Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 06, 2023, 12:10:32 PM
I would ride a bike if there was a bike path, but not a lane. As it is, there is just a 3-inch shoulder, which is suicide here. I can't even ride a motorcycle here without feeling suicidal.

One time I came around a blind corner on a 55-mph road with like 6-8" of paved shoulder to a group of those dinguses on those cross-country ski style rollerblade things skating two abreast. The fuck are you thinking.

Pick. A. Different. Road.  Plenty of options with full 8' foot shoulders.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 06, 2023, 12:14:53 PM
One time I came around a blind corner on a 55-mph road with like 6-8" of paved shoulder to a group of those dinguses on those cross-country ski style rollerblade things skating two abreast. The fuck are you thinking.

Pick. A. Different. Road.  Plenty of options with full 8' foot shoulders.

And I almost took out a group riding at least five abreast around a blind turn on a dirt road last summer. Good thing my reflexes were better than theirs. I think one guy fell over, but I kept going. Idiots.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 06, 2023, 11:58:11 AM
Lol People drive 80+ here and don't slow down much for curvy mountain roads.

But last time I was in North Carolina someone came to a dead stop at the end of the on ramp. That was fun to accelerate 0-60 to merge with no ramp left. The south is apparently very different than the west

People are DUMB. We have a very long, downhill merge onto 70mph interstate, you couldn't ask for better visibility or straightness. And people brake at the end, too. If they stopped I'd probably back up and wait for them to clear, no point in risking dying....
Will

r0tor

I enjoy the badass people doing 75mph in a 55mph on the interstate, come to a turn on the interstate that could probably be taken at 120mph and start braking for it...

...if you are that uncomfortable with a slight turn at speed then slow the f down!!!  WTF are you going to do if you have to avoid something.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 06, 2023, 02:34:45 PM
I enjoy the badass people doing 75mph in a 55mph on the interstate, come to a turn on the interstate that could probably be taken at 120mph and start braking for it...

...if you are that uncomfortable with a slight turn at speed then slow the f down!!!  WTF are you going to do if you have to avoid something.

They end up in my front yard

r0tor

Good day for car spotting I guess... I saw a 991 GT3RS parked next to a 993 Turbo.  A friend spotted an R34.

Lol, the 991 looked like a bloated whale next to the 993
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Came across a receipt under somebody's seat from an oil-change place......$74.99 for an oil change?!?

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 10, 2023, 11:11:10 AM
Came across a receipt under somebody's seat from an oil-change place......$74.99 for an oil change?!?

Full synthetic, I hope?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on April 10, 2023, 11:21:55 AM
Full synthetic, I hope?

Yup, plus another $14 for an extra 1.5 quarts because the $74.99 only covers 5 quarts and this engine takes 6.5.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 10, 2023, 11:11:10 AM

That's what our synthetic OC costs. More if over 5 quarts and more if a special filter.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 10, 2023, 12:14:29 PM
That's what our synthetic OC costs. More if over 5 quarts and more if a special filter.

I can see that for an independent shop.  Just seems high for a chain that only does oil changes.

But...people will pay it, so.  Make dat money, I guess. :huh:

CaminoRacer

That's why I change my own oil. $35-40 for full synthetic and a good filter. There's places that will do it for the same or less but probably with lower quality oil/filter
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

I think my Alfa/Jeep dealer charges ~$200 for an oil change... Mostly though because there are about 30 bolts holding the under tray on that need to be removed before you can access the drain plug.... Brillissimo

Laconian

What the heck! That's some quality design right there :lol: Do they call it "lifetime oil"?

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on April 10, 2023, 01:02:01 PM
What the heck! That's some quality design right there :lol: Do they call it "lifetime oil"?

At some point the Ferrari engineer that designed the car forgot he wasn't designing a ferrari

giant_mtb

Those underside plastic panels that block everything are the norm now on most cars/crossovers/shorter SUVs.

Some apparently are more excessive than others. :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on April 10, 2023, 01:22:59 PM
At some point the Ferrari engineer that designed the car forgot he wasn't designing a ferrari

He's protecting you from manifold danger.

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 10, 2023, 01:26:07 PM
Those underside plastic panels that block everything are the norm now on most cars/crossovers/shorter SUVs.

Some apparently are more excessive than others. :lol:

The EV6 undercarriage is completely paneled, but there are no fluids to drain, so...

CaminoRacer

If I didn't have to replace the oil filter on the Miata from underneath, I would just drill a small hole in the undertray and route a tube to my Fumoto valve through it.
(The undertray has 9-10 bolts which is annoying but doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to deal with.)

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 10, 2023, 12:26:10 PM
That's why I change my own oil. $35-40 for full synthetic and a good filter. There's places that will do it for the same or less but probably with lower quality oil/filter
You're also missing the opportunity to have to buy a shiny new oil pan because a wispy-beard methhead crossthreaded & over-torqued the drain plug.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 10, 2023, 01:39:49 PM
If I didn't have to replace the oil filter on the Miata from underneath, I would just drill a small hole in the undertray and route a tube to my Fumoto valve through it.
(The undertray has 9-10 bolts which is annoying but doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to deal with.)

I've never used a Fumoto valve.  Recommend it, I assume?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on April 11, 2023, 08:07:22 AM

I probably would've installed one years ago. But I'm too afraid I'd end up smacking it on something offroadz and FUBAR it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on April 11, 2023, 08:07:22 AM

I installed it last oil change, so I haven't really used it yet. But it hasn't leaked and seems very high quality.

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2023, 08:16:18 AM
I probably would've installed one years ago. But I'm too afraid I'd end up smacking it on something offroadz and FUBAR it.

Yeah I only put it on the Miata since it has a metal undertray and I haven't lowered the car a bunch. No real risk of smacking it off.

Morris Minor

There's rumors flying around that Capital One is getting out of the dealership finance game, pulling dealers' inventory lines of credit (a.k.a "Floorplans.")
Just rumors... but it would mean dealers have 90 days to refinance inventory. If true, Cap 1's outlook on dealer profitability & retail customers' credit quality is not good.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 11, 2023, 09:42:24 AM
There's rumors flying around that Capital One is getting out of the dealership finance game, pulling dealers' inventory lines of credit (a.k.a "Floorplans.")
Just rumors... it would mean dealer have 90 days to refinance their inventory. If true, their outlook on dealer profitability & retail customers' credit quality is not good.

Well, if it's any consolation, there isn't much inventory to refinance.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Daring and probably idiotic move by GM to grab your data and force subscriptions

GM Getting RID of Apple CarPlay + Android Auto...: https://youtu.be/iJ_ueOctrUo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 11, 2023, 10:23:27 AM
Daring and probably idiotic move by GM to grab your data and force subscriptions

GM Getting RID of Apple CarPlay + Android Auto...: https://youtu.be/iJ_ueOctrUo

Fuck that in the ass.

giant_mtb

Wow that'd be bad.

Bring back doube DINs, dammit!