2003

I might be hitting the $1,600 mark when it's all said and done.  I did order some Akebono pads and some new Powerslot rotors for the front.  They were expected to be here Friday but UPS had some delay with one of their trucks and now they won't be here till Monday.  I went ahead and bought the cheapest pads at Advance since my old pads were about shot.  Now since I can't go anywhere in the car I guess I can take those pads back and get my $25 back. 

12,000 RPM

Yea money pit stage. Cooling, brakes, suspension, tires, paint, you crossed the threshold long ago. I junked my last Accord with less issues. Sell it to a sucker and buy a Sentra
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

280Z Turbo

GoCougs

IMO the key to avoiding "money pits" is to fix stuff as it reaches the end of its service life, which is usually well before it brakes.

KBB says even a 2002 Mustang GT in "fair" condition with 174k is only worth ~$2,700. All the stuff listed above (brakes, tires, struts/shocks, radiator/cooling system, steering) if fixed professionally is going to be at least $2,000. 'Tis financially more prudent to roll the repair money into new(ish) car.

SVT32V

I Hope it isn't the heater core hose fitting at the firewall. Getting to the heater core in a fox/SN-95/new edge mustang is an extremely painful exercise.

If most of it is DIY, just get through it. The 4.6 is extremely robust in terms of longevity, as is the rest of the drivetrain.

Then again, you might be getting bored of it and want something new.

Mustangfan2003

Well I got the car running again.  Turns out the hose was attached to the intake manifold.  So new stuff I have on it include a new intake manifold, Cooper Zeon tires, rack and pinion, Powerslot rotors, Akebono pads, and a front end alignment.  Will likely have to do the rear brakes in another month or so and I also need to do new shocks and struts sooner or later.  After all this I might as well keep it till it gets to 200k and it will likely need new spark plugs by then. 

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on August 02, 2014, 03:54:32 PM
Well I got the car running again.  Turns out the hose was attached to the intake manifold.  So new stuff I have on it include a new intake manifold, Cooper Zeon tires, rack and pinion, Powerslot rotors, Akebono pads, and a front end alignment.  Will likely have to do the rear brakes in another month or so and I also need to do new shocks and struts sooner or later.  After all this I might as well keep it till it gets to 200k and it will likely need new spark plugs by then. 

:rockon:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Mustangfan2003

Drives like a totally different car as well.  Engine runs really good so it's possible that the intake might have had a problem for a while. 

AutobahnSHO

sounds like its time for an Italian tuneup
Will