Selling a car - have people gotten more demanding these days?

Started by 2o6, August 11, 2014, 06:35:12 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2015, 10:59:31 AM
Not necessarily -- it could be that they would need the cash from that sale to buy the next car, and wouldn't want to be between cars for too long before the next one is purchased.

Or saving oneself from having to deal with selling a used car to the general public.

Laconian

Trades are more tax efficient too, at least in my state. You only pay sales tax on the transaction delta. So even if the dealer buys your $20k for a grand less than a private party would, you'd still be saving a grand if the tax rate is 10%.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Trades suck in this price bracket.

This guy kept trying to pass off this 2000 Civic Auto as a trade. It just popped up on CL with a blown head gasket.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on January 11, 2015, 04:09:04 PM
Trades are more tax efficient too, at least in my state. You only pay sales tax on the transaction delta. So even if the dealer buys your $20k for a grand less than a private party would, you'd still be saving a grand if the tax rate is 10%.

Right, forgot about that, basically get 9% return on the trade-in price. Not huge but it's enough to sway me.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2015, 10:59:31 AM
Not necessarily -- it could be that they would need the cash from that sale to buy the next car, and wouldn't want to be between cars for too long before the next one is purchased.

I've never seen a worthy trade offer for vehicles under $20-30k.