Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 29, 2018, 03:47:13 PM
Anyone want a used 2010 Prius? Slightly tricky sales proposition because people are suspicious of the battery packs. I've had one person pass because this one is still on the original. Toyota considers them life-of-vehicle items but that is not what's in the general public consciousness. Hints & sales wording tips welcome.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=488752596
Okay - the deed is done - cash in the bank, one week after listing it. Phew. I put so much into cleaning that car up. My daughter (now overseas) did the interior - took her days with the Bissell hot water extractor thing to pull out the vast amounts of crud from the carpets/rugs & upholstery. I did the outside detailing, touch-up paint, under hood etc.
The car was in fair condition. She never kept any maintenance receipts and did not look after it. I think she was lucky to get $6,000.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

At least it's done!

I sold Legacy for just a touch under KBB but for $1200 what can someone expect? I told test driver I drove it 30miles to work every day, he took a quick spin then gave me cash.
Will

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

OH.  Drove my buddy's CTS-V over the weekend.  It's mildly modded, has an exhaust system (with remote-control butterfly valves), upgraded heat exchanger, and a couple other odds and ends.  Different rotors/pads, 20" wheels, yellow letter tires.

Hooooooly fuck I've never driven anything like that in my life.  Was super manageable, too, even with TC off.  He let me do a few starts from a dead stop and it was just increeeeedible.  Super comfy cruiser, too, very easy to drive.  Goin' down the road at 40mph...mash the throttle for a few seconds...ope, there's 80!  Unreal.

He pays $1,400 a month to lease and insure the thing. :wtf:

Here's a silly screenshot...I don't understand why I can't pull images directly off Instagram... :hmm:

His license plate is "PLAN V"

Soup DeVille

He's leasing it, but also has entered it into a rally, modified it, and added graphics?

Hoo boy...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 10, 2018, 02:24:30 PM
He's leasing it, but also has entered it into a rally, modified it, and added graphics?

Hoo boy...

No, sorry.  He's got a loan on it.  He's keepin' it.

93JC

giant_mtb

Yep. haha. I think he said his insurance alone is like $450/month. :wtf:

Laconian

Does he think it's worth it? Hasn't the novelty worn off?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2018, 10:58:09 PM
Does he think it's worth it? Hasn't the novelty worn off?

Nah, he's a total muscle car guy.  He loves it, he's been in it his whole life.  He's an engineer at GM workin' on Caddies so it's right up his alley.

giant_mtb

His first rig was a (pretty badass) Cutlass when he was in high school, so he's all about that shit.

FoMoJo

Hillarious :lol:...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ontario-woman-accidentally-steals-car-from-walmart-parking-lot/ar-AAzV27c?ocid=spartandhp

Ontario woman accidentally steals car from Walmart parking lot

It can happen out there, amid life's hustle and bustle, when you are in a rush and your mind is in a million different places, and you park your car, for instance, in an underground parking lot, and return some time later, after running an errand, and realize you have no recollection as to where you actually parked the car in the first place.

In Cornwall, Ont., the where-the-hell-did-I-park scenario took on a strange and novel twist recently, after a black Nissan Infiniti, that was reported missing from a Walmart parking lot in late June, was found when a woman tried to return it to a local car rental company.

The woman, a local herself, wasn't a repentant car thief, but merely confused and possibly in a rush on the day she rented a car — a black Nissan Sentra — and drove straight to Walmart to do a little shopping. Upon exiting the store, she climbed in a black Nissan — the vehicle was open and the keys were in the ignition — and drove home. Soon after, a local man exited the store and began wandering about the parking lot in an increasing state of agitation, before concluding that his black Nissan Infiniti had been stolen, and calling police to report the theft.

Meanwhile, for the next two weeks, the woman, driving the Infiniti, trundled around the greater Cornwall area doing her thing, before returning the car to the rental place. She informed the manager that she wasn't entirely happy with the car. For one, it was messy when she picked it up — and there was a set of golf clubs in the trunk. The rental car manager examined the woman's keys and noted that, in fact, she had rented a Nissan Sentra, while the keys in her possession belonged to a Nissan Infiniti.

And so began the sleuthing, as the car rental manager and the embarrassed renter started retracing her steps, beginning in the Walmart parking lot. There sat the Nissan Sentra, exactly where the woman had parked it two weeks earlier. Cue a phone call to police and, soon after, a happy reunion between a car whose rightful owner believed it had been stolen, instead of borrowed by mistake.

"This isn't something you see everyday, but it is something that could happen," said Stephanie MacRae, a spokesperson with the Cornwall Community Police Service. "You should never leave your key fob or keys in your vehicle — and always remember to lock your car doors before walking away from your car."

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

I clicked on the link just to see a picture of this "Nissan Infiniti." No luck, I am disappoint.  :cry:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 11, 2018, 03:02:10 PM
I clicked on the link just to see a picture of this "Nissan Infiniti." No luck, I am disappoint.  :cry:

The author went all in with that! At least 3 mentions!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

LOL

I knew a druggie guy who was kicked out of his house. He bought a Kia (cash), back when Kias were really cheap cars. He didn't want to walk to the Pontiac dealer though.

He went to some party, parked a few blocks away, got trashed, forgot where he parked. He signed up for the Army ( :confused: ), and when he was at basic training he finally called home. They said the police found his car and contacted them. His brother drove it to him.

I don't think he lasted long in the Army. Even though he was a genius, he made some iffy life choices.

BTW this all happened shortly after "Dude, where's my car!" came out. And he showed up at the barracks one evening with "LINOWITZ" (his last name) tattooed across his shoulder blades.
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 11, 2018, 03:56:24 PM
LOL

I knew a druggie guy who was kicked out of his house. He bought a Kia (cash), back when Kias were really cheap cars. He didn't want to walk to the Pontiac dealer though.

He went to some party, parked a few blocks away, got trashed, forgot where he parked. He signed up for the Army ( :confused: ), and when he was at basic training he finally called home. They said the police found his car and contacted them. His brother drove it to him.

I don't think he lasted long in the Army. Even though he was a genius, he made some iffy life choices.

BTW this all happened shortly after "Dude, where's my car!" came out. And he showed up at the barracks one evening with "LINOWITZ" (his last name) tattooed across his shoulder blades.
:clap:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

Who leaves their Infiniti unlocked, unattended, and running in a Walmart parking lot?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

That MSN article was copied from elsewhere, hence why the details are screwed up. The stolen car was a QX50. It didn't have its "keys in the ignition": it has a push-button with a fob. The owner of the Infiniti left his fob in the car.

MrH

Imagine bringing a QX50 back for a Sentra because it's dirty.

This woman is clearly an idiot.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on July 12, 2018, 08:31:23 AM
That MSN article was copied from elsewhere, hence why the details are screwed up. The stolen car was a QX50. It didn't have its "keys in the ignition": it has a push-button with a fob. The owner of the Infiniti left his fob in the car.

Who leaves their Infiniti in a Walmart parking lot unlocked and with the keys/fob in it?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on July 12, 2018, 08:31:23 AM
Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2018, 08:33:19 AM
Imagine bringing a QX50 back for a Sentra because it's dirty.

This woman is clearly an idiot.
:lol: ...old and befuddled. 

Another, more concise, version...https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-tuesday-edition-1.4740605/ontario-woman-accidentally-steals-car-for-2-weeks-mistaking-it-for-a-rental-1.4740610

After all, the were both black.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Well that takes a special kind of idiot. How did she not realize "well, when I went into Walmart, this car was clean...when I got out, it was dirty and suddenly much nicer and completely different...hmmmmmm." :nutty:

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 12, 2018, 09:34:43 AM
Well that takes a special kind of idiot. How did she not realize "well, when I went into Walmart, this car was clean...when I got out, it was dirty and suddenly much nicer and completely different...hmmmmmm." :nutty:
I know a number of people, mostly women, who have very little interest in vehicles and, as a consequence, can barely differentiate them other than by colour and, maybe, size; whereas they do notice every little detail in such things as what someone was wearing.  My wife, of course, is one of these people.  She has 'lost' our car several times in parking lots and, more than once, tried to fit her key into someone else's car; because it was the same colour, red, as hers.

shp4man

Some years ago, we worked on a lady's 95 Tbird. When she came to pick it up, she said it wasn't the right car. So they checked the VIN, plate, everything. It was her car. Then one of the genius service advisors asked her what was different......"This ones smaller" she said.  :lol: :partyon:

Soup DeVille

I have to admit I've gotten in the wrong car before.

It was an early morning, there were like four cars in the parking lot. Two of them were green YJ soft top Wranglers with the exact same aftermarket wheels, parked in the same position three spots down he aisle: in different aisles.

As I got out, the actual owner saw me getting out of his car as he was walking towards mine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on July 12, 2018, 11:55:24 AM
Some years ago, we worked on a lady's 95 Tbird. When she came to pick it up, she said it wasn't the right car. So they checked the VIN, plate, everything. It was her car. Then one of the genius service advisors asked her what was different......"This ones smaller" she said.  :lol: :partyon:

Did you ask of it was possible she just got larger?

shp4man

Another lady had a 2000 Explorer. I worked on this one. On every window in the vehicle, there was a little handmade sign saying something about "sodomizing" Like "sodomizers will burn in hell", "My husband didn't sodomize me", stuff like that.  :nutty:
The sign on the windshield said "Whoever works on this car can't be a sodomizer".  :lol: I may not have been completely qualified to work on the vehicle, unfortunately.  :muffin: :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on July 12, 2018, 12:03:08 PM
Another lady had a 2000 Explorer. I worked on this one. On every window in the vehicle, there was a little handmade sign saying something about "sodomizing" Like "sodomizers will burn in hell", "My husband didn't sodomize me", stuff like that.  :nutty:
The sign on the windshield said "Whoever works on this car can't be a sodomizer".  :lol: I may not have been completely qualified to work on the vehicle, unfortunately.  :muffin: :lol:
Someone with that much sodomy on her mind must fantasize about it :huh:.

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2018, 12:03:08 PM
Did you ask of it was possible she just got larger?

Or maybe higher.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on July 12, 2018, 12:03:08 PM

Depends on her definition of sodomy. If she was going full old school Thomas Aquinas, any sex other than missionary position for the purposes of procreation counts.