Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on February 17, 2024, 03:28:53 AMGreat looking and driving cars with fewer and fewer sales year after year.

Stellantis seems to have threw in the towel on them a few years ago as they go all in on EV. 
In the EU, they don't have much choice on whether to go all-in EV.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

Mighty fine mega-exhaust orifices.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Guys, I might die. Meguiar's Wheel Brightener...the wheel cleaner I've been using and recommending for 15+ years...has been discontinued.

WTF.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 17, 2024, 06:08:45 AMMighty fine mega-exhaust orifices.

A bit over the top, bordering on "RICE...Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement."
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Edmunds U-Drags really clear some of the smoke out from in front of the BEV game mirrors... Being a fat ass has definite downsides

U-DRAG RACE: Acura NSX Type S vs. Lucid Air Grand...: https://youtu.be/gkAmRJT7tXE
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Quote from: r0tor on February 17, 2024, 07:30:45 PMEdmunds U-Drags really clear some of the smoke out from in front of the BEV game mirrors... Being a fat ass has definite downsides

U-DRAG RACE: Acura NSX Type S vs. Lucid Air Grand...: https://youtu.be/gkAmRJT7tXE

Uhh the Lucid air grand touring is a 5 passenger 4 door luxury sedan with narrow efficency oriented EV tires that pull .87 on the skidpad. This one didn't even have the performance package. It has no track pretenses and is built by a start up company with no motorsport history.

The NSX type S is a 2 seater mid engined dedicated performance machine with carbon ceramic brakes and true performance tires and suspension set up and costs 50k more in this case, it's supposed to be the ultimate expression of what Honda, a company with decades of successful motorsport experience, can do.

The fact they ran such similar times shows what BEVs have done for accessible performance.

r0tor

Quote from: 565 on February 18, 2024, 05:18:29 PMUhh the Lucid air grand touring is a 5 passenger 4 door luxury sedan with narrow efficency oriented EV tires that pull .87 on the skidpad. This one didn't even have the performance package. It has no track pretenses and is built by a start up company with no motorsport history.

The NSX type S is a 2 seater mid engined dedicated performance machine with carbon ceramic brakes and true performance tires and suspension set up and costs 50k more in this case, it's supposed to be the ultimate expression of what Honda, a company with decades of successful motorsport experience, can do.

The fact they ran such similar times shows what BEVs have done for accessible performance.

what good is all that power if your brakes and tires melt from the massive weight after 1 serious stop and 1 turn?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 565 on February 18, 2024, 05:18:29 PMUhh the Lucid air grand touring is a 5 passenger 4 door luxury sedan with narrow efficency oriented EV tires that pull .87 on the skidpad. This one didn't even have the performance package. It has no track pretenses and is built by a start up company with no motorsport history.

+1

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2024, 08:16:20 AMwhat good is all that power if your brakes and tires melt from the massive weight after 1 serious stop and 1 turn?

Yeah, what good is a Rolls Royce? All that torque and the Nurburgring time is slower than a much cheaper Civic Type R!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

These X vs Y races are just stupid, imo.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 19, 2024, 09:42:13 AM+1

Yeah, what good is a Rolls Royce? All that torque and the Nurburgring time is slower than a much cheaper Civic Type R!

Didn't know 0-60 times were a selling point of a RR

veeman

I think the great majority of these high performance EV cars are bought by men who never track their cars and love flooring the throttle pedal for a few seconds, often to impress/entertain their passengers. This action, taken a handful of times a month, justifies their extravagant purchase.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on February 19, 2024, 03:23:42 PMI think the great majority of these high performance EV cars are bought by men who never track their cars and love flooring the throttle pedal for a few seconds, often to impress/entertain their passengers. This action, taken a handful of times a month, justifies their extravagant purchase.

That's my experience in the backseat of a rental Tesla. :lol:
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2024, 12:08:53 PMDidn't know 0-60 times were a selling point of a RR

And Lucid isn't trying to sell that car as a track car, is it? Like 565 said.

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 19, 2024, 03:53:23 PMAnd Lucid isn't trying to sell that car as a track car, is it? Like 565 said.

Then why the 800+ HP?

AutobahnSHO

0-60 is a bragging thing, so of course car manufacturers are going to use it. Even if the car can only do it once per charge  :lol:
Will

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2024, 06:16:16 PMThen why the 800+ HP?

So the owner can go like a bat out of hell in a straight line for a few seconds which would be very gratifying.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2024, 06:16:16 PMThen why the 800+ HP?

Because they can?

Why did GTOs come with so much power? Handling and brakes sucked

r0tor

Quote from: veeman on February 19, 2024, 07:52:04 PMSo the owner can go like a bat out of hell in a straight line for a few seconds which would be very gratifying.

..and then not stop?

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 19, 2024, 08:19:51 PMBecause they can?

Why did GTOs come with so much power? Handling and brakes sucked
Bragging rights?

It made sense back then because, in the USA, most races were on the streets, stoplight to stoplight.

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on February 20, 2024, 05:34:56 AM..and then not stop?

They can stop fine. They actually have one of the best regenerative braking as well.  The 1,234 hp one (Lucid Air Sapphire) which can go 0-60 mph in under 2 seconds and the quarter mile in under 9 seconds has carbon ceramic brakes with 10 piston front calipers. 

They can't compete with a supercar sports  car on anything but a straight line. 

Which is probably fine for most owners as it's not meant to be a track car. 

r0tor

Quote from: veeman on February 20, 2024, 06:31:56 AMThey can stop fine. They actually have one of the best regenerative braking as well.  The 1,234 hp one (Lucid Air Sapphire) which can go 0-60 mph in under 2 seconds and the quarter mile in under 9 seconds has carbon ceramic brakes with 10 piston front calipers. 

They can't compete with a supercar sports  car on anything but a straight line. 

Which is probably fine for most owners as it's not meant to be a track car. 

I would think an 800hp+ car would come with some brakes that don't go into full meltdown mode after a single stop.  They added 400jp to the base model without significantly upgrading the brakes... Probably because they use regen so heavily - problem being on a WOT blast the batteries overhear which reduces both power and Regen.

According to the U Drag leaderboard, the M3 with over 300 less HP is also faster than the Lucid.

Funny enough they had the lengthen the course last year to give EVs longer stopping distances.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on February 20, 2024, 06:50:30 AMI would think an 800hp+ car would come with some brakes that don't go into full meltdown mode after a single stop.  They added 400jp to the base model without significantly upgrading the brakes... Probably because they use regen so heavily - problem being on a WOT blast the batteries overhear which reduces both power and Regen.

According to the U Drag leaderboard, the M3 with over 300 less HP is also faster than the Lucid.

Funny enough they had the lengthen the course last year to give EVs longer stopping distances.

Did Lucid market the car as the king of U Drag?

EV HP is easier than ICE HP, especially considering the emissions/MPG regulations that ICE has to meet. The fast charging, high voltage systems that are needed to improve the ownership experience also make big HP numbers easy. Just because it's an 800 HP EV doesn't mean it's a performance-oriented car the same way that any 800 HP ICE car is.

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 20, 2024, 09:59:54 AMDid Lucid market the car as the king of U Drag?

EV HP is easier than ICE HP, especially considering the emissions/MPG regulations that ICE has to meet. The fast charging, high voltage systems that are needed to improve the ownership experience also make big HP numbers easy. Just because it's an 800 HP EV doesn't mean it's a performance-oriented car the same way that any 800 HP ICE car is.

I don't believe that anyone puts 800hp in a vehicle and is not claiming it as being performance oriented.  They make models with 1/2 the power

I also have an issue with the power figures EVs are being advertised... In most cases it looks like that power is available for all of 10-20 seconds.  What is the sustainable power?  In the ICE world, hp is a mostly sustainable figure - in some cases a short term overboost feature may be promoted.

CaminoRacer

From their website: "Relentless range. Supercar speed. Lavish luxury."

Nothing about handling, track performance, or anything like that. Only speed & luxury, and the trim is called "Grand Touring". It's a Maybach not an M3.

giant_mtb

Detailed a Cherokee yesterday, girl was looking to sell it. She just texted me to let me know that she posted it last night and somebody already bought it today for $1,000 over asking price.  She attributed most of it to me as the buyer was very happy with how clean it was (which it wasn't before...she has two kids, thing was a general mess and had never had a proper detailing).

:rockon:

CaminoRacer

That definitely helps a lot at the low end of the market. So many people post disgusting cars.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 20, 2024, 01:10:18 PMThat definitely helps a lot at the low end of the market. So many people post disgusting cars.

Yuuuuup. I can't believe the shit people will post that they haven't even bothered to at least take all their junk out and give a quick wash and vacuuming for pictures.

Dunno what she was asking for it, but a Cherokee with 156k miles on it...$1,000 over asking was probably pretty significant. People will jump on a vehicle quick if it's truly clean and presents well around here.

AutobahnSHO

Lol.

You cannot view this attachment.
Will

giant_mtb

Valid. If you're not really a car person...I could see that. The lack of separation between the letters, people's brains just think it's a trendy backwards "N."

Laconian

KИ, the hottest thing to come out of Russia since Lada!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT