Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 19, 2017, 08:53:23 AM
Carbon fiber
I was noting the last paragraph where they mention crowd funding to get the project underway.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 17, 2017, 01:57:22 PM

Man forgets where he parks his car - then finds it 20 years later

LOL
Will

12,000 RPM

Put the car seat in wifey's car. Was bracing myself for the absolute worst... took all of 3 minutes once I figured it out.

We got a convertible seat for the G but that shit is too big man. Wifey's seat is a Snugride 30 which is just for infants but is way smaller. Going to see if we can leave the child seat at day care... if so I will just get a base for the G and leave the convertible for later.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Getting my wheels re-balanced finally, Wednesday morning.  Gotta drive downstate for Thanksgiving...don't feel like dealing with 6-7 hours of vibration on the highway/freeway.  First place I called was booked out to December 5th (snow tire swap season), so I called their sister shop in the smaller town just down the road and they're able to get me in Wednesday morning.  At first he said he could do it Friday but I said "shoot, I was hoping to get it done by Wednesday before I drive downstate" and he goes "well...maybe I can squeeze you in here." :lol:  Perfect, I can have the wheels balanced and take off...hopefully it solves the problem.  Had to have them balanced twice last time when I had my muffler replaced and had them do a rotate&balance...they were better the second time, but still not perfect.  And they used the ugly, old fashioned hammer-on wheel weights.  Hoping this tire shop uses stick-ons and can get them perfect.

CaminoRacer

Ask them to use stick-on.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

A couple of weeks ago I got to experience the real pain of driving around in cars with no spare tires. A rear tire on the M5 blew at 170kph (no stability issues) on the highway in the middle of nowhere on my way to Leon. Fortunately this happened in an area with cell coverage (a few kilometers earlier and I'd have been stranded without a signal).

This happened about 7 pm about 220km away from home. Got home at 2 am on a tow truck.

Tow was about US$200 plus US$500 for a new rear Pilot Super Sport.

Gonna get a compact spare for the M5.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 20, 2017, 09:26:31 AM
Ask them to use stick-on.

Found out why they didn't. The shape. The inside of the wheel doesn't allow for stick-ons because there's a lip on the outside edge where the face meets the rim, so they have to use hammer ons to get them dual-side balanced.

Also, bent wheel. Probably from when I slid into a curb last winter and had to get a new tire...no shop has noticed/mentioned til now.

giant_mtb

They moved the bent one from FR to RR so I'd feel it in my butt rather than the wheel...I can see that it's bent in my Sideview mirror going down the road. lawl.

Tire Rack no longer sells the same wheels... :hammerhead:

Edit:  Yes they do...it just shows up as "no longer available" when I view it in my order history? :huh:  Oh, because they don't have any with 6-lug pattern. Fack.

Thinking I'm gonna throw the full-size spare on for the 1,000-mile round trip I'm about to do.  :wanker:

giant_mtb

Well shit.  I can't find any available Black Rock 937 Type 8p wheels with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern.  Musta stopped making them.  Am I really gonna have to have an odd wheel for the rest of my life. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 22, 2017, 09:51:32 AM
Well shit.  I can't find any available Black Rock 937 Type 8p wheels with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern.  Musta stopped making them.  Am I really gonna have to have an odd wheel for the rest of my life. :lol:

Call the company

FoMoJo

2019 Lincoln MKC, kinda like the front and rear design treatment.  Hope they carry it into the MKX.  I'd be interested.

http://autoweek.com/article/luxury/5-things-know-about-2019-lincoln-mkc

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

That's clean & classy.

12,000 RPM

It's tight. Just put the car seat in the MKX and we have room to spare behind the front passenger. No such luck in something like this, which is strange given the target market. They need to stretch the wheelbase a little, or at least allow for the back seat to move back and forth.

SJ_GTI

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 22, 2017, 11:19:28 AM
It's tight. Just put the car seat in the MKX and we have room to spare behind the front passenger. No such luck in something like this, which is strange given the target market. They need to stretch the wheelbase a little, or at least allow for the back seat to move back and forth.
The C/D platform, though just inches in difference, seems much more accommodating than the C platform.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 22, 2017, 10:29:14 AM
Call the company

Probably my best/only option. Fingers crossed.

giant_mtb

The live data coming from my OBD port and the speedometer disagree by a couple mph.  GPS seems to agree more with the scanner than the speedo.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 22, 2017, 11:19:28 AM

Ford's got issues with space management. The MKX has about the same room as the MKC in the back

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on November 22, 2017, 05:12:44 PM

Ford's got issues with space management. The MKX has about the same room as the MKC in the back
Not according to specs...https://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/lincoln_mkc_2017-vs-lincoln_mkx_2017

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on November 22, 2017, 05:12:44 PM

The C platform, yes. Our MKX is huge inside and the new one is even bigger

FoMoJo

AGAIN! http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/23/news/companies/mitsubishi-materials-false-data-kobe-steel/index.html

Japan's latest scandal: Mitsubishi admits faking data

Another day, another admission of wrongdoing by a Japanese corporate giant.

Mitsubishi Materials said Thursday that it had falsified data on multiple products -- including components used in cars and airplanes -- for more than a year, adding to Japan's growing list of corporate scandals.

At least two of the company's subsidiaries faked data to meet specifications set by clients, it said in a statement.

CaminoRacer

Mazda6 has all new brakes. Calipers, rotors, pads, new MC cap. Hopefully they work without knocking like they did before.

(pads aren't installed in this pic. Had to run back to the store to get free warrantied replacements)

MexicoCityM3

A friend of my business partner that I knew and got into our track club got killed last thursday when he lost control of his GT4 at very high speed on a highway near Guadalajara. A woman that was traveling with him miraculously survived.

The car was completely destroyed and incinerated. A truly nightmarish crash.

http://www.provincia.com.mx/web/Automóvil_vuelca_y_se_incendia_en_la_pista_de_Occidente;_hay_un_muerto_y_una_herida-83284

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 24, 2017, 03:14:51 PM
Mazda6 has all new brakes. Calipers, rotors, pads, new MC cap. Hopefully they work without knocking like they did before.

(pads aren't installed in this pic. Had to run back to the store to get free warrantied replacements)

Got the pads bedded in. Love the smell of fully functioning, hot brakes. :praise:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 24, 2017, 03:28:50 PM
A friend of my business partner that I knew and got into our track club got killed last thursday when he lost control of his GT4 at very high speed on a highway near Guadalajara. A woman that was traveling with him miraculously survived.

http://www.provincia.com.mx/web/Automóvil_vuelca_y_se_incendia_en_la_pista_de_Occidente;_hay_un_muerto_y_una_herida-83284

That's rough. Sorry for your partner and everyone who knew him. Stay safe man

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 24, 2017, 03:28:50 PM

Fuck.

Sorry to hear that Hector.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Was chatting with my brother about various car safety tech (backup cameras, sensors, automated crash avoidance systems) and he brought up a couple of examples of these systems gone wrong.  A friend of his bought a new Camry with all the bells and whistles.  When the car was maybe 2 weeks old, the friend's wife took it to the drive-thru car wash.  Drove the car onto the conveyor and as it was being pulled through the wash, the car's auto braking engaged.  The car was dislodged from the conveyor and then the car on the conveyor behind it got dragged into it, damaging both cars.  Car wash manager apparently said he'd seen this sort of thing happen before.

The other, which was more an annoyance, involved another acquaintance of his who had a new car with all manner of cameras and sensors.  Some snow and ice splashed up onto one of them and the rest of the trip was spent with a warning light and audible alarm going off constantly.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Fuckin' technology.

giant_mtb

My brother is doing the Land Rover Experience today.  Basically sounds like you get to take some Land Rovers out on the trail and get 'em dirty.  Sounds like a good time.  Slightly jealous, but I can do that virtually whenever I want anyways. :lol: