2015 Ford Edge

Started by Catman, August 17, 2014, 04:56:03 PM

r0tor

I only wish they would upgrade the awd on the Edge to at least Explorer level... the last couple gens were mediocre at best
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 93JC on August 17, 2014, 09:18:27 PM
I don't understand why Ford even makes the Edge anymore, given the Explorer. I would think they'd be going after the exact same customer base.

Meh. If they sell they sell, I guess.
murano vs pathfinder

Very different markets
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 18, 2014, 07:53:08 AM
murano vs pathfinder

Very different markets

Same body style, pretty much the same powertrain, almost the same size (Explorer is a few inches longer), pretty much the same price (the Edge and Explorer are about $1000 apart; the Murano and Pathfinder have a more substantial price difference); the only substantial difference is that one is available as a seven-seater and the other is not.

If you think people won't cross-shop a Ford Edge and a Ford Explorer you're smokin' crack.

SVT32V

Quote from: 93JC on August 18, 2014, 06:42:35 PM
Same body style, pretty much the same powertrain, almost the same size (Explorer is a few inches longer), pretty much the same price (the Edge and Explorer are about $1000 apart; the Murano and Pathfinder have a more substantial price difference); the only substantial difference is that one is available as a seven-seater and the other is not.

If you think people won't cross-shop a Ford Edge and a Ford Explorer you're smokin' crack.
I am sure the edge/explorer are x-shopped as are the murano and pathfinder. The fwd pathfinder has the same drivetrain as the murano, so no difference from edge/explo and they within several hundred dollars to less than $2000 in price.

Morono:
S
$28,530
S AWD
$30,320
SV
$31,620
SV AWD
$33,220
SL
$35,480
SL AWD
$37,080
LE
$37,970
LE AWD
$39,570

Pathloser:
S
$29,110
S 4WD
$30,710
SV
$32,300
SV 4WD
$33,900
SL
$35,250
SL 4WD
$36,850
Platinum
$39,950
Platinum 4WD
$41,550

Edit: In fact, the morono is 5 inches longer than the edge (while the pathfinder/explorer are the same length).
If anything the two nissan shits are closer than the ford nonsense.

SVT32V

And yes all 4 suck with the exception of the ecoboost TTV6 explorer, which is at least above average fast.

In this price range the smart money goes for the grand cherokee.

MX793

The Explorer is over a foot longer, 3 inches wider and 3.5 inches taller (the Edge has a fraction of an inch more ground clearance, so the height is all body).  That's A LOT bigger.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: SVT32V on August 18, 2014, 08:20:55 PM
And yes all 4 suck with the exception of the ecoboost TTV6 explorer, which is at least above average fast.

In this price range the smart money goes for the grand cherokee.
Hell yeah, but I would pony up for the Durango.

93JC

Quote from: MX793 on August 18, 2014, 08:42:17 PM
The Explorer is over a foot longer, 3 inches wider and 3.5 inches taller (the Edge has a fraction of an inch more ground clearance, so the height is all body).  That's A LOT bigger.

... than the old one.

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on August 19, 2014, 12:40:47 AM
Hell yeah, but I would pony up for the Durango.

If one needed a 3rd row no doubt, if not the grand is better and far more capable.

SVT666

Quote from: SVT32V on August 19, 2014, 05:24:10 PM
If one needed a 3rd row no doubt, if not the grand is better and far more capable.
The Durango is a lengthened version of the same truck. 

Raza

Is this a new car? It looks exactly like the old car with a new grille.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

veeman

The Ford Edge seems to be a cheaper version of the Lexus RX.  I haven't driven either.  I have to see more pics of it.  I didn't like the styling of the older one.  Seemed too wide for its length. 

SVT666

I really liked the one I drove, but I wanted the third row, so I bought an Explorer.

FoMoJo

I always thought the Edge appealed to a different demographic than the Explorer. 
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Catman

My wife has an RX and she loves it and it's typical Lexus, comfy, rides nice, performs well, decent technology and unoffensive styling.  But, its not an involving drive at all.  My CX-9 feels like a Miata in comparison.

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on August 19, 2014, 06:24:08 PM
The Durango is a lengthened version of the same truck. 

It is the same platform but lacks all of the useful Jeep drivetrain and suspension as well as clearance.

Yeah, it is the best 7 seater in the class and the one I would pick but the competition of pathfinders and explorers are not much to write home about.

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on August 17, 2014, 11:17:50 PM
Fuck me, you're being an asswipe.

The Edge is a midsize crossover that sells in decent numbers and is a different enough product than the Explorer and Escape

So they continue to fucking make it.

And it'll probably get a new Lincoln version, too.

Yes, the world needs that many versions of crossovers from the same manufacturer.  Obviously I'm not a crossover fan; to me there are just the modern iteration of station wagons, jacked up and bloated a bit.  Too big and ungainly for my tastes.

Having said that it does appear to be a fairly decent looking vehicle.   People buy these things by the train load; the parking lots at the malls are full of them.   If they buy them they might as well buy a Ford.

Lebowski

Quote from: 93JC on August 17, 2014, 10:44:44 PM

Even if I had phrased it "I think it's fucking stupid that Ford wasted their money replacing the Edge when they already build the Explorer" there would have been precisely the same response. I'm being a pugnacious cunt about it because he's done the same thing hundreds of times before.

While they don't break it out product by product, pretty certain the Edge is solidly profitable. So no, not a waste of money.

r0tor

Quote from: SVT32V on August 20, 2014, 07:22:49 AM
It is the same platform but lacks all of the useful Jeep drivetrain and suspension as well as clearance.

Yeah, it is the best 7 seater in the class and the one I would pick but the competition of pathfinders and explorers are not much to write home about.

Would that be the powertrain that blows up its left cylinder bank or the suspension that kills rear shocks every year or two?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT32V

Quote from: r0tor on August 20, 2014, 04:55:05 PM
Would that be the powertrain that blows up its left cylinder bank or the suspension that kills rear shocks every year or two?

Other than the diesel GC (which like 3 people actually buy) all of the other engines are shared between the two (hemi/V6) so no difference there.

Specifically the transfer cases/locking diffs/drive systems in the GC are not offered in the Durango.

Also the ground clearance is not stellar, and especially approach angle (16 degrees) is abysmal on the durango. The front valence won't make it over a slightly aggressive speed bump.