Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

r0tor

We should just start a bogus EV car company with this premise and roll with it... I mean it's not that hard to show a bunch of tenders and claim it will be available in a few years
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: JWC on September 02, 2021, 02:37:33 PM
Didn't GM propose a vehicle with an interchangeable chassis a few years ago?

Yeah, the Autonomy.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Standardized battery pack is akin to standardized engines. Firstly, left to their own devices, automakers would never do it for competitive reasons. Secondly, technically it would be a huge task - not only is it (currently) a structural element of the chassis (thus it affects anything from exterior design to safety), a "battery pack" is (currently) associated with proprietary stuff like monitoring sensors, on-board charger, and charging algorithms.

The value and environmental advantages of EVs are dubious, and standardization will only make things worse. Let the automakers try and figure things. It's been 120+ years of trying, and EVs are still not close to equivalency to ICE-powered vehicles, so there's no magic pill here. It will be a long, expensive (and questionable IMO) slog to see how far EVs can be taken.

JWC

Quote from: Laconian on September 02, 2021, 08:21:26 PM
Yeah, the Autonomy.

Yep, after your post I could find it. I thought it was a pretty good idea.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on September 03, 2021, 10:00:26 AM
Standardized battery pack is akin to standardized engines. Firstly, left to their own devices, automakers would never do it for competitive reasons. Secondly, technically it would be a huge task - not only is it (currently) a structural element of the chassis (thus it affects anything from exterior design to safety), a "battery pack" is (currently) associated with proprietary stuff like monitoring sensors, on-board charger, and charging algorithms.

The value and environmental advantages of EVs are dubious, and standardization will only make things worse. Let the automakers try and figure things. It's been 120+ years of trying, and EVs are still not close to equivalency to ICE-powered vehicles, so there's no magic pill here. It will be a long, expensive (and questionable IMO) slog to see how far EVs can be taken.

Regulation could create a standard form factor. Or if you have a situation where there is one wildly successful incumbent and a lot of other companies fighting for scraps, the other companies could band together and form a consortium.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 03, 2021, 01:19:26 PM
Regulation could create a standard form factor. Or if you have a situation where there is one wildly successful incumbent and a lot of other companies fighting for scraps, the other companies could band together and form a consortium.

The second is what usually happens.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 03, 2021, 01:25:14 PM
The second is what usually happens.

It happens all the time in the PC industry.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on September 03, 2021, 01:19:26 PM

Well, you know me, I think regulation is always a bad idea!

Just imagine if ICEs were standardized across auto makers - it would have been a catastrophe WRT innovation, both in the ICEs themselves and vehicles in general (since akin to a battery pack, an ICE is integral to both the chassis and operation).

If automakers want to form some sort of consortium, sure, by all means, if it's voluntary. Any industry has some precedent for voluntary participation is groups and technology sharing, and the auto industry is no different (SAE, ISO, CAN bus, etc.).

I think the ICE is the analog here - extremely difficult to standardize across automaker, and would be ginormous detrimental if attempted.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 03, 2021, 10:00:26 AM

No battery packs are not stressed members in the chassis.  They all basically have the same sensors, CTs, PT's, and temp.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on September 03, 2021, 04:50:22 PM
No battery packs are not stressed members in the chassis.  They all basically have the same sensors, CTs, PT's, and temp.

The battery pack is a structural element as I had stated, which means it has both major mass and geometry (and thus by definition, stress), and as such is a primary design factor for the chassis - stiffness, crash protection, NVH, handling, ID, etc.

Any sort of sensor needs the appropriate measurement system = proper algos, filtering, update rates, resolution, etc., which will vary between pack designs.

Automakers need to first work on getting EVs as reliable, cost effective, useful (i.e., range and charging networks) and profitable as ICE vehicles before even thinking about any sort of meta universal battery pack design exercise (and that is exactly what is happening).

Laconian

NVH? Really? There ought to be far fewer dynamic concerns with something like a _battery pack_ versus anything you'd have in a ICE drivetrain.

The pack becomes yet another constraint for the engineers to design around. Not any harder than e.g. producing high performance variant of a car with 2 extra cylinders.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on September 03, 2021, 06:25:17 PM
NVH? Really? There ought to be far fewer dynamic concerns with something like a _battery pack_ versus anything you'd have in a ICE drivetrain.

The pack becomes yet another constraint for the engineers to design around. Not any harder than e.g. producing high performance variant of a car with 2 extra cylinders.

Absolutely. A 1000-1500 lb thing that size bolted into a vehicle chassis? Hell, yes, that will be its own thing, with all sorts of static and dynamic behavior, that will affect chassis NVH and all sorts of other things.

It will never happen if battery packs remain remotely close to their current size and weight.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on September 03, 2021, 09:17:19 PM
Absolutely. A 1000-1500 lb thing that size bolted into a vehicle chassis? Hell, yes, that will be its own thing, with all sorts of static and dynamic behavior, that will affect chassis NVH and all sorts of other things.

Those are issues with all battery packs though, standardized or not?

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on September 03, 2021, 09:38:40 PM

Anything with mass and a non-infinite stiffness is going to be a potential consideration for NVH.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

No doubt, my point was those same issues exist regardless of whether the battery pack was produced in house or sourced from a third party using a common spec.

And there will certainly be standardization within companies, so it's not like each pack will be a bespoke unit made for the unique needs of the car. Nope, you'll reach for the GM shared battery module #2921.

But I do suppose supporting swappable batteries would come at a cost to the surrounding structure, which was mentioned earlier.

Laconian

(BTW I am out of my league in this area so thank you for BSing)

Soup DeVille

yes, but a permanently installed pack can be bolted down tight, or isolated on rubber bushings, or what have you: Something that slides in and out, that gets a little trickier.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

The Bolt's battery pack can be swapped in 2 hours. Wouldn't that be plenty quick enough for the usage you guys are talking about? Because you're just talking about swapping packs every once in a while, not something like swapping batteries instead of recharging on a roadtrip.
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

GoCougs

But sometimes (maybe all the time) the best answer is to change the design of the structural element (battery pack) to meet whatever criteria.

I do some CAD/FEA design, but am no means an expert but know as much that legit mechanical engineering of structures is quite sophisticated - from a bridge to jetliner fuselage to vehicle chassis - because nothing is perfect, and sometimes "perfect" or nearly perfect (as in perfectly stiff) is a really bad idea.

If battery packs get to the size of an ICE, that's a bit more viable, because as we've seen automakers can (sorta) standardize ICEs across its own platforms (i.e., the GM LS V8 was used in near-countless vehicles, but even then, no LS was a 100% direct swap across platforms - truck vs. sedan vs. Camaro vs. Corvette).

From what I can tell, even Tesla doesn't standardize battery packs across its platforms.

Laconian

I saw a 2022 BMW M3 in a dark forest green. Truly one of the ugliest cars I've seen in recent memory. My reaction was initially visceral and somewhat confused: "what IS that thing?" At the point I was able to take in the details (and lord, is it overdone) and I realized it was a BMW. Hilarity. The grilles are bad enough, but the black plastic orthodontia that hang out of every oriface just makes things so much worse.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on September 04, 2021, 12:33:03 PM
I saw a 2022 BMW M3 in a dark forest green. Truly one of the ugliest cars I've seen in recent memory. My reaction was initially visceral and somewhat confused: "what IS that thing?" At the point I was able to take in the details (and lord, is it overdone) and I realized it was a BMW. Hilarity. The grilles are bad enough, but the black plastic orthodontia that hang out of every oriface just makes things so much worse.
Nobody wants to be seen in something that looks like a badger's ball sack. Somebody at BMW isn't thinking.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

Introducing the world's most complex air-conditioning controls ever!  :tounge:

This is embarrassing but I have honestly no idea how to properly use the A/C in my dad's '89 500SL. The blower speed is easy, the winter symbol activates the cooling but then there's the red and blue button between the top most air vents which also play a role in the system. This car is usually driven top down for short journeys only, so there's no need for the A/C system to be used.

One thing I've noticed (and maybe I am doing something wrong), the cooling factor is a joke. At max blower speed and at the coldest setting the air is not really cold and man, this system is LOUD. The air whines when blown out and the A/C system is just loud - even at a fan setting of 1. Ah, late 1980s luxury.  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

If it doesn't blow cold (and you're using the system correctly), the refrigerant may need a recharge.  Given the car's age, it's probably using a CFC refrigerant that has since been banned, so recharge will probably be $$$.  Conversion is usually possible, but also $$$.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Do Euro refrigerants mirror the US?
In '89 in the US it would have been R-12, which is apparently like napalm for the ozone layer, and is worth its weight in gold today. But, converting over to R134a is relatively easy- except that's going to be banned soon too, but will be available for older systems for a while.

r0tor

The EU is way ahead of the US with refrigerants.  R134a is already on its way out there.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on September 08, 2021, 08:12:01 AM
If it doesn't blow cold (and you're using the system correctly), the refrigerant may need a recharge.  Given the car's age, it's probably using a CFC refrigerant that has since been banned, so recharge will probably be $$$.  Conversion is usually possible, but also $$$.

Just went for a drive with my dad and the 500SL and showed him the cooling issue. He knows how to operate the A/C and also wondered why the air is not being cooled. Luckily we have our "personal mechanic" who also owns an R129 300SL and handles the basic maintenance on my dad's 500SL. It's probably a refrigerant issue because IIRC this car needs some kind of liquid for the A/C to cool the air.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 08, 2021, 08:29:04 AM
Do Euro refrigerants mirror the US?
In '89 in the US it would have been R-12, which is apparently like napalm for the ozone layer, and is worth its weight in gold today. But, converting over to R134a is relatively easy- except that's going to be banned soon too, but will be available for older systems for a while.

Knowing the EU, they banned this stuff ages ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgq-vBA-THg

Link: https://eia-international.org/news/we-expose-illegal-refrigerant-trade-in-europe-the-biggest-eco-crime-no-ones-heard-of/

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Today's rip-off fuel bill. 40.9 liters for 69.10 Euros.

For my American friends, that's 10.8 US gallons for $81.60 (1.689 Euros per liter = $7.56 per US gallon).

Absolutely f*cking insane and a total rip off. 3/4 of the fuel price here is comprised of four f*cking taxes. FOUR GOD DAMN TAXES.  :banghead:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Time to get an EV!
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Laconian

Germany's gotta pay for its amazing glassy 500kph roads somehow. :huh:

If you've driven to Belgium and experienced the wonder of their roads, just keep in mind that our roads in the USA are like five times worse.

SJ_GTI