New Jeep Cherokee is kicking ass

Started by veeman, August 07, 2014, 01:13:24 PM

Rupert

Quote from: SVT32V on August 10, 2014, 08:05:00 PM
Eh, there is nothing fun about driving an understeering fwd alfa either.

Driving in the wrangler is fun, top off, open view, much like an MGB was slow as shit but still fun to drive. Not everything has to hit apexes at ludicrous speed to be fun.

My former MGB with 50 year old tech was way more fun and way better to drive than a Wrangler with (apparently) modern tech. You also overstate the understeer in my former 164, but that doesn't actually matter, given the level of refinement in every additional metric compared to a Wrangler.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: SVT32V on August 10, 2014, 08:14:46 PM
OK, in its price range what else holds a candle to the JK?

Nothing, but it's irrelevant. There is almost no practical need for that level of ability, especially for 9/10ths of the people that buy them.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 08, 2014, 09:45:15 PM
Aussies seem to think its awesome.

Probably has something to do with keeping the dingos out of the tent.

Australians ride kangaroos to barbecues and then eat them.  Not that I can blame them, kangaroo is delicious.  But still, Australians are not the best metric to use. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2014, 11:05:02 PM
Nothing, but it's irrelevant. There is almost no practical need for that level of ability, especially for 9/10ths of the people that buy them.

One could say the same of any specialized vehicle, particularly high performance cars.  Big difference being that the Wrangler is much more affordable than the majority of ultra high performance cars, so you see more of them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Submariner on August 07, 2014, 09:55:00 PM
The Aztek, like everything GM of that era, was a shitbox.  A horribly designed car put together by the lowest common denominator of employable people. 

And they're still selling it, as a Buick.

As for the new Cherokee, it looks like a spaceage Kia.  I kinda dig it but then think "Lame!"
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 11, 2014, 07:38:22 AM
And they're still selling it, as a Buick.

As for the new Cherokee, it looks like a spaceage Kia.  I kinda dig it but then think "Lame!"

They're still selling the Rendezvous?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Quote from: SVT32V on August 10, 2014, 08:10:09 PM
Unlike the harleys that just make noise the iconic, the mustang and wrangler are actually good vehicles for their niche.

As for the psychobabble about socially acceptable-fight club nonsense, should I take that to mean that buying a VW beetle is just a socially acceptable way for a domesticated husband to compensate in light of wanting to live an alternative lifestyle?

The VW manual transmission beetle was very much the same kind of purchase for me as a Mustang or Wrangler would be for some middle aged guys in a minor mid life crises.  The current generation isn't really feminine looking and in black, it doesn't look feminine at all.  It's basically IMHO a very very cool looking cheap compact whose saving grace is the turbo TDI engine and 6 speed manual transmission. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on August 11, 2014, 09:23:22 AM

The VW manual transmission beetle was very much the same kind of purchase for me as a Mustang or Wrangler would be for some middle aged guys in a minor mid life crises.  The current generation isn't really feminine looking and in black, it doesn't look feminine at all.  It's basically IMHO a very very cool looking cheap compact whose saving grace is the turbo TDI engine and 6 speed manual transmission. 

As far as mid life crises go man, that's pretty lame.

It would be in your best interest to have another one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

It would have been better served by buying a Wrangler or Mustang?

veeman

Someone suggested I should do blow off a hookers titties.  Who says I haven't. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on August 11, 2014, 04:56:18 AM
One could say the same of any specialized vehicle, particularly high performance cars.  Big difference being that the Wrangler is much more affordable than the majority of ultra high performance cars, so you see more of them.
High performance cars' abilities add to road driving though, for the most part. My Z is no Miata, but 6/10ths in it is about 11/10ths in my wife's Rabbit. Meanwhile 6/10ths in my wife's Rabbit is probably 12/10ths in a Wrangler. For wat, exactly. If you really want to go offroad, why do it in a brand new $30K something or other, when u can get literally the same car for 1/8th-1/10th the price and not have to worry about warranties etc. Excess is excess I guess, but buying a vehicle that compromises on road performance for off road prowess to be driven primarily off road seems a lil silly to me.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 11, 2014, 10:51:17 AM
buying a vehicle that compromises on road performance for off road prowess to be driven primarily off road seems a lil silly to me.

not to me, unless you meant the opposite
Will

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on August 11, 2014, 04:56:18 AM

That's fair. I don't advocate for high power cars, either. However, even a high power car is fun to drive around at legal-ish speeds well below its maximum performance. A Wrangler drives like shit at all times. (And we're talking about cars a human can buy, not $300k supercars).

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2014, 02:16:55 PM
What year Explorer? Sub-model and miles? Cost? :lol:

Mine is a piece, I want a newer one.
2007 XLT with 105,000 miles (originally from Seattle) It's in great condition and very clean, and the leather is in really great shape.  It doesn't look like it has that many miles.  It has new A/T tires, both Class 2 and Class 3 hitches, Pioneer touch screen double DIN head unit, Alpine 5 channel amp, Infiniti Kappa speakers, and two 10" Rockford Fosgate subs.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 11, 2014, 10:51:17 AM
High performance cars' abilities add to road driving though, for the most part. My Z is no Miata, but 6/10ths in it is about 11/10ths in my wife's Rabbit. Meanwhile 6/10ths in my wife's Rabbit is probably 12/10ths in a Wrangler. For wat, exactly. If you really want to go offroad, why do it in a brand new $30K something or other, when u can get literally the same car for 1/8th-1/10th the price and not have to worry about warranties etc. Excess is excess I guess, but buying a vehicle that compromises on road performance for off road prowess to be driven primarily off road seems a lil silly to me.

You find a $3000 Wrangler and it'll have more problems on it than its worth.

The fact is that the Wrangler is still good enough on road to do what people who buy it want it to do, so any excess on road performance is more or less a moot point for them.

Besides the new ones aren't that bad.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on August 11, 2014, 01:16:35 PM
2007 XLT with 105,000 miles (originally from Seattle) It's in great condition and very clean, and the leather is in really great shape.  It doesn't look like it has that many miles.  It has new A/T tires, both Class 2 and Class 3 hitches, Pioneer touch screen double DIN head unit, Alpine 5 channel amp, Infiniti Kappa speakers, and two 10" Rockford Fosgate subs.

Not bad, not bad...

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on August 11, 2014, 01:20:54 PM
Not bad, not bad...
I just got a new solenoid pack for the transmission so the tranny is good for another 100,000 trouble free miles, and the engine hasn't given me a lick of trouble in the 4.5 years I have owned it.

Rupert

SVT666

AutobahnSHO

Just riding as passenger in a 10yr old Wrangler at 45mph I could tell it would suck to drive on the highway. Squirrelly like Georgia.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 11, 2014, 11:37:17 AM
not to me, unless you meant the opposite
Yea I meant on road. Nobody here is going rock crawling. An Outback wagon would be a better choice.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on August 11, 2014, 02:38:40 PM
Yes.

Pretty much the same as the one my folks have. I like it a lot. Hypothetically, what might you want for it?

SVT666

Honestly, I'm not interested in selling it because I won't be able to get enough for it to buy a Wrangler.  Wrangler's hold their value ridiculously well.  I'm gonna drive it till it dies.

Catman

They do hold their value and one of the reasons I want one

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on August 11, 2014, 03:38:18 PM
Honestly, I'm not interested in selling it because I won't be able to get enough for it to buy a Wrangler.  Wrangler's hold their value ridiculously well.  I'm gonna drive it till it dies.

Well, that's OK. I'm not interested in buying it, because if I'm spending that kind of cash on a car, it's going to be more interesting than an Explorer.

:lol:

Soup DeVille

As far as I'm concerned, people who judge the owners of Wranglers or pickups on the basis of " they'll never really use that/ they would have been smarter to buy something else" are exactly as bad as old ladies in Buicks who waggle their fingers at "those darn teenage hot rodders," or smug limousine liberals who bemoan he "excessive consumption" of Corvette owners while on their way to their summer home.

If its not what you like, that's cool; buy what you like. Don't worry about me.

Catman

Took a Wrangler on a good test drive and it's a great vehicle but I couldn't help but think I would get really sick of it pretty quick.  Drove a Trailhawk too.  Great vehicle, only complaint is the storage is tight.

SVT666

Lebowski

I know a few people with second/vacation homes that keep a wrangler there. I could see owning one in that role. It is a fun say beach car, can drive it top off, don't have to worry about sand and shit getting all over the interior etc.

I do think it would get old fast as a daily commuter.  I briefly considered it when I got the 4runner but dismissed it pretty quickly, didn't even test drive one.  I wanted something I could take on trips w/ longish highway drives and felt the lack of refinement would get old fast.