Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on August 10, 2021, 12:29:21 PM
In a hybid F1 engine there is a generator sitting between the hot and cold sides of the turbo that stores excess energy recovered from the exhaust in the battery pack rather than the turbo having a tradition bypass and blow off valve  .  The generator maximizes energy harvested out of the exhaust and minimizes the energy needed for the compressor which is a direct improvement on thermal efficiency.

Nope.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on August 10, 2021, 01:14:30 PM
For those who aren't cougs
https://youtu.be/kOhmgpkiIfg

Did you watch the first ~3 minutes? He is (accurately) describing an increase in mechanical efficiency - recovering energy from the exhaust to be dumped into the battery pack to be used later for mechanical work (= power electric motors, including for anti-lag (for performance), which he did not mention).

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on August 10, 2021, 05:48:25 AM
Higher TE means less fuel for every horsepower produced.  Fuel economy as far as fuel consumed per distance driven (or vice versa) depends on a host of other factors like aerodynamics, weight, gearing.  Motorcycles, for example, get much better fuel mileage than cars but their engines are no more efficient, thermally.  But, generally speaking, a more efficient engine (unit power per unit fuel) will result in a more efficient vehicle (unit distance per unit fuel).

You explain difficult things with such ease so idiots like me can understand. Thanks!  :cheers:

Quote from: GoCougs on August 10, 2021, 09:52:19 AM
Max theoretical for the Otto cycle is 40-45% (due to pumping losses (moving air through the engine), etc.). Add in practical considerations (i.e., how the spark ICE operates in the real world - valve train losses (compressing valve springs), bearing drag, etc.) and it drops to the max we know today (up to ~30%).

:ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

PHEVs seem to be getting a substantial bump in electric range.  Some new models are now 30+ miles.  They are really starting to get my attention.  I could see my wife in one and basically never need gas running all her errands and going shopping.

Previously for the extra cost and extra 500lbs you didn't exactly have enough electric range to do much of anything... seems like the value prospect is really changing.

Laconian

Still gotta take it in for fluid changes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Yea, but that's probably like 1x per year

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on August 10, 2021, 01:57:21 PM
Did you watch the first ~3 minutes? He is (accurately) describing an increase in mechanical efficiency - recovering energy from the exhaust to be dumped into the battery pack to be used later for mechanical work (= power electric motors, including for anti-lag (for performance), which he did not mention).

A combustion engine converts ~ 1/3 of the energy into usable power, 1/3 gets dumped into the coolant system, and 1/3 goes out the exhaust, reducing the loses of the energy lost via exhaust would be part of the thermal equation.

AutobahnSHO

I totally want a PHEV (for my 3rd car LOL). Work and back is about 40miles. Would be nice to not burn as much gasoline, but still have 'unlimited' range.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on August 12, 2021, 09:11:19 PM
A combustion engine converts ~ 1/3 of the energy into usable power, 1/3 gets dumped into the coolant system, and 1/3 goes out the exhaust, reducing the loses of the energy lost via exhaust would be part of the thermal equation.

Overall, yes. But as he said, that is no longer an entirely otto cycle engine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 13, 2021, 04:52:25 AM

Pretty sure that why "hybid" is used to describe a hybrid F1 engine and why the "Otto cycle" is irrelevant and why cougs is dead wrong that energy harvesting from the exhaust isnt improving thermal efficiency - which is what the original question asked.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on August 13, 2021, 05:27:00 AM
Pretty sure that why "hybid" is used to describe a hybrid F1 engine and why the "Otto cycle" is irrelevant and why cougs is dead wrong that energy harvesting from the exhaust isnt improving thermal efficiency - which is what the original question asked.

Actually, I was referring to the discussion before that.

In the F1 setup, they're using energy storage and mechanically putting it into a device then in turn using that to increase the thermodynamic efficiency. One could make both of your positions reasonably.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: Galaxy on August 12, 2021, 09:11:19 PM

A turbo setup that only powers a dynamo to charge batteries?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

r0tor

Quote from: Submariner on August 13, 2021, 09:42:13 AM
A turbo setup that only powers a dynamo to charge batteries?

The hot side powers a battery which then powers the cold side of the turbo plus other electrical loads.  That's called energy recovery and is the basis for improving thermal efficiencies

A standard turbo recovers energy in the same way, however it is limited in only recovering as much energy as the cold side wheel needs (at which point the waste fate opens and dumps the exhaust energy)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 13, 2021, 06:02:14 AM
Actually, I was referring to the discussion before that.

In the F1 setup, they're using energy storage and mechanically putting it into a device then in turn using that to increase the thermodynamic efficiency. One could make both of your positions reasonably.

Yes, it's getting into semantics. Not worth arguing about.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 13, 2021, 04:52:25 AM

I would agree that one can push the argument to far.

Apropos: My furnace has an energy efficiency on paper of 105%, since they are adding the energy of the condensation of water in the exhaust. I asked the guy who installed it how much natural gas I can expect to harvest per month, and he looked at me like I am an idiot. I did start to question his competency that he did not immediately understand my point about the ridicules numbers. The actual efficiency is going to be more like ~ 98% in terms of turning gas into heat. 

CaminoRacer

Some dumb local city councilman's platform includes this:
"I am against the (#20isPlentySLC) effort because I believe that it will increase pollution by forcing cars to run in 2nd gear since the expected shift to 3rd, generally, is at 22MPH."

I haven't driven a single car made after 1990 that would hold 2nd gear at 20 mph steady cruising. Most cars will shift into ~4th as soon as you stop accelerating.

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 18, 2021, 09:34:47 AM
"I am against the (#20isPlentySLC) effort because I believe that it will increase pollution by forcing cars to run in 2nd gear since the expected shift to 3rd, generally, is at 22MPH."

I haven't driven a single car made after 1990 that would hold 2nd gear at 20 mph steady cruising. Most cars will shift into ~4th as soon as you stop accelerating.

His statement was dumb and misinformation almost always hurts your cause. If he really wanted to fight against the push for a 20mph speed limit he should use Sweet Streets own words against them.

QuoteSweet Streets is calling on the Salt Lake City Council and Transportation Division to enact a 20 mph limit on streets that include places where people live, work, play, shop or attend school or worship, with timely emphasis on routes connecting with schools and neighborhood byways.

That pretty much includes every street in Salt Lake City except for the freeways. They are going to have to reach for a more realistic goal if they have any hope of success.

Speed_Racer

:facepalm: Who are these people

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 18, 2021, 11:05:21 AM
His statement was dumb and misinformation almost always hurts your cause. If he really wanted to fight against the push for a 20mph speed limit he should use Sweet Streets own words against them.

That pretty much includes every street in Salt Lake City except for the freeways. They are going to have to reach for a more realistic goal if they have any hope of success.

Yeah, that's a legit argument and I wouldn't want 20 mph everywhere. Some select areas should probably be 20, but not the whole city. No need to freak out about 2nd gear. :lol:

cawimmer430

1984 Ford Telstar 2.0 TX-5 Liftback! My parents owned one of these when I was a kid and I remember how at the time I thought it was such a cool-looking car. Ours was a light shade of metallic brown and was LHD. I remember it also had the digital speedometer (seen towards the end of this video) which to my knowledge was limited to the TX-5 model. This is a pretty obscure car which was built for the Australian market on the Mazda 626 platform and probably made its way to a handful of surrounding nations.

My parents owned this car in the Philippines. When I was a kid I remember seeing these (and the sedan version) all over the place there. This (and perhaps Taiwan) were the only markets in which you could get a LHD Ford Telstar!

I never got to drive the car since my parents sold it before I turned 16, but I remember once sitting on my dad's lap behind the wheel and he allowed me to steer it - and I could not since it didn't have power steering and I wasn't a strong kid! Ah, memories!  :wub:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyRk9b_VHwQ

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

UGH Almost my entire hometown is 20mph. A few main streets are 30mph. (Ones with stop lights). It is SO SLOW to get across town when the main road is 20mph, but it's still a pretty small town so doesn't take forever.

The BIGGEST issue is that 20mph is AUTOMATICALLY A SCHOOL ZONE in Wyoming so you get a ticket almost anywhere even if there's no school it's stupid expensive.

When we visit home it's just so very very painful. And when you go driving anywhere else it feels like light speed, TOOOOO FAAAAST LOL.
Will

cawimmer430

One of my neighbors got this old Volkswagen T3 van, ex-Munich firefighter vehicle. I see him working on the engine almost everyday.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

A Wasserboxer?

This is its natural habitat.

CALL_911

Did you guys know they still sell the FJ Cruiser new in Saudi Arabia?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rich

I did not.  Bananas
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 19, 2021, 09:44:17 AM
A Wasserboxer?

This is its natural habitat.

If I remember correctly some of the early engines for these were air-cooled, were they not? Too lazy to check Wikipedia... :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

OMG, I so need this in my life! 1:18th scale Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 W116.  :wub:

https://www.norev.com/de/archiv/8544-mercedes-benz-450-sel-69-1976-green-metallic.html

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 19, 2021, 03:24:24 PM
If I remember correctly some of the early engines for these were air-cooled, were they not? Too lazy to check Wikipedia... :lol:

They were; but that one clearly has the grille for the front radiator.

Most of the wasserboxers in the US have long ago been converted to type-4 aircooled engines. I don't know if that's an option in Germany or not.