Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

CaminoRacer

Things seen on my commute today:

This has to be intentional

Idk how you suck at driving so much that not 1 vehicle, but 2 end up flipping.

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 07, 2018, 07:19:42 PM
Things seen on my commute today:

This has to be intentional

I LOL every time I see a Rustang too.....  :ducks:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

I'm a sucker for car crash videos but these are Great. Minimal extra filler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBrkUbEo_A
Will

MX793

Awful lot of Lambos in that compilation.  They must be the Italian Mustang.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

I like how a lot of those fuckers just drive off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

What the hell happened at 1:35??! The GT-R entered the frame... sideways?

2:18, the guy clearly drives through a red light...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

The flaming bumper had me in stitches, HAHAHAHA

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 10, 2018, 08:59:37 AM
I like how a lot of those fuckers just drive off.

I like how a lot of them crash after breaking traction in a straight line.

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 11, 2018, 10:33:23 PM

Which is especially strange, since modern supercars are generally quite docile to drive. I mean, to lose control of a Gallardo, you have to be doing something special.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 11, 2018, 10:33:23 PM
Quote from: Raza  on March 12, 2018, 06:58:16 AM
Which is especially strange, since modern supercars are generally quite docile to drive. I mean, to lose control of a Gallardo, you have to be doing something special.

I imagine they turn off all the helpers thinking they'll get the coolest show-off effect. Then once things go sideways they let off the power too fast which causes an over-correction.

Dummies.  :lol:
Will

12,000 RPM

At the track event I did with the 458/GT-R, a lot of people said the Gallardo was a handful. Rear biased AWD + an aggressive suspension setup + the average American's driving abilities =

And yea, speaking from experience, turning off TCS can result in bad things happening in a straight line (which is why I always leave it on)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

RomanChariot

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 12, 2018, 07:25:39 AM
At the track event I did with the 458/GT-R, a lot of people said the Gallardo was a handful. Rear biased AWD + an aggressive suspension setup + the average American's driving abilities =

Considering how many of those wrecks involved Europeans, it appears to be a little more universal. Having the money to own a supercar does not make one a super driver.

giant_mtb

SJ_GTI

So my mom was in a fender bender last week and her car (2004 Acura TSX) was totaled by the insurance company. Still drivable FWIW, I think they just figured its not worth fixing a car that old.

Anywho she needs another car and since my brother recently started working at Subaru the timing seemed to work out. Unfortunately it turns out the employee pricing program from Subaru isn't as simple as showing up to a dealership and getting that price. They actually have you order it directly from them (Subaru) and you take delivery at their head office here in South Jersey. Wait time on getting the car is 8-12 weeks. Very reasonable if if is a pre-planned purchase, tough to do in an emergency.

She did test drive a bunch of cars with my brother and she liked the Crosstrek the best (only downside for her was leather was only available in black or black/gray). She had them price out a fully loaded model and with the discount it is like ~26k. Not bad IMHO. She is driving an insurance rental for now but if/when they cut her a check for her totaled Acura we suspect they will cancel the rental as well so she is trying to see if she can find a car to borrow for a few months.

My brother did order his Impreza, he is expecting delivery some time in April.

Laconian

Is she a Costco member? Can she do the Costco car purchase program?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 12, 2018, 12:53:32 PM
So my mom was in a fender bender last week and her car (2004 Acura TSX) was totaled by the insurance company. Still drivable FWIW, I think they just figured its not worth fixing a car that old.

Anywho she needs another car and since my brother recently started working at Subaru the timing seemed to work out. Unfortunately it turns out the employee pricing program from Subaru isn't as simple as showing up to a dealership and getting that price. They actually have you order it directly from them (Subaru) and you take delivery at their head office here in South Jersey. Wait time on getting the car is 8-12 weeks. Very reasonable if if is a pre-planned purchase, tough to do in an emergency.

She did test drive a bunch of cars with my brother and she liked the Crosstrek the best (only downside for her was leather was only available in black or black/gray). She had them price out a fully loaded model and with the discount it is like ~26k. Not bad IMHO. She is driving an insurance rental for now but if/when they cut her a check for her totaled Acura we suspect they will cancel the rental as well so she is trying to see if she can find a car to borrow for a few months.

I rented a beater for a month in 2001. $1000 for the month, but it was a BEATER that was probably only worth $1500.
Will

CaminoRacer

Cost of waiting vs. the employee discount, which is less? I think buying one off the lot might be a better deal in the end, given the circumstances.

2o6

You could probably explain this to the insurance company and they may grant an extension. Or offer her a discounted rental rate.

Rental cars are cheap; I've seen as low as $70 a week for a basic Versa or something.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 12, 2018, 01:31:48 PM
Cost of waiting vs. the employee discount, which is less? I think buying one off the lot might be a better deal in the end, given the circumstances.

Not sure.

My brother mentioned that he thinks she can just get a rental from Subaru for ~$25/day, would be like ~$2100 if it takes all of 12 weeks. According to my brother they could probably negotiate a dealer down to within ~1700 of the employee price if she takes off the lot.

She is going to try and scrounge up a free loaner as a first try. The shop my dad (they are divorced, but still friendly) works at has a couple loaner she has borrowed for a week at a time before, but 3 months would be a tougher sell. The shop owner is still pretty friendly with my mom as well so he might let her do it.

AutobahnSHO

Will

93JC

They're just deleting the script, instead of having the script and the tri-shield emblem. This isn't crazy, lots of other companies do this too. ..

Soup DeVille

I was more upset about the ducks being deleted from the Cadillac crest...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on March 12, 2018, 02:07:35 PM
They're just deleting the script, instead of having the script and the tri-shield emblem. This isn't crazy, lots of other companies do this too. ..

Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing any modern car that still uses the branding script on the back. My Sonic doesn't have any "Chevrolet" script anywhere on it.

I think Toyota still uses the "Toyota" script on the back, but I think that's because Toyota's management is old and conservative. Old people don't like change.

93JC

I was trying to think of companies that still put the script on, and Chevy and Toyota were the first to come to mind. :lol:

Mazda does, sort of. My car—and the new ones—says "MAZDA3" on the left side. Is it a "Mazda 3"? A "Mazda Mazda3"? Who knows!

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 12, 2018, 02:10:09 PM
I was more upset about the ducks being deleted from the Cadillac crest...

I still think getting rid of the wreath was a mistake.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on March 12, 2018, 02:16:20 PM
I was trying to think of companies that still put the script on, and Chevy and Toyota were the first to come to mind. :lol:

Mazda does, sort of. My car—and the new ones—says "MAZDA3" on the left side. Is it a "Mazda 3"? A "Mazda Mazda3"? Who knows!

It comes up as Mazda Mazda3 in a lot of parts searches. The Mazda 6 I owned was registered as Mazda Mazda6. (I think. I've owned too many cars. Just today I forgot I owned a Scion xD for a week)

93JC

Oh believe me, I know. The registration for my car uses the chassis code as the model name, 'A5S' I think.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on March 12, 2018, 02:45:11 PM
Oh believe me, I know. The registration for my car uses the chassis code as the model name, 'A5S' I think.

When I registered the tC, it came up as "Toyota Scion tC"

veeman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 12, 2018, 12:53:32 PM

The new Crosstrek (came out this year) is significantly better than the outgoing one (the one I have).  Better styled, better road insulation, just as capable. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-subaru-crosstrek-first-drive-review

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: veeman on March 12, 2018, 05:24:00 PM
The new Crosstrek (came out this year) is significantly better than the outgoing one (the one I have).  Better styled, better road insulation, just as capable. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-subaru-crosstrek-first-drive-review

You know the only answer here. Pointless to resist. Crosstrek lol.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)