Total US market up 5% YTD... ATS sales down 21%...

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 01, 2014, 03:00:01 PM

Galaxy

Quote from: SVT666 on September 05, 2014, 12:19:29 PM
"We are not German -- and that's a good thing.

I don't think I have ever been insulted by a car company before.   :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on September 05, 2014, 12:19:29 PM
With sales on the decline, General Motors' Cadillac division is devising new pricing a marketing strategies for its CTS sedan.

Launched late last year, critics have largely lauded the Cadillac CTS for its sharp handling, slick styling and well-appointed interior, but buyers have balked at a starting price that is $6,000 more than the outgoing model. As a result, CTS sales are down about 6 percent this year while the overall luxury market is up by 8 percent.

"While it may have been a terrific car, it may not have been perceived as having earned its stripes for that kind of pricing against the Germans," Autotrader senior analyst Michelle Krebs told Automotive News. "Cadillac has just not earned its way to charge the kind of premium that the Germans can get."

Cadillac isn't interested in lower the CTS' price, but the company is considering adding more standard content or offering some features like heated seats as stand-alone options.

"These are things that we can do relatively quickly," Uwe Ellinghaus, Cadillac's chief marketing officer, said.

Ellinghaus added that Cadillac will also be changing its marketing message early next year. Rather than comparing the brand to its German competitors, Cadillac will instead focus on its American roots.

"We definitely cannot build a brand on being as good as," Ellinghaus said. "We are not German -- and that's a good thing. We are American. We need to build this brand on what differentiates Cadillac from our German competitors."

Huh, that's funny, sounds a lot like what I was saying about Cadillac's strategy 2 years ago. But hey, what do I know.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

As soon as I read it, I thought, "Sporty is gonna love this"

12,000 RPM

I should have put money on it. Someone go fetch Mr. H, some Friday night gloating is in order.

SVT666

Personally, I think the styling of both cars is too bland, CUE is a nightmare, the 4 pot is coarse, and the pricing is too high.  Dynamically, they are great cars, but that's not enough in that category.

12,000 RPM

Dynamics don't matter at all in that category, outside of a base level of competence. GM went in completely the wrong direction... literally everything you listed were all things they should have prioritized over dynamics. And now they have to convince the market that these cars are something they aren't... a familiar GM refrain.

SVT666

I would love a last gen CTS but the centre console is a POS and squeaks in every corner.  I was already tired of it after my test drive.  The current car's styling is too bland and CUE is a nightmare.  Same goes for the ATS.  Cadillac needs to build lifestyle cars.  Give us in your face show car styling, like the Ciel.

GoCougs

The new CTS looks sharp - definitely best in class save for maybe the GS.

But like the ATS it's simply too expensive, or it needs to do and be more at Germanic pricing.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2014, 05:10:51 PM
The new CTS looks sharp - definitely best in class save for maybe the GS.

But like the ATS it's simply too expensive, or it needs to do and be more at Germanic pricing.

Funny, I totally agree with your best in class picks. Never thought I'd say the GS350 is my pick in its class.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

GM has let their chassis engineers start to play, time for the rest of the team to catch up.

veeman

I think they should steal a page out of Hyundai's playbook and offer long warranties and a certain guaranteed percentage of retail when they go to trade it in. People who buy these type of cars usually don't keep them for 10 plus years, particularly wealthy wives.

A 10 year power train and 6 year comprehensive warranty would get lots of people talking.

SVT666

Quote from: veeman on September 06, 2014, 12:12:44 PM
I think they should steal a page out of Hyundai's playbook and offer long warranties and a certain guaranteed percentage of retail when they go to trade it in. People who buy these type of cars usually don't keep them for 10 plus years, particularly wealthy wives.

A 10 year power train and 6 year comprehensive warranty would get lots of people talking.
GM would go bankrupt again just fixing everything.

AutobahnSHO

Will

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on September 06, 2014, 01:25:21 PM
GM would go bankrupt again just fixing everything.

The thing about Hyundai's 10-year warranty that most people aren't aware of is that it's non-transferable.  Only the first owner gets the 10 year/100K mile warranty.  Upon transfer or ownership, the warranty reverts to 3 yrs/36K miles.  You only get a factory warranty on a used Hyundai if you buy one that's new than 3 years and has less than 36K miles.  No reason Caddy couldn't do the same.  Few buyers in this segment keep their cars more than 4 years, and they wouldn't have to worry about covering used vehicles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on September 06, 2014, 01:32:07 PM
The thing about Hyundai's 10-year warranty that most people aren't aware of is that it's non-transferable.  Only the first owner gets the 10 year/100K mile warranty.  Upon transfer or ownership, the warranty reverts to 3 yrs/36K miles.  You only get a factory warranty on a used Hyundai if you buy one that's new than 3 years and has less than 36K miles.  No reason Caddy couldn't do the same.  Few buyers in this segment keep their cars more than 4 years, and they wouldn't have to worry about covering used vehicles.

Agree.  Also most people don't realize the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty only covers power train.  Bumper to bumper is I believe 5 or 6 year, 60 thousand mile.  Plus brake pads aren't covered. 

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on September 06, 2014, 01:32:07 PM

Doesn't it go to 5/50, not 3/36?

Byteme

First off, liking a car's styling is highly subjective.  Anybody think part a Cadillac's problem may be that their car's aren't very good looking?

Personally, if I were in the market in that segment I'd eliminate Cadillac based solely on the styling.  I think they are rather ugly.

(This may already be mentioned, I didn't plow through 5 pages worth of posts.)

12,000 RPM

Yea the ATS and CTS are incredibly dull, IMO.

They aren't ugly, per se, but they definitely aren't selling on looks.

I'm kind of blown away that with this hail mary opportunity, and the aesthetic conservativeness of the ATS and CTS' markets, GM decided to play it so safe. The segment needs a serious dose of style, and with no expectations or constraints I'm confused as to why Caddy didn't seize it. The ATS is OK but very anonymous... the CTS on standard wheels with the non sport suspension is bordering on ugly, with way too much metal to wheel, and wheel gap that would be awkward on a development mule.

"B-b-b-but they have the best ring times of the segment!" Lol.

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 07, 2014, 12:16:51 PM
Yea the ATS and CTS are incredibly dull, IMO.

They aren't ugly, per se, but they definitely aren't selling on looks.

I'm kind of blown away that with this hail mary opportunity, and the aesthetic conservativeness of the ATS and CTS' markets, GM decided to play it so safe. The segment needs a serious dose of style, and with no expectations or constraints I'm confused as to why Caddy didn't seize it. The ATS is OK but very anonymous... the CTS on standard wheels with the non sport suspension is bordering on ugly, with way too much metal to wheel, and wheel gap that would be awkward on a development mule.

"B-b-b-but they have the best ring times of the segment!" Lol.

Cadillac needs to quit trying to be the U. S. alternative to the Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or whatever and start being the best Cadillac they can be.  there is a difference between those choices.

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 08, 2014, 03:05:40 PM
eek maybe this will be a difference maker

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/cadillac-vows-self-driving-car-by-2016-%e2%80%94-but-industry-wants-legal-shield-first-172125123.html

Maybe they should work on making ignition switches that work properly and infotainment interfaces that are user friendly before venturing into something complicated like self-driving cars?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on September 08, 2014, 08:27:12 PM
Maybe they should work on making ignition switches that work properly and infotainment interfaces that are user friendly before venturing into something complicated like self-driving cars?

You read my mind.   ;)

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

MX793

Quote from: mzziaz on September 20, 2014, 02:53:01 AM
ooh, Maarp.

Wonder why he never made it here.

He registered here and posted a few times.  Just never stuck around.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on September 20, 2014, 05:00:13 AM
He registered here and posted a few times.  Just never stuck around.
I believe his comment was something about it being a bit juvenile :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2014, 05:35:22 AM

Uh doi....it's an Internet forum.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2014, 05:35:22 AM

Compared to...the C&D forums?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on September 20, 2014, 07:29:35 AM
Uh doi....it's an Internet forum.
Quote from: Submariner on September 20, 2014, 07:54:32 AM
Compared to...the C&D forums?
Bear in mind it was several years ago.  Most of the members have matured somewhat, since then. ;)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2014, 07:59:01 AM
Bear in mind it was several years ago.  Most of the members have matured somewhat, since then. ;)
I shouldn't have read that while I was drinking a soda.  I almost choked I was laughing so hard