Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

2o6

The LR Velar looks weird in person.

I have gotten used to the Evoque, and I like the F-pace, but the Velar looks...off. Like the whole roofline is too low, and the metal body is too high. The front lights and grille look awkwardly too small, and the whole car looks weirdly too narrow.

FoMoJo

I was at the local LR dealership yesterday for the annual service and was able to compare the Velar with the rest of the models they had lined up.  I thought it looked pretty good but I still like the Discovery Sport better.  The Velar was just a few inches longer than the Sport and all of it was in the shape of the rear end; seems somehow to be extended almost to a point.  However, I really liked the interior.  It looked very clean and stylish with an excellent screen positioned lower and at an upward slant.  Also, fewer knobs and buttons, too many buttons on the Sport.

Beyond appearance though, its quite a step up from the Sport and the Evoque and more closely related to the F-Pace in respect to chassis and Engine choices.  Of the 2, I would choose the F-Pace just for styling.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Back to the essence..... Gymkahana vids got so out of hand

"Brought to you by McLaren, Rolex and Goldman Sachs. Directed by Steven Spielberg *hoons a 2017 F1 car around Monaco*"
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

I was bored with Ken Block's gymkhana videos after the first or maybe second one.  Like, wow, that's what I do daily all winter long... :lol:

CaminoRacer

SF and LA were good. The lowrider trick was cool

giant_mtb

Put a 50W stick-on heat pad on ze oil pan.  Goddamn the thing gets hot for 50W.  Almost got a bigger, more powerful one, but my oil pan is shaped all funky so a small 2"x5" was the only way to go.  Seems like it's plenty and it's only 50W so I have little guilt about just plugging it in all night.  Nice to keep dat oil warm for those single-digit cold starts.

93JC

Do you not have a block heater?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on December 25, 2017, 09:30:26 AM

They're a rarity outside of Canada.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on December 25, 2017, 09:30:26 AM

Not installed, no.  I have one, but the hole it's supposed to go in must be corroded and shit 'cause it won't seat in all the way.  It's in a spot that isn't easy to get to, so I gave up and bought a pan pad instead for now. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 25, 2017, 10:08:32 AM
They're a rarity outside of Canada.

Yeah, I only see them around here on diesel trucks and heavy equipment.

93JC

:huh: I figured they'd be commonplace in some of the border states, and the fact you've installed a pan heater exemplifies why.

It was -4 °F on the thermometer on my deck this morning, so as you can imagine I plugged my car in.

giant_mtb

Yeah, unfortunately/surprisingly they're not all that common besides diesels that come with 'em from the factory.  How long do you plug yours in for?  The block heater I have is 400W.  I was thinking it'd be nice to have it on a timer or something since my garage isn't attached to the house.

Now that I have a heated shop to futz around in, I'll probably take some time to see if I can get the hole cleaned out for it.  Would be really nice to have a full block heater.  I figure something is better than nothing for an engine with ~158k miles on it, so a simple pan pad was the ticket for now.

Chilly here, too.  3F when I fired 'er up this morning, supposed to be single digits all week, as I'm sure it is for you as well!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on December 25, 2017, 11:21:01 AM
:huh: I figured they'd be commonplace in some of the border states, and the fact you've installed a pan heater exemplifies why.

It was -4 °F on the thermometer on my deck this morning, so as you can imagine I plugged my car in.

Well, we tend to know what they are. Every time it gets really cold I have this conversation. "You gotta block heater on that?"  "No, you?" "Nope. Been meanin to get one."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 25, 2017, 11:54:52 AM
Well, we tend to know what they are. Every time it gets really cold I have this conversation. "You gotta block heater on that?"  "No, you?" "Nope. Been meanin to get one."

So true. :lol:

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 25, 2017, 11:41:35 AM
Yeah, unfortunately/surprisingly they're not all that common besides diesels that come with 'em from the factory.  How long do you plug yours in for?  The block heater I have is 400W.

I usually plug mine in 3-4 hrs before I intend on starting it, or sometime before I go to bed if I'm going somewhere first thing in the morning. Not sure how powerful mine is, but probably a few hundred watts. I would also like to have a timer, but frankly I don't need it all that often.

It's against one of the local bylaws to leave the cord laying across the sidewalk...  :wanker:

giant_mtb

I think 10-15F is a good threshold for use of a block/whatever heater.  I can tell at that or below that the engine doesn't like its life much.  -5 out now, high of -1 tomorrow.  Whewph.

93JC

My car doesn't like below freezing at all, but I usually don't plug the block heater in unless it's below zero Fahrenheit.

-7 °F right now, supposed to get down to -17 °F/-27 °C overnight. :(

giant_mtb

Left my parents' house last night after dinner...got on the highway and hit 30-35mph and got some intense shuddering.  Had to take the back road home so I could keep it under 30mph. :mask:

Hopefully it's just a chunk of ice somewhere throwing a wheel off-balance...or it's really time to get my CVs and/or wheel bearing done.

CaminoRacer

Probably snow/ice.

ChrisV

Lol, put 121g into the search bare here:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MX793

Quote from: ChrisV on December 27, 2017, 08:52:30 AM

:lol:

Wonder how long that's been there
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on December 27, 2017, 08:52:30 AM

Saw that pop up on FB today.  So awesome.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Wow, humanity

So someone replied to a video I made about my motorcycle headlight... I got excited. Then I saw what they replied.... they wanted to know how I mounted it, how I wired it, and what headlight I used..........................................................

.............................................which is literally everything I said in the video :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

12,000 RPM

If you're not subscribed to savagegeese on Youtube....

This guy's reviews absolutely put ALL the professional outfits to shame. This review of the new Lexus LC500 is amazing. Geek out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdG4qyUAaYM

68_427

Someone a thread about that^ on TCL on the same day.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

The production value is really good, but yikes.  That dude takes himself wayyyyy too seriously and is sooooo long winded.  That's a 45 minute review!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Seems like the type whose fancy tool boxes are completely empty.

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 01, 2018, 12:55:28 PM
Seems like the type whose fancy tool boxes are completely empty.

Nope! They're full of really expensive tools!

That have never been used.