Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on May 12, 2021, 02:43:20 PM
Also, the whole family went from GM to Japanese cars and never looked back.

After owning a piece of crap Mercury' Lynx that was shot after 4 years, my parents went over to Japanese cars too.  That was the wra when the big 3 lost many customers for good.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on May 12, 2021, 02:37:13 PM
We had a 70's Pontiac Safari station wagon whose gigantic smogged V8 would always stall when you needed it most. Utter total POS, just absolute shite.

My worst memories were from the summer... sticky vinyl seats and chrome branding irons for seatbelt receptacles.

I remember the sticky vinyl seats with no air conditioning.  Seat belts weren't a problem for us since we shoved them down into the crack between the seats and never even thought about wearing them.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on May 12, 2021, 01:44:10 PM
My Dad is very weird about gas money and toll money.  Always has been.  He'll drive an extra hour to save $5 in toll.  And whenever he visits he tells me to fuel up in New Jersey because they have the cheapest gas (New Jersey is an hour from me).  I dunno what it is. Sort of an obsessive compulsive thing which was annoying 20 plus years ago but humorous now that he's close to 80 years old.

My dad sometimes got off the Connecticut Turnpike and drove around local streets to avoid the 25 cent toll that they had in Greenwich.  He also wouldn't keep his blinker going if he was waiting at a red light to turn since he didn't want to burn out the bulbs

MX793

Only thing I miss from 80s cars is velour.  A friend had an '82 Cutlass with overstuffed velour bucket seats that were like sitting in a La-z-boy.  I understand why so many drivers died peacefully in their sleep.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on May 12, 2021, 03:07:09 PM
Only thing I miss from 80s cars is velour.  A friend had an '82 Cutlass with overstuffed velour bucket seats that were like sitting in a La-z-boy.  I understand why so many drivers died peacefully in their sleep.

Ah, the Brannigan Edition?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on May 12, 2021, 03:07:09 PM

Velour was big in the 80s.  Velour shirts were big then too.

veeman

I was seriously thinking about getting aftermarket velour seat covers for my Crosstrek when I had it just for the novelty of it and I also had good memories of my uncle's Oldsmobile Delta 98 Regency which had dark blue velour seats.  I didn't do it though.  Probably a good thing. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: dazzleman on May 12, 2021, 03:05:12 PM
My dad sometimes got off the Connecticut Turnpike and drove around local streets to avoid the 25 cent toll that they had in Greenwich.  He also wouldn't keep his blinker going if he was waiting at a red light to turn since he didn't want to burn out the bulbs

LOLOLOLOL
Will

AutobahnSHO

I grew up in Fords- an LTD II then a big (Fairlane?) 7 seat station wagon. The Taurus wagon felt tiny in comparison- my dad bought a small trailer to put luggage in for trips.

Then they got a Honda and for their regular cars have been Honda for the longest time (right now have an older Accord and old Ranger).
Will

shp4man

1971 was the last year of anything cool from America till maybe 1989. of course, old farts like me are dying out. It won't always be so. It's funny, I have no issues with older stuff at all.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/encinitas-1924-ford-model-roadster/7320606770.html

The Desert Water bag really sets it off. Guess you have to live in the desert.  :lol:

FoMoJo

That's a lot of patina.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on May 12, 2021, 02:56:57 PM
The malaise era cars are much better on the screen than they were to own or drive.  I love classic cars but I would totally skip over that era and go back to the 1960s if I were to get one.  Cars from the 70s were crap in so many ways that the only way to really like one is to never have owned or driven one.

Think of it this way. They're like a cake! Yeah, it's not healthy and not good for you, but damn it, visually it looks so delicious!  :lol:

Quote from: MX793 on May 12, 2021, 02:58:07 PM
I guess I can understand how orderly straight lines and sharp angles would appeal to stereotypically German sensibilities.

You're definitely unto something here.  :tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on May 12, 2021, 10:58:40 PM
1971 was the last year of anything cool from America till maybe 1989. of course, old farts like me are dying out. It won't always be so. It's funny, I have no issues with older stuff at all.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/encinitas-1924-ford-model-roadster/7320606770.html

The Desert Water bag really sets it off. Guess you have to live in the desert.  :lol:

That's so cool.

My uncle has a model A.
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on May 12, 2021, 03:02:13 PM
I remember the sticky vinyl seats with no air conditioning. Seat belts weren't a problem for us since we shoved them down into the crack between the seats and never even thought about wearing them.
YUP!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

:lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IvlXHwVamE

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 17, 2021, 06:56:02 AM
:lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IvlXHwVamE

He acts like the Yugo never even existed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Why do people continue to give that man money
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 17, 2021, 08:08:32 AM
He acts like the Yugo never even existed.

Which is strange because he's reviewed a Yugo.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on May 17, 2021, 10:38:02 AM
Which is strange because he's reviewed a Yugo.

He's also reviewed a Trabant 601 - which I guess is so much better than a Geo Metro! :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1-4GsQa-g

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Can I feed all of Demuro's videos into a deepfake neural network and automate him out of a job?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 17, 2021, 05:10:57 PM
Can I feed all of Demuro's videos into a deepfake neural network and automate him out of a job?

The flappiest AI arms ever!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

This 2069 Toyota Camrocnn is the most psychadelic Chihuahua face you've ever driven

cawimmer430

The author predicts that microcars are making a comeback as EVs. All good, but the thought of not owning a car in the future scares me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIBf9LocuOw

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Holy Fuck! The future is gonna be so awesome! Spotted the 2045 Ford Mustang Bullitt in Munich!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

FoMoJo

For British "motor" enthusiasts...The greatest British car engines ever made

They had some wonderful years, still do on occasion.

I think that this is particularly noteworthy...

Mercedes-AMG 1.6 Hybrid

All current Formula 1 cars use 1.6-liter V6 engines paired with electric motors to form a hybrid powertrain. From the introduction of this requirement in 2014 until the end of 2020, the constantly developing Mercedes AMG system played a large part in the clean sweep of the Drivers' and Constructors' Championships and victories in 103 of the 140 Grand Prix races held during that period. It is still winning in 2021.

Although Mercedes is famously a German brand, the engines are British. They are designed and built by Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains (formerly Ilmor Engineering) in the Northamptonshire village of Brixworth.

Ilmore (Mario Illien/Paul Morgan), for those who don't know, were a couple of ex Cosworth engineers who decided to set up their own shop.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 19, 2021, 05:14:19 AM
Holy Fuck! The future is gonna be so awesome! Spotted the 2045 Ford Mustang Bullitt in Munich!

Gotta love the frunk.

JWC

Quote from: shp4man on May 12, 2021, 10:58:40 PM

One of my "uncle inlaws" inherited a Model T pickup that had been in Montana since new and had never been restored. It ran beautifully after my grandfather (his father inlaw) told him about how the steering wheel controls worked. He had been driving it a year without adjusting the spark advance.

It was also the last year for wooden spokes for a truck. He continued the tradition of driving it down to a crystal clear stream nearby and soaking the wheels in water to keep the spokes tight.

shp4man

cawimmer430

Got passed by a 1964-1968 Bizzarrini GT5300 Strada today. More pics in the Spotted Today post. According to Wikipedia this is one of only 133 built!!!  :mask:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizzarrini_Strada

Frigging awesome HOW DARE YOU engine sound.  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de