New Jeep Cherokee is kicking ass

Started by veeman, August 07, 2014, 01:13:24 PM

Lebowski

Quote from: veeman on August 07, 2014, 05:19:06 PM

Naaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  If that were so, the Aztek would have sold well.  There's a difference between distinctive and cool looking and distinctive and ugly. 

This is ugly in an edgy, faddish way that I can see appealing to a certain demographic.

The Aztec was ugly in a cheap looking misproportioned kinda way.

Catman

As someone else mentioned.  If you look at this segment the Jeep is definitely a bit more "manly" and edgy.  I'd say the CX5 looks good but not in the same way as the Jeep. 

As far as the Aztec, the concept version did look much better. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 07, 2014, 01:58:05 PM
Haven't seen any in person.

I take that back.

Didn't look that bad, but it was tan. Gross.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2014, 12:15:10 PM
Lol this is what I just said. Nowhere did I say the Aztek was good looking, but it was the translation from concept to production that really killed it.

You make that sound entirely styling related

280Z Turbo

I don't think the concept of a tent on a car is a good idea anyway.

Soup DeVille

Aussies seem to think its awesome.

Probably has something to do with keeping the dingos out of the tent.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Catman

Its cool but hard to use your vehicle if the tent is attached to it.  I'm actually thinking about getting a Wrangler.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 08:07:38 AM
Its cool but hard to use your vehicle if the tent is attached to it.  I'm actually thinking about getting a Wrangler.

I've been playing around with the idea of getting a Wrangler too, just need to decide whether I can live with the cheap interior.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

hotrodalex

I haven't decided if I'd like a Wrangler or an FJ Cruiser more. Or if I want something a little bigger, like a Tahoe with a slight lift. Or if I want a truck bed instead of an SUV. In which case that Tacoma would be the front runner.

Catman

Quote from: Tave on August 09, 2014, 08:12:18 AM
I've been playing around with the idea of getting a Wrangler too, just need to decide whether I can live with the cheap interior.

I was in Montana last week and checked one out in Bozeman.  As far as it being cheap I was actually expecting that but I found the quality actually more than acceptable.  Plastic quality was pretty damn good, I could definitely live with it no problem!  There's some elements of the Wrangler that makes it seem cheap but most of it is due to the utilitarian nature of the vehicle like the doors.  They come off so you're going to see some paint inside and there's a nylon strap keeping them from opening too wide for instance.  Jeep is getting top dollar for Wranglers and it seems hard to get anything with a good amount of options for a good price but there's no other vehicle that you can cross shop.

Catman

Jeeps are like Harley's in that there is no end to the accessories out there to make them your own.  That makes for a fun vehicle to own and tinker with.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 08:20:58 AM
Jeep is getting top dollar for Wranglers and it seems hard to get anything with a good amount of options for a good price but there's no other vehicle that you can cross shop.

Especially since the top trims are usually Call of Duty trims.

Catman

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 09, 2014, 08:25:30 AM
Especially since the top trims are usually Call of Duty trims.

Would rather get the Sport S and upgrade whatever.

hotrodalex

Went to Jeep's site to build one and there's just too many options. Would take me a year to look at all of it and decide.

Catman

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 09, 2014, 09:06:42 AM
Went to Jeep's site to build one and there's just too many options. Would take me a year to look at all of it and decide.

I know its annoying.  I will probably just get one off the lot and add shit as I go.  I hadn't considered the Wrangler because I wouldn't be able to add a roof rack but then I found out that Thule makes a track kit.

Lebowski

Catman

SVT666

I've been toying with the idea of selling the Explorer and getting a Wrangler Unlimited. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 11:22:27 AM
What's not to like? :-)

Noise, gas mileage, rough ride, darty steering...

Not that any of it would stop me from buying another one, but if we're being honest, there are reasons.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Catman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 09, 2014, 12:39:22 PM
Noise, gas mileage, rough ride, darty steering...

Not that any of it would stop me from buying another one, but if we're being honest, there are reasons.

The unlimited rides decent enough.  Mileage same as my CX9.  From what I hear the interior in the new ones is quiet.  The darty steering I can't confirm yet.  Two guys at work that have them say its fine.  I'm sure its crappy compared to a rack & pinion.

hotrodalex

Unlimiteds don't have terrible steering. Not a sports car, but not as bad as a 60's boat.

Catman

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 09, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
Unlimiteds don't have terrible steering. Not a sports car, but not as bad as a 60's boat.

Is the 2 door one worse because of the short wheelbase?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 12:45:07 PM
The unlimited rides decent enough.  Mileage same as my CX9.  From what I hear the interior in the new ones is quiet.  The darty steering I can't confirm yet.  Two guys at work that have them say its fine.  I'm sure its crappy compared to a rack & pinion.

Recirculating ball steering is fine. It's the solid front axle that causes issues.

Catman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 09, 2014, 01:30:41 PM
Recirculating ball steering is fine. It's the solid front axle that causes issues.

Makes sense.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 01:07:55 PM
Is the 2 door one worse because of the short wheelbase?

Possibly, not sure. Have only driven the 4 door.

12,000 RPM

Ppl down here love Wranglers. Its like a good ol boy X5 or something. I dont get it, esp if you're not offroading (which most people here with them arent)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 12:45:07 PM

Base trim, it's not that bad. Add the 31 or 33 inch tires you want ( and I know you do) and it gets more noticeable.

I love these things, but lets be honest. It's a solid axle front and rear, BOF steel tub with a fiberglass top bolted on. There's only so much that can be done to improve its manners.

hotrodalex

Soup DeVille