Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Morris Minor

In which someone struggles with their highway merging technique.

https://youtu.be/ty8yUVpbSm8
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 03, 2023, 07:04:25 PM

I watch a LOT of car crash videos, and I've NEVER seen that type before (coming in too hot).
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 03, 2023, 07:04:25 PM

Okay, besides the initial accident- which is nuts: I can't believe how many people simply drove through the total blackout smoke cloud- like that could be a nasty pileup on the other side.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Dude driving the truck sure got lucky on that one.  Wah.

Morris Minor

Look at the car emerging from under the bridge at 23 sec. This was technically a fiery Tesla-involved crash. 
https://youtu.be/ty8yUVpbSm8?t=23

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 03, 2023, 07:13:35 PM
Okay, besides the initial accident- which is nuts: I can't believe how many people simply drove through the total blackout smoke cloud- like that could be a nasty pileup on the other side.

Right?
Will

RomanChariot

I'm sure the cars going under the bridge at 10sec enjoyed the raining down diesel fuel.

AutobahnSHO

Just for fun I looked up the claimed 0-60mph times for our cars.

Maverick 7.7sec
Odyssey 7.65sec
Miata 7.9sec

Pretty close! Yet the driving experience is different in each one. Odyssey you just punch it and feel more torque pulling that big big trunk, with VEEEETEC!!!!! kicking in at 4k RPMs. The Miata you try to shift as quick as possible, working like crazy to maximize that high-revving little motor. MAV is pretty quiet in the cabin and you just feel it going- that 2.5L Atkinson pushing as hard as possible while the battery pack gives all it can...

Still that's a pretty funny similarity! :lol: 
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Obviously you need three drivers and an abandoned airstrip to do a proper test.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 04, 2023, 09:29:40 PM
Just for fun I looked up the claimed 0-60mph times for our cars.

Maverick 7.7sec
Odyssey 7.65sec
Miata 7.9sec

Pretty close! Yet the driving experience is different in each one. Odyssey you just punch it and feel more torque pulling that big big trunk, with VEEEETEC!!!!! kicking in at 4k RPMs. The Miata you try to shift as quick as possible, working like crazy to maximize that high-revving little motor. MAV is pretty quiet in the cabin and you just feel it going- that 2.5L Atkinson pushing as hard as possible while the battery pack gives all it can...

Still that's a pretty funny similarity! :lol: 
Like your Honda, the G37's variable valve-lift/timing gives a quite a noticeable push higher up the rev range. I enjoy letting it stretch its legs now & then. You think its accelerating pretty well even at about 3/4 throttle, then you get that extra push when the speed is well into "I'm sorry officer" territory.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 05, 2023, 05:41:09 AM
Like your Honda, the G37's variable valve-lift/timing gives a quite a noticeable push higher up the rev range. I enjoy letting it stretch its legs now & then. You think its accelerating pretty well even at about 3/4 throttle, then you get that extra push when the speed is well into "I'm sorry officer" territory.

As soon as I turn the key, TUNDRA goes into "I'm sorry Al Gore" territory.

MrH

[

I never really looked at it.  Kind of surprised by the results.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

BRZ is quicker than I thought. But it looks like ND Miatas are in the 5.7-5.8 range too, quicker than I thought.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 05, 2023, 09:03:20 AM
BRZ is quicker than I thought. But it looks like ND Miatas are in the 5.7-5.8 range too, quicker than I thought.

They're all pretty close. S2000 was right there in the 5.6, and 14.2 range too.  You need to absolutely abuse the clutch in a way that I wasn't willing to do though.

I'm shocked the Bolt EUV is right in line with the RDX.  It feels way more responsive, but I thought the RDX would walk away from it in the 1/4 mile.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

I guess TUNDRA is slow with 0-60 in 6.0. Unthusiast. :pee:

Morris Minor

I remember, when I still lived in the UK, how the sports sedan I lusted over was the mid-70s BMW 3.0Si (E3): 200 hp, 0-60 in 7.2 sec. That was a rocket ship for a 4-door sedan.
7.2 sec is meh nowadays.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 05, 2023, 11:50:21 AM
I remember, when I still lived in the UK, how the sports sedan I lusted over was the mid-70s BMW 3.0Si (E3): 200 hp, 0-60 in 7.2 sec. That was a rocket ship for a 4-door sedan.
7.2 sec is meh nowadays.

Yeah, it's pretty wild! In 1989 the fastest FWD car in the world was good for 6.7sec. Taurus SHO, 220hp.
Will

MrH

This will sound really unenthusiast, but honestly, 7 sec 0-60 is plenty for commuting.  How often do I even bury the throttle in the Bolt or RDX while driving around normally?  Once a week at best?

Sports cars will get the old italian tune up every time, but that's mostly due to a manual transmission and excitement.

But for commuting in traffic, especially with EVs, I don't see the need for absurd speed.  Even the EV6, I would be much more likely to get the spec that Kevin did (320 hp, AWD), then the GT (570 hp).  Matt Farah keeps bringing up this point, but I think he's spot on: with EVs, they all feel the same to some degree at certain speeds.  An EV6 super fast version is going to feel exactly the same as the slower ones at anything less than half throttle, which will be 99% of your driving.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 05, 2023, 02:36:24 PM
Yeah, it's pretty wild! In 1989 the fastest FWD car in the world was good for 6.7sec. Taurus SHO, 220hp.

I still remember test driving an old beat up one and the throttle got stuck wide open in second gear. It felt like a rocket at the time.

Rich

I can't even let er rip in my 8 sec 0-60 car.  85% of the time there's someone in front of me using all 21hp of their truck/SUV with 300hp
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Can't remember the last I wanted/needed to full-throttle a vehicle. Probably not since the A4 days when I had a manual and was out of first gear...never drop-clutch started that thing.

Not sure I ever floored the Old Taco, and certainly haven't floored the new Taco.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on April 05, 2023, 05:15:00 PM
I can't even let er rip in my 8 sec 0-60 car.  85% of the time there's someone in front of me using all 21hp of their truck/SUV with 300hp

THIS. People are scared of curves, scared of corners, scared of circles, scared of lights, scared of anything but a straight road or a traffic light about to turn red.....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 05, 2023, 05:19:08 PM
Can't remember the last I wanted/needed to full-throttle a vehicle. Probably not since the A4 days when I had a manual and was out of first gear...never drop-clutch started that thing.

Not sure I ever floored the Old Taco, and certainly haven't floored the new Taco.

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

:thumbsup:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

I need 381 HP because my entire commute has a 30 MPH speed limit.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on April 05, 2023, 05:15:00 PM

The freeway on ramps have metering stoplights during the evening rush hour here, so I can floor it some days if the traffic isn't heavy but the lights are on

r0tor

I like hearing both my cars sing so they get exercised regularly.... The grand Cherokee in no way shape or form has ever wanted to or encouraged anyone to be pushed hard.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 05, 2023, 06:04:04 PM
THIS. People are scared of curves, scared of corners, scared of circles, scared of lights, scared of anything but a straight road or a traffic light about to turn red.....
I see people literally brake to a crawl before entering an uphill curve - just terrified.

Laconian

It's getting more popular to just come to a stop in the middle of the road for no reason. It seems like bad driving is a contagious meme.

I had no less than three cars almost meander into mine during my road trip. Look over, the driver is literally texting with both hands.

The shittiness of other drivers more than anything is kindling my unthusiasm. Makes me want to go Dutch with big safe bike lanes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 06, 2023, 12:52:38 AM
I see people literally brake to a crawl before entering an uphill curve - just terrified.

Lol People drive 80+ here and don't slow down much for curvy mountain roads.

But last time I was in North Carolina someone came to a dead stop at the end of the on ramp. That was fun to accelerate 0-60 to merge with no ramp left. The south is apparently very different than the west

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on April 06, 2023, 11:37:35 AM
It's getting more popular to just come to a stop in the middle of the road for no reason. It seems like bad driving is a contagious meme.

I had no less than three cars almost meander into mine during my road trip. Look over, the driver is literally texting with both hands.

The shittiness of other drivers more than anything is kindling my unthusiasm. Makes me want to go Dutch with big safe bike lanes.

I would ride a bike if there was a bike path, but not a lane. As it is, there is just a 3-inch shoulder, which is suicide here. I can't even ride a motorcycle here without feeling suicidal.