Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Cookie Monster

My phone's camera was nice but the lens is plastic so it's all scratched up and pictures look like shit now. :cry:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 02, 2017, 11:09:40 AM
My phone's camera was nice but the lens is plastic so it's all scratched up and pictures look like shit now. :cry:

Yeah, that's the only vulnerability on my phone. My case has a lip around the lens, but keys or something could still get to it.
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

giant_mtb

My case keeps the (glass) lens safe, but it did get a crack in it at some point. Luckily it's off in the corner and doesn't affect pix.

cawimmer430

I'm really amazed and impressed by this. I usually lug around a DSLR and prefer that over a smartphone camera.

The camera of the S8 blows the two previous Nokias I had out of the water!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Friend of the family said over dinner that Mustangs are getting more popular in France, at least in Reims. American cars basically didn't exist beforehand, but now - bang, pow, where did those V8 Mustangs come from? Gas is really expensive but money ain't a thing for quite a few in the Champagne region, it seems.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Oh, and public sentiment has turned against diesel in France, too.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 03, 2017, 01:26:56 AM
Friend of the family said over dinner that Mustangs are getting more popular in France, at least in Reims. American cars basically didn't exist beforehand, but now - bang, pow, where did those V8 Mustangs come from? Gas is really expensive but money ain't a thing for quite a few in the Champagne region, it seems.

Those cars are overwhelmingly bought by enthusiasts. A Mustang with a 4-cylinder or V6? Nah, they want the V8!  It also helps that Ford (GM and Chrysler) now offer dedicated Euro-versions of their cars complete with km/h speedometer (mph and RHD for the UK), probably better engine and oil cooling (especially for the Autobahns) etc. In the past that wasn't the case, and that limited the appeal.

I used to work with an importer of American cars, mostly Chrysler and Dodge products but sometimes also Ford and GM. My impression was that buyers of the Challenger, Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, RAM, Charger and some SUVs were enthusiasts who wanted an American product. And they tend to also have a more efficient daily driver, essentially owning two (or more) cars. The American car they bought may be their weekend fun car. Just a generalization. ;)

The anti-diesel hysteria is also strong here, usually from people who vote for the Green Party and hate anything that burns fuel. Personally I think people are completely overreacting. There is such a thing as clean diesel - the trucks in Europe have proven it. Diesel cars need larger Urea tanks and that neutralizes 93% (I think is the figure) of harmful emissions. Clean diesels are possible.

A lot of people want us to drive electric cars. I am not opposed to electric cars, but currently their range (outside of a Tesla) is low, charging takes forever and the infrastructure does not exist here. Many people park their cars on the streets or lack a charging station in their garages, particularly if they are renting one. My garage was modernized a few months ago, and the owners of the garage complex explicitly forbid the installation of electric car charging stations. Let's not forget that electric cars aren't as green as people make them out to be. The production process (including the batteries) pollute heavily and the electricity to charge them has to come from somewhere.

Cars pollute. Period. There is a price to pay for mobility, both financial and environmentally.

Oh, and yesterday in the news... a little over half of the German population is in favor of speed limits on the Autobahn. Fuck me... :facepalm:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Stumbled across this channel on the YouTubes last night. Watched the first two episodes. Good stuff.

https://youtu.be/GCLyvGDQuPI

68_427

Added that to watch later
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on September 03, 2017, 01:26:56 AM
Mustang is the top selling sporty coupe in Germany. What's right is right I guess. I would not pay Mustang GT money for a 420d M-Sport either.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 03, 2017, 10:46:40 AM
Mustang is the top selling sporty coupe in Germany. What's right is right I guess. I would not pay Mustang GT money for a 420d M-Sport either.

I saw tons of Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes in Japan.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Abarth drivers...  :facepalm:  :winkguy:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Adventured in the truck yesterday. Was gonna take dirt back roads the whole way home (about 70 miles), so I aired down my tires to break up the chop. Noticed my front left wheel was really warm.  Bearings aren't more than 2 years old and don't make any noises. Maybe my alignment is off, causing extra friction?  I was getting an occasional steering wobble around 65 on the highway (not a vibration like an out of balance wheel...more of a side to side wobble of steering wheel). Gonna rotate my tires and see if that helps.  Will probably get a balance and alignment done in the next couple weeks before I take a drive to Milwaukee.

MX793

Speed wobble?  How are the ball joints?

If your alignment is off badly enough to cause a lot of extra heat, you'll see signs in the tread wear.  Scuffing, feathering, uneven tread depth...

Other factor that can make a wheel hot is a dragging brake caliper.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Ball joints and tie rod ends were all new this spring, and it was aligned during that service (not that it couldn't have been knocked out of alignment since).  But it runs straight.  :hmm:

Hmmm could be brakes...I did notice a couple atypical squeals yesterday.  Calipers/pads/rotors were all replaced a year or so ago. :cry:

I'll take a closer look at the tread when I rotate.  Can do a side-by-side comparison with a rear tire.

MX793

If you have floating calipers, the float pins may have seized.  Just need to pull them off and grease them.  Hopefully the pads aren't completely worn down.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Got some uneven wear on one of the pads.  Perhaps a stuck piston. idfk I don't feel like dealing with this. :cry:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 04, 2017, 11:33:59 AM
Got some uneven wear on one of the pads.  Perhaps a stuck piston. idfk I don't feel like dealing with this. :cry:

It's a single piston, right? 

It's a stuck slide. Get some lube (the stuff for caliper pins). Back em out one at a time, clean and lube, and replace. Should be like a 10 mm Allen.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

No, there's 2 pistons per pad.  The aft end of one of the pads is more worn (the piston is out farther).  Not floating calipers.

Dunno why I didn't take a pic while I was in there lol

CaminoRacer

Parents finally got a replacement for their rusty Mazda6.

FoMoJo

They parked it in the living room?
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Well the garage is already full.

12,000 RPM

At a shop getting the wheel situation sorted. Im about to pay this woman's diagnostic fee just to hear her stop complaining about it. "$100? Thats at least 2 hours of labor" :facepalm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 08, 2017, 10:00:07 AM
Parents finally got a replacement for their rusty Mazda6.

I like the look of those. Doubt they come in manual with a sunroof though?
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 08, 2017, 02:48:26 PM
I like the look of those. Doubt they come in manual with a sunroof though?

Manual yes, sunroof not sure.

They got an auto LT with the RS package

cawimmer430

For RAZA...

Euro-spec 300SE W140 with 5-speed manual transmission. Disgusting.  :facepalm:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TBR

I saw a prev gen E-class coupe with a manual the other day (that's a C207 apparently). Was really taken aback.

Can you even get a C-class with a stick anymore? Or an SLK for that matter?

MX793

Quote from: TBR on September 09, 2017, 08:32:22 AM
I saw a prev gen E-class coupe with a manual the other day (that's a C207 apparently). Was really taken aback.

Can you even get a C-class with a stick anymore? Or an SLK for that matter?

Not in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

AutobahnSHO

Tesla is sticking 75kWh batteries in the Model S and Model X cars, including the cars that 'come with' 60kWh batteries....?

So to help people get out of Florida, (and hook people on the extended range), they upgraded people to 75kWh capability... temporarily. They'll have to pay $5k for the 'upgrade'....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-flips-switch-increase-range-232915375.html

Will