Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

If at first you don't succeed, it can't possibly be because your truck is too tall to fit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhk7m1SSmRs
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Oh my god. People are so dumb.

RIP Mom's Attic
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 30, 2021, 09:57:04 AM
Yes, the "fun" aspect is definitely something that sets it apart from a regular model.

In regards to range, my understanding is that EVs will drain their batteries on a racetrack (like the Nürburgring) after a "handful" of laps coupled with battery overheating issues and then of course long charging times to get them juiced up again.

I'm still thinking in terms of the overall comfortable convenience of an ICE engine.

ICE cars have dismal fuel economy on the track - they also can only go a handful of laps around the 'ring and all but performance models will overheat
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Not a big deal to put a fast charger at the track and charge it during the lunch break for those who need it. Track days aren't 8 hours of nonstop driving.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

EV tracks could be placed closer to civilization. Living near a track is misery for anybody in a 3 miles radius. Every weekend is just VRAAPPP VRAPPP VRAPPP. My parents discovered this after they finished moving @_@

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

If I wasn't so damned old, this...2021 Ford Bronco Sport...would be my next car.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

r0tor

I have seen a lot of bronco sports already around here... Meh
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

I like the Bronco Sport a lot more than the Escape.  I like it for the same reason I liked the 1st generation Escape:  it looks like an SUV and not an economy car experiencing an allergic reaction to shellfish or a bee sting.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I was going to say it really looks like an updated original gen Escape... Or I guess bronco 2

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2021, 07:36:04 AM
I like the Bronco Sport a lot more than the Escape.  I like it for the same reason I liked the 1st generation Escape:  it looks like an SUV and not an economy car experiencing an allergic reaction to shellfish or a bee sting.
The Bronco Sport is, basically, a sportier looking Escape, as it's based on the Escape platform, but with "sportier" options.  The "Badlands" with the 2.0 EcoBoost engine would be my choice.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on April 30, 2021, 10:18:36 AM
How many gasoline AMGs get used on a race track though? 1%? In real life the lawyer driving the AMG, uses his car to defeat the lawyer in the Audi RS at the traffic light.

In theory a regular EQS can do that with most current exotics. No need for an EV AMG if that's all that matters.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 30, 2021, 10:26:35 AM
I see no reason why peak output on an AC electric engine should have a material effect on range when driving at the same speed.

Unlike ICEs, the efficiency of an electric motor is largely constant at a wide range of loads.

Assuming we have a regular EQS and an AMG EQS - roughly the same weight. Wouldn't the AMG EQS with more horsepower need more electricity than the regular EQS assuming both cars are driven at the same speed on the same road at the same time in the same weather conditions and have the same tires etc.?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 01, 2021, 09:40:36 AM
Assuming we have a regular EQS and an AMG EQS - roughly the same weight. Wouldn't the AMG EQS with more horsepower need more electricity than the regular EQS assuming both cars are driven at the same speed on the same road at the same time in the same weather conditions and have the same tires etc.?

No.
Or perhaps- marginally at best, and what difference there is is a result of weight, not horsepower.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 01, 2021, 09:56:54 AM
No.
Or perhaps- marginally at best, and what difference there is is a result of weight, not horsepower.
Given the initial comparison regarding sameness as well as battery content and each driving at top speed until the batteries were depleted, would they each cover the same distance...presuming that the AMG got there a lot quicker?  Disregarding aero resistance.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2021, 10:07:41 AM
Given the initial comparison regarding sameness as well as battery content and each driving at top speed until the batteries were depleted, would they each cover the same distance...presuming that the AMG got there a lot quicker?  Disregarding aero resistance.

You can't disregard aero because that is far and away what consumes power when traveling at steady speed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2021, 10:29:33 AM
You can't disregard aero because that is far and away what consumes power when traveling at steady speed.
It's just a matter of determining the efficiencies of a more powerful electric motor vs one with less power.  I suppose it could be best done on a roller  dyno type setup with equal torque.

CaminoRacer

Bronco Sport is too frumpy and wannabe looking IMO. I'm always disappointed when I see one. Need the real Broncos to come out!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2021, 10:46:49 AM
It's just a matter of determining the efficiencies of a more powerful electric motor vs one with less power.  I suppose it could be best done on a roller  dyno type setup with equal torque.

Differences in electric motor efficiencies are pretty minimal.  A given 2 EVs of identical bodies (aero, weight, etc) but with differing power outputs, the cruising range should be effectively the same if you drive them on the same road at the same speed in the same conditions.  This is in contrast to 2 versions of the same car with different engines, where the one with the bigger engine will nearly always consume more fuel and have shorter range, all else equal.
Needs more Jiggawatts

shp4man

A battery stores a certain amount of energy. You can use it slowly or you can use it fast. A bigger electric motor will consume more energy if it's maxxed out than a smaller motor would maxxed out.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2021, 10:07:41 AM

No, the one which goes faster would use more watts/km.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

I finally got rid of the ridiculous fake exhaust tips and put some real ones on... So much better

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 01, 2021, 09:56:54 AM
No.

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2021, 10:56:07 AM
Differences in electric motor efficiencies are pretty minimal.  A given 2 EVs of identical bodies (aero, weight, etc) but with differing power outputs, the cruising range should be effectively the same if you drive them on the same road at the same speed in the same conditions.  This is in contrast to 2 versions of the same car with different engines, where the one with the bigger engine will nearly always consume more fuel and have shorter range, all else equal.

:ohyeah: :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: shp4man on May 01, 2021, 01:21:40 PM
. A bigger electric motor will consume more energy if it's maxxed out than a smaller motor would maxxed out.

But it will also regen more.

shp4man

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2021, 10:56:07 AM

The way I think about it is that achieving maximum output requires an ICE engine to basically throw its optimal air/fuel ratio out the window.

AutobahnSHO

LOL rainy this evening.

Light turns green, Impreza enters the crosswalk on the other side of the intersection before the cars in both lanes coming towards me cross the crosswalk on their side of the intersection....
Will

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 04, 2021, 09:59:52 PM
Craziness!!
https://www.thedrive.com/news/40408/ecuadors-downhill-soapbox-street-racing-is-verifiably-bananas

Mario Andretti started out as a young boy with his brother doing something similar in their village in Italy

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 04, 2021, 01:38:07 PM

The way I think about it is that achieving maximum output requires an ICE engine to basically throw its optimal air/fuel ratio out the window

Actually, ICE are most efficient at wide open throttle; which is why more powerful cars get worse mileage in general.